Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds like your Toadstool was brown from the get-go. If this is the case then it's definitely not a Japanese TS. At least it wouldn't be called that here, in the US. I say, "in the US" because your profile shows you're from Lancaster. I do not know if that's Lancaster, England or Lancaster, PA.

Nutramar Foods

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
trying to behave at work so I'll follow up later
Exactly when did this behavior start? Turning a new leaf? If so, there is hope for me. Well, maybe not...

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

danieyella

unfriendly local swamp witch
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly when did this behavior start? Turning a new leaf? If so, there is hope for me. Well, maybe not...
I am trying to set a good example for my team. Or some thing like that....

OP
OP
helwrj28

helwrj28

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the easiest way to figure out whether you have a green one or a brown one, is to ask the simple question of what color was it in the store? If it was green then you have a green one, maybe it's a difference in lighting that's not making it fluoresce the same way you saw at the store - maybe it's still a little bit of stress from the change.

GSP always went through random days of brooding for me, I doubt it's related.

I should have photos of both somewhere, trying to behave at work so I'll follow up later lol
Appreciate the help, all I know is it didn't look this brown when it was in the fish store and I swear it had more purplish tentacles

Top Shelf Aquatics

dedragon

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This morning in natural light.. what do you think?

Appreciate the help, all I know is it didn't look this brown when it was in the fish store and I swear it had more purplish tentacles
Given this info I would also have to say this is unfortunately not a japanese weeping willow. Hopefully they didnt overcharge you using that name

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do! And to answer your inquiry about location I'm in Lancaster in the US
Okay, then we're going to test your sense of humor.

The title of this thread is, "New toadstool -- should I be concerned?" My initial thought was that I'd be more concerned with that white sport coat you have on in your profile pic! :winking-face-with-tongue:

OP
OP
helwrj28

helwrj28

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Given this info I would also have to say this is unfortunately not a japanese weeping willow. Hopefully they didnt overcharge you using that name
Fair point! From what I see most of the prices on livestock seem comparable to what I can find online

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
helwrj28

helwrj28

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the coloration on the toadstool is improving and starting to show green under blue lighting with polyps more extended!

I tested nitrates and they're around 20 ppm.. definitely higher than I thought, probably from the reef chili I've used a few times, guess I'll cut back on the feeding. Everything looks good though except GSP is still not opening.. should I do a water change or just wait it out? I don't want to keep tinkering.. in hopes of trying to have stability..

rja

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
JME,
Sometimes you buy a coral and your tank params/lighting are similar and it just opens right up and looks great.

Sometimes you buy a coral and it looks like crap for a few days or even a week until it acclimates to its new environment.

I would never sweat a coral unless it’s literally visibly dying, like bleaching or melting apart.

Your toadstool is partially open which is great and means it will definitely be fine.

As far as it being a weeping willow— almost no toadstools sold as weeping willows are real. The real ones have draped over tentacles that extend literally to the base. Unless you paid $100 for it— I wouldn’t be too upset.

OP
OP
helwrj28

helwrj28

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
JME,
Sometimes you buy a coral and your tank params/lighting are similar and it just opens right up and looks great.

Sometimes you buy a coral and it looks like crap for a few days or even a week until it acclimates to its new environment.

I would never sweat a coral unless it’s literally visibly dying, like bleaching or melting apart.

Your toadstool is partially open which is great and means it will definitely be fine.

As far as it being a weeping willow— almost no toadstools sold as weeping willows are real. The real ones have draped over tentacles that extend literally to the base. Unless you paid $100 for it— I wouldn’t be too upset.
Appreciate your input and yeah I definitely didn't pay that much! I see the color improving and I stopped into the LFS and looked at the mother colony and it has visibly greenish tentacles that are quite long (but yeah I doubt a true weeping) under blue/actinic lighting. Under white light mine looks exactly like the mother colony too -- definitely peace of mind!

Now if I could just figure out why my GSP isn't opening

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back