Nitrate and Phosphate too low, turn down/off fuge? lights.

OP
OP
TurmanLucas

TurmanLucas

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you claiming corals need bacteria to take up nitrate and phosphate?
Well I don’t claim that but Lou Ekus from tropic Marin does, it makes sense to me, what do you think about that? Your more an expert than I’ll ever be Randy lol, thanks for chiming in.

OP
OP
TurmanLucas

TurmanLucas

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I can see good reasons to dose nutrients and maintain the refugium as usual (O2 at night, food for filter feeders), but certainly backing off on the fuge time or intensity is an easy plan to implement.
Exactly what I will do next, I’ll will cut my photo period the charro gets from 14 hours to 4 and see where that takes me then maybe I’ll adjust the intensity afterwards I currently have about half way anyway

DOJOLOACH

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I’m definitely going to keep using my co2 scrubber, you can get the calcium hydroxide media very cheap online and it works just as great. I think I will dial back my fuge from 14 hours a day down to 4 to see where that takes me, I’ll leave the intensity where it’s at and scale that back eventually if I don’t get enough results
Keep us posted I'm curious how it turns out

World Wide Corals

SPS2020

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Following along as I am in exactly the same boat...uh, tank. Dosing TM, scrubber on skimmer, 10 hour photo period on fuge, etc. Small Dino outbreak; just enough to get the filter socks snotty every 12 hours. I too, will cut back on fuge photo period and see what happens. I know if I take the skimmer off line too long, it will have an affect on the pH without the CO2 scrubber active. It will be interesting to see where we all end up.

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I’m definitely going to keep using my co2 scrubber, you can get the calcium hydroxide media very cheap online and it works just as great. I think I will dial back my fuge from 14 hours a day down to 4 to see where that takes me, I’ll leave the intensity where it’s at and scale that back eventually if I don’t get enough results
I meant algae scrubber.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
TurmanLucas

TurmanLucas

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
any update?
Late reply but yeah man I’m dosing NeoPhos and NeoNitro now along side chaeto Gro, oh also got more fish and I’m feeding more left the fuge lights alone but soon I’ll install a dimmer to my Pax Bellum... not sure if it’s much needed but I like to tinker lol

But I must say the colors of the tank has much improved

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
AquaNerd
Back