Nitrates and phosphate struggles.

wjm6449

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a new tank (3 months 125 gallon, and been documenting my nitrates and phosphates and struggling to raise them. I have 3 tangs, lawnmower blenny, diamond goby, anthia, flame hawkfish, exsquisite wrasse, another blenny, two clowns. I've for two weeks been dosing nitrates and barely getting a rise. Phosphates I just began dosing last night similiarly; see below:

Also, to note, I had nutrient bombed my tank and did heavy water changes August 13th (like near 80%) due to a vacation. I'm currently running an oversized skimmer, and three filter socks, along with Carbon.

What is the best solution, just begin to overfeed my tank with pellets? Continue dosing on top of it? My Goal is to support a mixed LPS/SPS reef tank. So from my understanding Nitrates I want almost at or around 10, and phosphates around .1?

16-Aug​
PHOS 0.007​
NITRATE 0.7​
29-Aug​
0.08​
1.7​
3 - Sep
0.09​
1.9​

bobnicaragua

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would keep them where they are personally. I use an auto feeder loaded with pellets, plus feed frozen and nori at night.

If you switch to the filter socks that are 1/2 mesh and 1/2 felt your nutrients should go up. Mine went up so much after a few months that I switched back to just felt.

OP
OP
wjm6449

wjm6449

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would keep them where they are personally. I use an auto feeder loaded with pellets, plus feed frozen and nori at night.
Well, I mean Phosphates seem golden, however my nitrates are low... I also have a hammer that wont come out, whereas I have two torches and another hammer that has come out... No pests on the hammer I'm referencing. Temp is at 78 degrees. I dont have any other parameters at this time - need to buy the hanna checkers. Also I feed daily have a cube of mysis, and a half sheet of nori (all my fish are juvies, and pretty tiny)

PotatoPig

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look into Randy’s DIY ammonia dosing for a much more economical way to add bioavailable nitrogen:

For phosphates - these might be getting absorbed by rocks for the time being. If they stay low then you could dose reef roids and not have to worry too much about them being high in phosphates.

Last edited:

bobnicaragua

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have a young tank. I would keep your nutrients fairly low. They’re in a pretty good range now, especially for SPS, which is what you need to cater to in a mixed reef.

I seriously doubt that your hammer is closed because your nitrates are 2.

exnisstech

Grumpy old man
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Euphylia can be difficult and not a coral I would recommend for a new tank. I struggle to keep them even after 8+ years. Your numbers look good to me. I like to watch numbers and not intervene too soon when starting a new tank. Often things settle in after some time an intervening too soon can complicate that process IME

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back