No CA or ALK uptake?

cdw79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TLDR: my 6 month old tank with a solid amount of coral in it shows no uptake in CA or ALK and I can't figure out why

I've been experiencing a weird set of circumstances where I've had seemingly no CA or ALK uptake, despite having a decent bit of coral in my tank. I've talked to a very knowledgeable owner at an LFS and he doesn't know what the issue is.

I put in a single ML of both ALK and CA each day (minimum my Neptune Trident + DOS will let me). I consistently stay around 420 CA and about 8.6 ALK. I have verified these with Red Sea checkers for both, as well as a Hanna checker for ALK. As far as I can tell, these readings are accurate.

My Maxima clam also continues to show white edges on its shell. This clam came from my old tank and has always been a bit of a canary in the coal mine for me. What I don't understand is how this can be the case while I put next to no two part into my tank. I was using easily 10-20 ml's of each back on my old 65 gal, and that's while being a lot more consistent with water changes than I have been on this tank, as for several months I was trying to increase nutrients up from 0. I've had some corals not make it, like a few acros, a digi, etc. Admittedly these were brought in while I was still struggling with low nutrients. I've lost a few others here and there, but everything has largely been doing well over the past 2-3 months, and a few torches that were once struggling have bounced back.

I just can't make sense of this- it seems to me that if there's growth on the clam, that has to mean CA at the very least is being taken up. Why, then, do I have no clear CA uptake? Same with ALK. I have ordered an ICP test again to see if it will tell me anything different- the last one had a few trace elements off, but nothing especially concerning. Took the results to my LFS and they agreed.

I'm at a bit of a loss. Things are going reasonably well, but I've still not been as successful with coral as I was in my old tank that also started with dry rock. Part of it is definitely due to the early swings in nutrients, but as things are settling down, I can't make sense of this. Does anyone have any idea what might be happening? The tank is far from packed with coral, but I'd be shocked if water changes alone were replacing CA and ALK (especially because levels did not noticeably drop even while I went weeks without a water change back when I was trying to increase nutrients

Background:
5 foot 180 gal display, 30 gal sump
4 XR30s running at 40% on AB+ default settings
Tank has been up since November 2023 (roughly 6 months)
Used MarcoRock and live sand to start. Originally I had issue with the rock absorbing nutrients and making the tank bottom out. Nowadays I have steady nutrients (about 20-25 nitrates and about .2 phosphates, which I'm working on bringing down)

OP
OP
C

cdw79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that likely to be the issue? I've had phosphate in the .2's before but didn't notice an issue with CA or ALK uptake

UMALUM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Low PH?
Been running the HVAC a little more these days?
That's all I can come up with for little to no consumption. I mean your probably not getting the best outta .2 but I've seen higher drink it down. Maybe a combo of both?

OP
OP
C

cdw79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I think (hope) I figured it out.

I was doing my weekly testing this morning and brought out my salinity test. The tank results looked good, until I happened to notice that an expiration date was printed on the bottom of my calibration fluid. Mid 2023. I've been using an expired salinity calibration solution since I started this tank.

Upon getting a new UNEXPIRED calibration solution, sure enough my display was at 1.031, way over what it should be. Honestly I'm surprised the coral in here are all alive with that high salinity. Really does speak to the hardiness of today's aquacultured coral!

My plan is to take it down gradually over the next 2 days or so by slowly scooping out tank water and replacing with RODI, testing all along the way. Thinking once I get it back into range I'll let things sit for awhile and see if I see more uptake in CA and ALK, cheat growth (which has also been incredibly slow), etc. Thinking this may finally be the cause of my issues, crossing my fingers!

shadyraro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I think (hope) I figured it out.

I was doing my weekly testing this morning and brought out my salinity test. The tank results looked good, until I happened to notice that an expiration date was printed on the bottom of my calibration fluid. Mid 2023. I've been using an expired salinity calibration solution since I started this tank.

Upon getting a new UNEXPIRED calibration solution, sure enough my display was at 1.031, way over what it should be. Honestly I'm surprised the coral in here are all alive with that high salinity. Really does speak to the hardiness of today's aquacultured coral!

My plan is to take it down gradually over the next 2 days or so by slowly scooping out tank water and replacing with RODI, testing all along the way. Thinking once I get it back into range I'll let things sit for awhile and see if I see more uptake in CA and ALK, cheat growth (which has also been incredibly slow), etc. Thinking this may finally be the cause of my issues, crossing my fingers!
How did you end up going with this?

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back