• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

Novel parasites for researchers to study who are able to meet in person

KingLucy1997

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have in my possession what I believe to be novel parasitic isopods from the Floridian Aquaculture supply chain. There is a 10 gallon tank that contains crushed coral substrate, a
Thalassia testudinum, and some decorations that I have duct taped sealed and a 2.5 gallon tank that contains a stringy green algae that I have also duct taped sealed that are both infested with what seems to be a variety of what seems to be novel parasitic isopods and possibly other novel species of parasite. Additionally, I have some of these parasites trapped in some cleaning supplies that the burrowed into in sealed containers. I will link to you here the full thread in which you can see how I came to discover and describe the behaviors of these parasites: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/what-ate-my-blue-leg-hermits.806947/#post-8914788
If you have any interest in studying these creatures, I would happily give these to you for free. I would prefer to meet in person, but it can be at an intermediary location if you are not local to Minneapolis. Otherwise, I can collect samples from the tanks themselves and put them in individual containers and send them through the mail. You would just be responsible for paying the shipping and handling costs. If you are interested in obtaining the 10 gallon + 2.5 gallon tanks themselves, including the plants in the tanks, decorations, and sponge filter on the 2.5 gallon tank to disturb the parasites as little as possible, that would have to be done in person and I would ask for $50.00 as compensation, but I am open to negotiation on this price.
Pictured are the infested aquariums. I did my best to sterilize the fake driftwood on top of the 10 gallon tank, but I will include that with the $50.00. There may be dead parasites or cysts that have burrowed within this piece of driftwood which could be a good supplementary item to study these parasites.

10-gal with sterilized fake driftwould.jpg 2.5 gal and infested cleaning supply parasite samples.jpg

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Top Shelf Aquatics
Back