Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased a Toadstool mushroom (was told it's a Japanese weeping willow), from my LFS a few days ago, and after taking it home and acclimating it, it still has a brownish color.. the polyps are extending during lighting but the color remains a brownish hue. I'll have some pics later to better describe.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
helwrj28

helwrj28

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some pictures

Attachments

• IMG_20230216_103136.jpg
    IMG_20230216_103136.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_20230216_103139.jpg
    IMG_20230216_103139.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_20230216_103147.jpg
    IMG_20230216_103147.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 81
Top Shelf Aquatics

fishguy242

Cronies
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
give it time to settle,poss get color back ? ...
little small for me to give positive id , do know ,when polyps are fully extended ,shut flow ,
just a reg "fancy toad " polyps will fall over ,Jap stay extended, JME... :)

OP
OP
helwrj28

helwrj28

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
give it time to settle,poss get color back ? ...
little small for me to give positive id , do know ,when polyps are fully extended ,shut flow ,
just a reg "fancy toad " polyps will fall over ,Jap stay extended, JME... :)
Thanks, is it common for color to change like this? When I brought it home it's flesh was more brown (I figured from stress), and has persisted since.

Also this is the first day I notice the GSP (also shown in pic) not opened.. haven't tested nitrates in a few days so I'll consider that.. anything else I should be concerned about?

World Wide Corals
OP
OP
helwrj28

helwrj28

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can be yes , not usually in leathers,
GSP ?? check your parameters ,make sure you know where at.
do nothing to change params fast...;)
Interesting.. yeah it wasn't observed this brown in the fish store but soon as I brought it home I noticed the color change.. even before acclimation or dip..

And yeah will check parameters for the sake of GSP

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
helwrj28

helwrj28

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did the gsp stop opening after you placed the toadstool in with it? You may want to run some carbon.
I put the toadstool in on Tues and first day GSP didn't open up was this morning so I guess could make sense! I have some carbon I'll add.. do you recommend in DT too? I stopped using carbon because concerns with HLLE

I also dusted some sand off the GSP with a turkey baster last night after it closed.. could still be stressed from that too right?

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Cantusaurus

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
color should improve. Just give it time. toadstools in my experience can get the color back fairly quick. Just put it in a good spot. They like medium flow. nothing too extreme. Low flow is fine, but they seem a bit happier closer to medium flow usually. Good lighting also helps.

Cantusaurus

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put the toadstool in on Tues and first day GSP didn't open up was this morning so I guess could make sense! I have some carbon I'll add.. do you recommend in DT too? I stopped using carbon because concerns with HLLE

I also dusted some sand off the GSP with a turkey baster last night after it closed.. could still be stressed from that too right?
GSP should be fine. They shouldn’t be that affected by chemicals released. Just keep things stable for them and they’ll be fine. If they get good flow they’ll be fine.

Carbon might not be necessary, but if you add carbon it can be done in low amounts. if you use carbon just be careful to rinse it. I usually rinse the media bag of carbon under tap and then soak it in DI water for a couple seconds. I like to use a filter pad and sort of wrap it or place it on the outside of the media bag where water passes after it goes through the carbon so it can trap carbon particles.
if you have a reactor turn it on, and just run the water into a bucket to rinse it. And again I use a filter pad where the output is to catch particles. A small sock can work as well.
If you have questions let me know.

kevgib67

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I would just run it as a precaution until your toadstool settles in and is happy. Good luck.

Top Shelf Aquatics

LordofCinder

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine also looks brown in the morning before the lights come on, but once the lights are on, it is a nice flourescent green,

IDK, the only thing I can think of is that you don't have a "japanese" toadstool, japanese toadstool just means a green toadstool. Maybe you just have a normal brown one, its the only thing I can think of.

CLICK TO VIEW

danieyella

unfriendly local swamp witch
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the easiest way to figure out whether you have a green one or a brown one, is to ask the simple question of what color was it in the store? If it was green then you have a green one, maybe it's a difference in lighting that's not making it fluoresce the same way you saw at the store - maybe it's still a little bit of stress from the change.

GSP always went through random days of brooding for me, I doubt it's related.

I should have photos of both somewhere, trying to behave at work so I'll follow up later lol

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
https://www.triton.de/en/
Back