Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Simplicity 1000 and 1600 on my 120 Gallon, both are very quiet, the drain from the sump is a bit noisier than the pumps. I looked at the comments, people had made if they had a problem with the pumps, and the company was quick to resolve any issue. 10 settings, Soft Restart Ramping, 10 minute Auto Feeding Restart. Remembers Settings after a Power Failure, including a Dirty One. BTW, any pump will make noise, if air is stuck in the Impeller or around the Mag Drive. 24 Volts DC, minimal heating of the water. Cheap to run, low wattage.

AquaCave Logo Banner

Dburr1014

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd guess that there's a current sensor or calculation in there somewhere that's outputting something like 23.1512123w and it's being rounded to 23 for the screen. That longer number probably bounces around +/- .1w or something as debris/pressure/water height/etc impact the speed of the impellar, and the 42 setting puts you right around 23.5w and the way it gets rounded keeps switching. There may be something in the controller using that output and that's why it gets weird.

My general opinion is that the Jebao pumps are fantastic - but their controllers are definitely lower quality. Just don't run it at 42 if its causing issues.

Some of the controllers are 1-10 or 1-20 for speed, the DCPs are percentage, some are a bunch of visual blocks. Just depends on model and whoever was selling cheap motor controllers at the moment.

I have a whole bunch of DCPs running externally. And some DCWs. If he's talking about running them unprimed and sucking, then yeah, no.

I see a lot of "sicces are quiet" posts - if you feel like fishing around there are a bunch of posts on this forum with decibel meters on them. The SDCs aren't bad - but they're on the louder end as far as DC pumps go. The Syncra Silents are downright loud, and anyone telling you otherwise has some sort of notch hearing loss (which is super common in men above about 35 - anyone who has done any work in a shop without ear protection).
Hey, I resemble that remark!

But seriously, here is my sicce syncra sdc 9.0 dB.

Screenshot_20180217-100403.jpg

Care to post up a jebao dB?
I am interested.

92Miata

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, I resemble that remark!

But seriously, here is my sicce syncra sdc 9.0 dB.

View attachment 2868203

Care to post up a jebao dB?
I am interested.
Screenshot_20221019-111752.png

The drop from 40ish to 30ish is me turning off my skimmer and gyres.

The fans from the G3 Radions are still on - and I can hear them, and I can hear the reef breeders RP-M running - I can't hear the Jebao - so it's quieter than that.

Caveat - this is a 6500 running at 80% - so smaller than your 9.0. More comparable to a 7.0. The Sicce "Syncra SDC" pumps are louder than most DC pumps - they're still basically fine though - and unless you're running a Royal Exclusive skimmer or something, they're not going to be the loudest component. It's the Sicce "Syncra Silent" pumps that people love to recommend for AIO return pump "upgrades" that are super loud.

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

Koh23

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure is it available, but blau kdc pumps are dead silent.

I have 4kdc version, that is 4000lph, hmax (maximum lifting height) is above 3 m, using it as return pump, its plumbed to uv sterilizer and carbon reactor.

Power adjusting in 1% steps, programmable feed times, can be internal or external. And not expensive, bit more than jebao, but cheaper than sicce.... Btw, i replaced sicce with blau... ;)

Dburr1014

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
View attachment 2868223

The drop from 40ish to 30ish is me turning off my skimmer and gyres.

The fans from the G3 Radions are still on - and I can hear them, and I can hear the reef breeders RP-M running - I can't hear the Jebao - so it's quieter than that.

Caveat - this is a 6500 running at 80% - so smaller than your 9.0. More comparable to a 7.0. The Sicce "Syncra SDC" pumps are louder than most DC pumps - they're still basically fine though - and unless you're running a Royal Exclusive skimmer or something, they're not going to be the loudest component. It's the Sicce "Syncra Silent" pumps that people love to recommend for AIO return pump "upgrades" that are super loud.
Okay.
I was running at 70ish % and didn't shut off the skimmer. My high number is my well pump. I waited for it to shut off to snap the screen shot.
I'm glad my sump is in the basement.

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the sicce silent line of pumps on all my tanks. They are all in my bedroom and they are completely silent. The only noise I have is from my overflow.
My 4.0 begs to differ. This is actually the first time I have been a bit let down by Sicce. This pump is loud, has issues starting up after being turned off during feeding (even when disassembled and freshly cleaned) and is loud as heck :grinning-face-with-sweat:
I have been looking at swapping up to a Varios S 2 or 4 very soon

Top Shelf Aquatics

doubleshot00

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Simplicity 1000 and 1600 on my 120 Gallon, both are very quiet, the drain from the sump is a bit noisier than the pumps. I looked at the comments, people had made if they had a problem with the pumps, and the company was quick to resolve any issue. 10 settings, Soft Restart Ramping, 10 minute Auto Feeding Restart. Remembers Settings after a Power Failure, including a Dirty One. BTW, any pump will make noise, if air is stuck in the Impeller or around the Mag Drive. 24 Volts DC, minimal heating of the water. Cheap to run, low wattage.
Ive heard great things about Simplicity pumps. My LFS sells them.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 4.0 begs to differ. This is actually the first time I have been a bit let down by Sicce. This pump is loud, has issues starting up after being turned off during feeding (even when disassembled and freshly cleaned) and is loud as heck :grinning-face-with-sweat:
I have been looking at swapping up to a Varios S 2 or 4 very soon
I recently replaced my return with a varios 4, super dead quiet. My sicce skimmer pump is much louder.

