Noob reef chemist - dosing Alk - should I still dose Calc?

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are dosing a true 2 part thats designed to be used 1:1, then you should be dosing the calcium part.

Even if your test kit says not to, you should still dose the equal part of calcium to alkalinity. Took me many years to understand this. Actually had a long discussion with Randy about it a few years back on RC.

BRS
OP
OP
findingsimple

findingsimple

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all - I’ve successfully made the move over to using AF Components Pro. (I think trying to DIY would be a bit much for me personally at the moment).

I’ve settled on a slightly high alk baseline/target than before ~9 and seem to be maintaining stability fairly well.

Within a day or two I can honestly say I was seeing better polyp extension on my sps frags and healthier colours across the board. And after a week more coraline appearing on rocks

I think it was the right time to start dosing calc, mag and the trace elements included. I’ll aim to do an ICP after a month or so to see how things are tracking with more accuracy

Cheers!

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all - I’ve successfully made the move over to using AF Components Pro. (I think trying to DIY would be a bit much for me personally at the moment).

I’ve settled on a slightly high alk baseline/target than before ~9 and seem to be maintaining stability fairly well.

Within a day or two I can honestly say I was seeing better polyp extension on my sps frags and healthier colours across the board. And after a week more coraline appearing on rocks

I think it was the right time to start dosing calc, mag and the trace elements included. I’ll aim to do an ICP after a month or so to see how things are tracking with more accuracy

Cheers!
Great to hear!

Use the ICP as a starting baseline reference, and then check in another 3 months.
You should find everything is stable.

Once you have that done, you can switch over to DIY versions of the macro elements and just add components strong for the trace elements which is what I do. Saves a few dollars :cool:

Nutramar Foods

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
UNLEASH THE FULL POTENTIAL OF YOUR REEF
Back