Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i could be wrong but as far as im concerned the toxin is a response to threat, such as when fragging. also the toxin is a concern only when the coral is out of water. basically just wear gloves for basic handling but add eyewear and facemask when fragging. also wash hands after you touch anything.

BRS

mike550

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's a non-zero probability that it's in your tank even if you don't have zoanthids, but there's also a non-zero probability that it's not in your tank even if you do have zoanthids. So, you might have it in the tank, or you might not.

To my knowledge it’s unconfirmed at this point, but it is suspected that the palytoxin is actually produced by bacteria rather than the zoanthids themselves (which could explain at least in part why palytoxin is found in other organisms like sponges and such). If it is produced by bacteria, then the quantities of the palytoxin producing bacteria in the vicinity of a paly/zoa may determine how toxic it is - this would explain a good deal about the variation in toxicity between specimens of the same species.

My source about it possibly being produced by bacteria (the last paragraph before the section two header):
Thanks for the link to the NIH article. That was really cool. I can already see the movie where someone gets assassinated by injection of PTX while at a tropical location and they decide the person died because he cut his hand on a coral.

Tired

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
News articles that blame an entire family getting sick on palys simply being present in the house are wrong. Now, boiling palys, sure, that'll mess you up. But them just being in the tank? Nope. That's more likely something like a gas leak.

CLICK TO VIEW

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should probably clarify. I did remove the two frags, I’m concerned with the possibility of any residual toxin that could be in the system.

To start with palytoxin is very dangerous and you are justified to be concerned. The safety measures mentioned above effective methods ot protect yourself from exposure.

Here's some links in addition to @ISpeakForTheSeas refference. Strictly speaking, any marine system that can grow single cell algae in it has the potenital for having palytoxin in it, whether or not it ever had palys/zoas. It's just that palys/zoas have gotten a lot of attention when uniformed aquarists thought the term"cooking" rock meant to literally cook it and made national news by being stuck in an ICU for days because they boiled their live rock and aerisolized palytoxin. FWIW, the only confirmed deaths I've been able to find are individuals that have eaten contaminated seafood and "ciguatera" poisoning is synonymous with palytoxin poisoning.

There's also this thought provoking and cautionary paper for those who don't think they've been exposed.

OP
OP
greenmandarin

greenmandarin

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's some links in addition to @ISpeakForTheSeas refference. Strictly speaking, any marine system that can grow single cell algae in it has the potenital for having palytoxin in it, whether or not it ever had palys/zoas. It's just that palys/zoas have gotten a lot of attention when uniformed aquarists thought the term"cooking" rock meant to literally cook it and made national news by being stuck in an ICU for days because they boiled their live rock and aerisolized palytoxin. FWIW, the only confirmed deaths I've been able to find are individuals that have eaten contaminated seafood and "ciguatera" poisoning is synonymous with palytoxin poisoning.
I found an article that’s about 2 years old of a heartland tx man dying from cleaning his tank….that is one of the reasons for the concern.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
greenmandarin

greenmandarin

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re fine! If by just having one in a tank at some point of it’s life poisoned the water and rocks we’d all be dead lol.. at some point every single coral we have in every single persons tanks has crossed paths with Zoas and palys at some point in there life.. nothing to worry about unless chopping them up..

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Eric R.

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have removed them from the tank, I doubt there should be an issue. Run carbon for a while if you'd like.

However, just pointing out that while it may seem ridiculous to some to break down a tank due to palys, for those that don't know Joe Yaiullo of the Long Island Aquarium broke down and bleached a 20+ year old, 20,000 gallon tank primarily to get rid of palythoa (he did a talk at MACNA on it this past year). I had some in my tank (the good ol' brown and green texas trash palys), and I tossed those things. I have some nice colorful zoanthids still. I don't see any reason to keep fairly unattractive, possibly (likely?) toxic corals in my tank that spread everywhere, when there are plenty of more attractive and likely less dangerous alternatives.

Tired

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Eric R.

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joe mentioned in his talk he would get symptoms just from diving in the tank. He also referenced a friend who's family got sick when he received some palys on his birthday.

