Non agressive fish addition

Philliesphan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all. I previously made a post about possibly adding a Midas Blenny. I currently have a 60g long aquarium. 2 clowns, a diamond goby, coral beauty angel, pistol shrimp, green star polyp, a zoa, a toadstool and a tree leather. I'd like to add a non aggressive, active, reef safe fish. Was thinking about a Midas Blenny? What are your recommendations. I appreciate your time! :)

VintageReefer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
A Midas Blenny is a good choice. If you like yellow and want another option I would highly recommend a yellow coris wrasse. They are also good utility fish that will scan your rocks for pests and eat them.

OP
OP
P

Philliesphan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A Midas Blenny is a good choice. If you like yellow and want another option I would highly recommend a yellow coris wrasse. They are also good utility fish that will scan your rocks for pests and eat them.
I had a yellow coris wrasse for about a month and a half. And all of a sudden, poof. He went missing. It's been 3 weeks and haven't seen him. Without disturbing the whole tank looking for him, I'm cutting my losses. Nothing in the tank would've harmed him either. I'm at a loss!

VintageReefer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I had a yellow coris wrasse for about a month and a half. And all of a sudden, poof. He went missing. It's been 3 weeks and haven't seen him. Without disturbing the whole tank looking for him, I'm cutting my losses. Nothing in the tank would've harmed him either. I'm at a loss!
Is it possible it jumped out?

If it did perish in the tank, the average cleanup crew would clean up the remains in a day or two.

raythereefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mines jumped out 3 times now and I've got a lid on the tank ! Thankfully each time it was when I was feeding the fish so managed to rescue him. They seem to startle very easily so my bets would be on jumping.

Dburr1014

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could just be in the sand.
My blue star was in the sand for months, never saw him. One day he popped up.

OP
OP
P

Philliesphan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it possible it jumped out?

If it did perish in the tank, the average cleanup crew would clean up the remains in a day or two.
I check every day and didnt see/smell anything around the tank outside. It's frustrating a bit moving forward with new fish additions.

OP
OP
P

Philliesphan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mines jumped out 3 times now and I've got a lid on the tank ! Thankfully each time it was when I was feeding the fish so managed to rescue him. They seem to startle very easily so my bets would be on jumping.
I've been checking around the aquarium everyday and don't see/smell him. I'm at a loss on what to think

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The yellow Coris are susceptible to uronema - it’s possible it succumbed to the infection and the clean up crew took care of the rest.
As for new additions - what kind of pistol shrimp do you have? I wouldn’t want a tank without a pistol-goby pair.

VintageReefer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I will say when I added my coris wrasse he was out in the open the first day or two then was completely missing for about 2 weeks. Then one day he just started coming out again

It’s an interesting fish. He’s first to come out in the morning and he “goes to bed” around 6-7 pm Daily, even if the lights are on full. He seems to have an internal clock, and he has a sand burrow / cave he made under a large coral I have. Once he goes to bed he won’t come back out until the next day, even for food.

And when he hid for 2 weeks, he completely hid. Would not come out for anything. I thought I unfortunately lost him.

I wish you the best. And wouldn’t be surprised if one day he is back like nothing happened.

Maybe sneak up on the tank early in the morning before lights come on, from a distance and see if you can spot him

OP
OP
P

Philliesphan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will say when I added my coris wrasse he was out in the open the first day or two then was completely missing for about 2 weeks. Then one day he just started coming out again

It’s an interesting fish. He’s first to come out in the morning and he “goes to bed” around 6-7 pm Daily, even if the lights are on full. He seems to have an internal clock, and he has a sand burrow / cave he made under a large coral I have. Once he goes to bed he won’t come back out until the next day, even for food.

And when he hid for 2 weeks, he completely hid. Would not come out for anything. I thought I unfortunately lost him.

I wish you the best. And wouldn’t be surprised if one day he is back like nothing happened.

Maybe sneak up on the tank early in the morning before lights come on, from a distance and see if you can spot him
Yeah I keep hearing/reading stuff like this! It's kinda humorous. But a bit worrying. Thank you for the advice!

OP
OP
P

Philliesphan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The yellow Coris are susceptible to uronema - it’s possible it succumbed to the infection and the clean up crew took care of the rest.
As for new additions - what kind of pistol shrimp do you have? I wouldn’t want a tank without a pistol-goby pair.
I'm not 100% sure what kind he is. I got him from a local kid for dirt cheap and he's been hiding for 3 weeks ever since. Just pokes his little head & antennas out everyday. He's a lighter orange/red color.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does it look like this:
IMG_7639.jpeg

If so it’s a tiger pistol shrimp - good with the larger shrimp gobies like cryptocentrus or some amblyeliotris.
If it’s this one it a a candy cane:
1724096040378.jpeg

Better for smaller gobies.

OP
OP
P

Philliesphan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does it look like this:
IMG_7639.jpeg

If so it’s a tiger pistol shrimp - good with the larger shrimp gobies like cryptocentrus or some amblyeliotris.
If it’s this one it a a candy cane:
1724096040378.jpeg

Better for smaller gobies.
So this is the best pic I could get of him lol.

Attachments

• 20240805_184553.jpg
    20240805_184553.jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 22

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like it may be the Caribbean blue leg pistol (or similar). If so, it’s unfortunately not one of the pairing species. Still a pretty shrimp though.

OP
OP
P

Philliesphan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like it may be the Caribbean blue leg pistol (or similar). If so, it’s unfortunately not one of the pairing species. Still a pretty shrimp though.
Do you think I'd be able to get another type of shrimp and be okay? If so, which ones are the best?

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back