OP
OP
A

Arp_148

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know there are plenty of folks who use the stuff made in China, but I prefer to stick with pumps made in the US, Germany, or Italy. The Syncra SDC 3.0 would be a great comparable option, comes with a 5 yr warranty, and is made with quality products and craftsmanship.
How would you describe the sound from this/the Syncra?

AquaCave Logo Banner
OP
OP
A

Arp_148

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd guess that there's a current sensor or calculation in there somewhere that's outputting something like 23.1512123w and it's being rounded to 23 for the screen. That longer number probably bounces around +/- .1w or something as debris/pressure/water height/etc impact the speed of the impellar, and the 42 setting puts you right around 23.5w and the way it gets rounded keeps switching. There may be something in the controller using that output and that's why it gets weird.

My general opinion is that the Jebao pumps are fantastic - but their controllers are definitely lower quality. Just don't run it at 42 if its causing issues.

Some of the controllers are 1-10 or 1-20 for speed, the DCPs are percentage, some are a bunch of visual blocks. Just depends on model and whoever was selling cheap motor controllers at the moment.

I have a whole bunch of DCPs running externally. And some DCWs. If he's talking about running them unprimed and sucking, then yeah, no.

I see a lot of "sicces are quiet" posts - if you feel like fishing around there are a bunch of posts on this forum with decibel meters on them. The SDCs aren't bad - but they're on the louder end as far as DC pumps go. The Syncra Silents are downright loud, and anyone telling you otherwise has some sort of notch hearing loss (which is super common in men above about 35 - anyone who has done any work in a shop without ear protection).
Well first thing I need to get water through a bunch of filter mats, sucking or pushing doesnt matter.

Is it better to place load on the pulling or pushing side of these pumps? others opinions/experiences on this?

OP
OP
A

Arp_148

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also very interesting is whats most silent:

1. A low capacity model (say a 3500 model) running on 100%
or
2. a higher capacity (say a 8000 model) running on say 50%

Thanks also for all interesting input!

AquaCave Logo Banner

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0

Natural_Reefer

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The key with having a silent Return Pump is using Silicone hose between the pump and return plumbing!
I ran Jebao DCQ-10000 for more than a year and it was quiet and had no issues.
The Jebao pushes good amount of water but most likely anywhere near the specs.
Upgraded to SDC 9.0 and love it.
The Jebao was running at 100% and had to close the gate valve to balance the flow. DCQ-10000 rated 2,600GPH
The Sicce SDC 9.0 running at 53% with gate valve fully opened. SDC 9.0 rated 2,500GPH.

Avast
OP
OP
A

Arp_148

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have use a Jebao DCP-10000

1. Ive never noticed any noise from mine.
2. I’ve never had to deal with noise from it. Newer DC pumps are much quieter than the hum from older AC pumps.
3. I have no idea
4. I’ve only used mine submerged. It can supposedly be inline but above the water level won’t work.
5. They can push water through something but wouldn’t do well pulling water through something. The more resistance there is on the output side the lower the flow will be though.
6. Idk. Mine is the older non Wi-Fi version that’s been running flawlessly for over 3 years now.
Great info. Also more curious about point 5, do you have a reference for this? or is it by own experience?

Gtinnel

10K Club member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great info. Also more curious about point 5, do you have a reference for this? or is it by own experience?
I would have to look up a reference but a centrifugal pump, like most if not all return pumps, are not designed to have any restriction on the intake side. If there is a restriction on the intake it can cause low intake pressure which can cause cavitation. Which is essentially formation of air bubbles that then implode, which can damage the pump.
My only personal experience with this was from a pool pump that had an intake restriction and the cavitation actually eroded the fins off of the impeller.

OP
OP
A

Arp_148

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would have to look up a reference but a centrifugal pump, like most if not all return pumps, are not designed to have any restriction on the intake side. If there is a restriction on the intake it can cause low intake pressure which can cause cavitation. Which is essentially formation of air bubbles that then implode, which can damage the pump.
My only personal experience with this was from a pool pump that had an intake restriction and the cavitation actually eroded the fins off of the impeller.
Very interesting topic that would be great to elaborate more. If anyone else have experience/info please add, or perhaps even better, direct info from Jebao/Jecod (or others).

Up to now, logic say we should not put load on the intake side, rather the output, if we need that. However a more thourough discussion seems to be missing.

AI Nero 5

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Tenecor Aquariums
Back