Some things could be coincidence (just because a family gets symptoms, they might actually relate to some other communicative disease than palytoxin), but when Joe mentions getting sick several times (as well as other possible symptoms), and relates it to diving in the aquarium, I think it's worth considering.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I completely removed the frags during the tank switch and did not add them back to the 75. They had not moved off the plugs yet , my concern now is the question mark in regards to if we have palytoxin in the tank now.
They won't move; they're glued to the plugs.

My opinion would be that if they are happy with their location in a tank (not stressing), then no, they probably have not released any toxins in the water.

On the other side, maybe a portion of your rockscape collapses and lands on a Paly. In that scenario, I wouldn't be surprised to learn toxins were released.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i could be wrong but as far as im concerned the toxin is a response to threat, such as when fragging. also the toxin is a concern only when the coral is out of water. basically just wear gloves for basic handling but add eyewear and facemask when fragging. also wash hands after you touch anything.
Sound advice.

stephanadams

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So a little background info to start…we set up a 55 gallon tank with the intent of having a fish only tank. At the end of November we purchased 2 small ($10.00) coral frags. Unfortunately we did not do research and blindly purchased what turned out to be a Zoa and a Paly I believe. us vps server

Fast forward to last week and we decided to move everything to a 75 gallon tank. I kept all the rock from the old tank, 75% of the sand and roughly 35 gallons of the water from the old tank. During this time I stumbled upon a video in regards to Palytoxin and realized we potentially introduced this to our tank.

Now I’m terrified that we have Palytoxin in the tank which is in our living room with an open top.

During the tank transfer the plugs with the corals went out of the tank and we did not put them back into the 75 gallon tank.

My concern is that I moved all the rock and most of the sand from one tank to the other and at least 50% of the water that’s in the new tank is from the old.

During the time they were in the 55 gallon tank we were moving them trying to find a spot they liked and would regularly wake up to find the crabs or snails had knocked them off the rock and the plug would be in the sand.

The first poly we had closed up after a couple of weeks and never opened again so we removed it and I purchased another one.

How worried should we realistically be? I am at the point of just calling the local store and having them come take everything down and remove it.

I have attached pictures of the two plugs and corals when we removed them.

I could be overreacting but this has made me worry so much I’m just done with it and sure at some point it will cause an issue even with them out of the tank. View attachment 2990136

View attachment 2990137
Enjoy the process!
i like it

Top Shelf Aquatics

Double monti 61

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never had a problem bare hands in tank and water in mouth syphoning during water changes and my sexy shrimp love to live in my paly’s.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 7

Stomatopods17

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kinda crazy thinking about what a tiny little coral can inflict on a human but our fish are seemingly unaffected.

When I was a careless teen I would gloves off pick up and place zoas, never palys from what I can remember, thankfully never had an issue and I was pretty good about washing my hands constantly.

Now I'm actually researching this stuff and wondering how concerned I should be and if I dodged a bullet for years. I'm not afraid of poisonous things frankly, even tarantulas over time can make you develop allergies that you can't even be in the same room as them anymore, but I do wonder how exactly palytoxin works (I am not a toxicologist so apologies if some of these sound dumb to the way toxins work).

a) how active is it? Does it have a lifetime on surfaces where it only briefly stays 'poisonous' or is a permanently active toxin that once on a surface remains there until removed. Story about the guy who washed old frag plugs makes me believe its a permanent residue.

b) what destroys it? I remember reading vinegar is a big no no as the vapors can also carry it (same guy as method in a), so what cleaning solutions are safe exactly? Does it remain on hand soap bars, and aquarium textures like the glass's silicone?

c) how much does it spread? Does a colony (lets say hand size) getting disturbed render the entire tank a biohazard for a few hours, days, etc until carbon works, or is the poison limited to a general area around the coral and then broken up by the current in a way a dose of it would be unoticable/insignificant?

d) hypothetically, does it spread in a way where if a fish swam and disturbed the coral, it releases the poison, and water splashing out of the aquarium can infect a surface? More specifically in my case, would a mantis beating a crab senseless over a zoa garden result in a biohazard where any maintance would be a risk for awhile?

Frankly I treated every coral I had as if it could blind me, I was always more scared of my giant toadstool leather.

Last edited:
Top Shelf Aquatics

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
SaltwaterAquarium.com
Back