Noob reef chemist - dosing Alk - should I still dose Calc?

findingsimple

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is about 4 months old. For the past month (maybe closer to 2) I've been dosing Alk to maintain stability at around 8dkh.

Currently I'm up to dosing to add 0.5 dkh a day using Red Sea Foundation B KH/Alk.

I don't dose any Calc and test it roughly once to twice a week (using a Hanna checker).

Past results have been:

456 (today)

I do nightly water change ~7L for a total weekly roughly 10% of my 500L display.

I understand there is a relationship between Calc and Alk consumption and its been niggling on my mind that something isn't quite right for a while. @vetteguy53081 here suggested my Calc might be low but I've never tested low number.

I've been looking around for possible causes/answers and stumbled upon @Randy Holmes-Farley 's post When Do Calcium and Alkalinity Demand Not Exactly Balance? - which has some great info and possible causes for the imbalance.

For me I guess one possible cause for the imbalance is ,my water changes - but it still worries me I'm seeing "pitted skeletons"

I see quotes like "After two days, many aquarists might conclude that they need additional alkalinity, when in reality, they need more of both calcium and alkalinity to stabilize the system." and it makes me wonder if I should just been doing Alk and Calc.

Does anytone have advice on whether I should incorporate a more balanced approach to my dosing? More calc etc.

Thanks in advance.

Nutramar Foods

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is about 4 months old. For the past month (maybe closer to 2) I've been dosing Alk to maintain stability at around 8dkh.

Currently I'm up to dosing to add 0.5 dkh a day using Red Sea Foundation B KH/Alk.

I don't dose any Calc and test it roughly once to twice a week (using a Hanna checker).

Past results have been:

456 (today)

I do nightly water change ~7L for a total weekly roughly 10% of my 500L display.

I understand there is a relationship between Calc and Alk consumption and its been niggling on my mind that something isn't quite right for a while. @vetteguy53081 here suggested my Calc might be low but I've never tested low number.

I've been looking around for possible causes/answers and stumbled upon @Randy Holmes-Farley 's post When Do Calcium and Alkalinity Demand Not Exactly Balance? - which has some great info and possible causes for the imbalance.

For me I guess one possible cause for the imbalance is ,my water changes - but it still worries me I'm seeing "pitted skeletons"

I see quotes like "After two days, many aquarists might conclude that they need additional alkalinity, when in reality, they need more of both calcium and alkalinity to stabilize the system." and it makes me wonder if I should just been doing Alk and Calc.

Does anytone have advice on whether I should incorporate a more balanced approach to my dosing? More calc etc.

Thanks in advance.

0.5 dKh weekly Alk consumption will result in approximately 3.4ppm Ca consumed in the same period.

Now the measurement uncertainty of the Hanna Calcium checker is about 5% so todays reading of 456ppm could really be anything from 434 to 478 ppm. Effectively all those readings are the same reading :) .

Of course you are replenishing Alk and Ca with the water changes, so I really wouldn't bother too much about the Calcium until your consumption is significantly higher.

You could if you wish dose the appropriate amount of Ca, if you have the equipment to automate it.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you used that checker on your new salt water?

The Hanna calcium checker is prone to issues.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
findingsimple

findingsimple

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you used that checker on your new salt water?

The Hanna calcium checker is prone to issues.
I will tomorrow - anything in particular i should be looking for? I’m guessing that it matches the bucket and/or isn’t just giving me the same readings again?

OP
OP
findingsimple

findingsimple

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
0.5 dKh weekly Alk consumption will result in approximately 3.4ppm Ca consumed in the same period.

Now the measurement uncertainty of the Hanna Calcium checker is about 5% so todays reading of 456ppm could really be anything from 434 to 478 ppm. Effectively all those readings are the same reading :) .

Of course you are replenishing Alk and Ca with the water changes, so I really wouldn't bother too much about the Calcium until your consumption is significantly higher.

You could if you wish dose the appropriate amount of Ca, if you have the equipment to automate it.
Just confirming I mentioned 0.5 dkh daily consumption - (you mentioned weekly)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will tomorrow - anything in particular i should be looking for? I’m guessing that it matches the bucket and/or isn’t just giving me the same readings again?

If it reads substantially higher than expected for the salt mix and the measured salinity, then you can conclude one of two things that may explain the calcium not dropping much:

1. The checker is reading high
2. The salt mix is unusually high in calcium (either by an off batch, a salinity mismeasurement, or settling in the batch).

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just confirming I mentioned 0.5 dkh daily consumption - (you mentioned weekly)
At that level of consumption, I'd be considering setting up automated dosing of a balanced two part additive.

OP
OP
findingsimple

findingsimple

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it reads substantially higher than expected for the salt mix and the measured salinity, then you can conclude one of two things that may explain the calcium not dropping much:

1. The checker is reading high
2. The salt mix is unusually high in calcium (either by an off batch, a salinity mismeasurement, or settling in the batch).
Got up and tested. Reading is 470. I'm using Red Sea blue bucket which is supposed to be 415-445 (I usually have to use a little more than directions to get 1.026) so I'd say it's probably fairly close (maybe?)

OP
OP
findingsimple

findingsimple

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At that level of consumption, I'd be considering setting up automated dosing of a balanced two part additive.
I've got Alk on a doser and 2 other pumps free so that won't be an issue - I just want to make sure I'm not going to overdose etc.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CLICK TO VIEW

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would I be making ~3.4ppm back from a 7L water change each day?
If the Alk is dropping even after water changes, then the Ca will also be dropping, however it is comparatively smaller and thus harder to measure.

If you're using a balanced two part system , you dose based on Alkalinity results as they are easier to measure.

The Ca is replaced in the correct ratio that keeps everything (mostly) balanced.

OP
OP
findingsimple

findingsimple

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your tank is four months old, why are you dosing anything? Really shouldn't need any additives for the first year. What corals are in the tank? What size is the tank?

OP
OP
findingsimple

findingsimple

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the Alk is dropping even after water changes, then the Ca will also be dropping, however it is comparatively smaller and thus harder to measure.

If you're using a balanced two part system , you dose based on Alkalinity results as they are easier to measure.

The Ca is replaced in the correct ratio that keeps everything (mostly) balanced.
Thanks @gbroadbridge @Randy Holmes-Farley ill look into adjusting my dosing tomorrow

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
You have to develop a balance with alk and calcium. When this is met- your corals are showing good growth rate and steady consumption levels. There is a correlation between high alkalinity and reduction in calcium whereas higher calcium levels can lower alk. As calcium increases, so does precipitation of calcium carbonate and consumption will depend of type of corals you have and add. This is why often dosing two part works well for many as you can control the two together.

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would forget the calcium checker for a while and dose calcium based off your alkalinity like @gbroadbridge said. :)

I dose Calcium chloride, and sodium carbonate in equal parts. I also use the balling c but that's besides the point an not exactly related.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Champion Lighting & Supply
Back