Nitrates, Phosphates in preparation for Corals.

sheepdog76

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The OP. In the first post he stated that he ran the tank with no skimmer and no sump. I understand why people with no sump try to avoid a skimmer, but if he has one, then I see it only as a benefit. I see that was your suggestion as well!

Yeah sorry you had replied off of my string so I thought you were asking me. Not sure the OP has a sump. But when I ran no sump I still used a HOB skimmer and it worked well.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
G

GucciYoni

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest getting a skimmer it will help out in the end goal of keeping your tank stable. Still do those water changes using RODI water I’m hoping if not that could be a source of your phosphate.I use two part with a dosing machine.I also prefer chemipure over other brands of active carbon. I keep my numbers as follows
Cal480
Mag1300
Nitrates<10 normally at 0
Nitrite0
Ammonia 0
Phosphates 0
Temp83
Ph8.1
Salinity 1.026

I top off with RODI but I water change with natural sea water

OP
OP
G

GucciYoni

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think your nitrate and phosphate assuming that’s 0.5ppm? Are fine for softies and lps which generally like “dirtier” water. May want to bring your salinity up or if you are using NSW perhaps calibrate your refractometer.
Salinity was tested at the LFS XD

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
G

GucciYoni

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had three skimmerless, sumpless tanks for four years, no crashes, and grew large sps colonies. However, I've been using skimmers for the past year and have to admit that corals, IME, seem to thrive more consistently in skimmed water. The skimmer keeps the water clearer. The money you save on salt will pay for one.

Your softies and lps will love your nutrient levels and should lower them over time. Be aware that happy, growing corals are notorious for sucking NO3 and PO4 out of a tank, and if that happens you will need to feed heavier or dose nutrients (IME).

Hey guys so I appreciate all the feedback, I did a much larger water change yesterday about 30%, when my largest to date has been about 18%, added poly-filter as well. I placed it in the first filter compartment right between biological media and mechanical sponge.. I would buy a skimmer but this tank isnt suitable for one, perhaps the next tank. For skimmerless solutions will be appreciated :)

sheepdog76

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys so I appreciate all the feedback, I did a much larger water change yesterday about 30%, when my largest to date has been about 18%, added poly-filter as well. I placed it in the first filter compartment right between biological media and mechanical sponge.. I would buy a skimmer but this tank isnt suitable for one, perhaps the next tank. For skimmerless solutions will be appreciated :)

What tank are you using? I haven’t found a tank I couldn’t put a skimmer on. If your saying a skimmer won’t fit I would guess a media reactor is out as well.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Neptune
Back