View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My setup:
Waterbox AIO 50.3
Tunze DOC 9004 Protein skimmer (9004.001)

I believe the skimmer is not performing well or could perform better. It is set up correctly, but I am not getting enough "dirty" foam. So, I wondered what I could do to add an external protein skimmer. However, I'm not too fond of a HOB skimmer. I would rather have it in my cabinet underneath the aquarium. Did anyone else have the same issue? How did you address it?

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
Jubal_Harshaw

Jubal_Harshaw

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what size tank? Are you getting bubbles?
It is a 50 Gallon AIO. Do you mean in the skimmer? Yes, I get bubbles, white, in the skimmer, but they do not reach the top. The other problem is that I have to push the skimmer very low into the AIO sump because the water level is not too high, and when I do that, the silicon hose gets squeezed on the edge of the AIO.

AquaCave Logo Banner

tmccaff

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best skimmer I ever had was the Deltec 1351 skimmer but wont fit in my new aquarium. Tunze skimmer is good but a bit of a pain to adjust. Once adjusted though you should produce a lot of foam. Is this the DC one or AC one? DC you can adjust air not sure with the AC though.

OP
OP
Jubal_Harshaw

Jubal_Harshaw

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea well if hose is getting squeezed you will not have air going in skimmer to create bubbles. I have the same skimmer and mine produces a lot of foam. You can adjust the air flow as well.
Best skimmer I ever had was the Deltec 1351 skimmer but wont fit in my new aquarium. Tunze skimmer is good but a bit of a pain to adjust. Once adjusted though you should produce a lot of foam. Is this the DC one or AC one? DC you can adjust air not sure with the AC though.
It is a DC, and I can adjust the air intake. I am not saying it is a lousy skimmer. The challenge is that the silicon hose to the silencer is not long enough to allow me to push the skimmer deeper into the sump. I asked Tunze for their recommendations. However, I am looking for alternatives as well.

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar
BRS
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Back