Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like sun corals and chili corals specifically. I know you have to feed these, but other than that how hard are they to care for? And do they need an established tank? Could they go in a mixed reef tank? How much should I feed them? I also know that chili corals need to be put upside down.

Nutramar Foods

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like sun corals and chili corals specifically. I know you have to feed these, but other than that how hard are they to care for? And do they need an established tank? Could they go in a mixed reef tank? How much should I feed them? I also know that chili corals need to be put upside down.

I think the best answer is to say that you'd have quite a bit better chance in a very healthy and mature aquarium. These NPS not only feed on what we feed them (hopefully), but also on in-tank micro (bacteria and the like) and macro-organisms (eggs, larvae, small crustaceans, etc.).

Adding such corals to a mixed reef can be successful, but one needs to be especially observant. I've have a Scleronephthya in a very mature small mixed reef for around 1-1/4 years that has had it's flow interrupted by other coral growth (less food) and has been stung on numerous occasions by digitate hydroids. When in optimal conditions without irritations, it does quite well with just 2-3x week feedings in this 14 year old unfiltered system, but when stressed it needs at least daily feedings to recover and hopeful regrow. With frequent feedings comes potential water quality issues that need to be watched and successfully managed.

So, yes, for decades now the small polyped NPS, especially, have been known to be quite difficult to keep over the long term. The large polyped NPS are a better bet for most reef aquarists IMO.

Last edited:
BRS
www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

sp1187

bird flu antidote
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hit mine with what I feed my fish.
mysis, baby brine shrimp, oyster eggs, and ROE.
over 3-4 hours nightly and I save some for morning before the lights come on.
this one started as three polyps.
it's dropped two separate buds which have attached to the scape in other locations.
I have two others, one adding polyps, one not doing as well.
IMG_4143.jpg

I've got three of these, two in the display and one in the frag tub.
they don't need to be mounted upside down.
they prefer high current.

shootingstar_reef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As others said, your likelyhood of keeping one healthy is higher with an older tank (ie established microfauna).

If it helps, it's best to think of NPS corals as another fish - they require hand feeding to get their nutrients and thrive. It's best to feed them with a variety like what you would feed your other marine animals as others already listed. Additionally, I will add that calanus (frozen is great) is also a great feed choice - my opinion is that since they're smaller, it's a little easier for sun corals to grab and digest them. Reef chili and reef roids are also great and can be used to get them to open before their heartier meal. Same with oyster feast.

In my personal experience, they required a bit of nursing before they opened up regularly. I basted food right into their polyps for a while. Also, no need to take them out and feed them, I don't think that's really necessary.

Corals.com
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Top Shelf Aquatics
Back