+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

After years of having fresh water aquariums, have decided to try saltwater aquariums. Contacted Custome Aquariums and got a quote for a rather large tank, it would go in my sunroom. It’ll be 84” L x 36” W x 32” H. It’ll have their steel stand with wrapped wood cabinet outside and no canopy (decided not to go with the canary).

my question is, is this good idea to start with such a massive tank? Never had any salt water tanks and always heard they are much harder to maintain compared to freshwater tanks! Spoke to my local fish store and they said they would do all the set ups, plumbing and etc. and they would also do no-weekly or monthly maintenance since I have no clue about these tanks.

what you all think? Go smaller or stay the same size?

Thank you,
JP.

mike550

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @JP45 Sorry this ended up being longer than I expected.

I started with a 120G (48x24x24) and had a similar arrangement with a LFS. They would help me figure out all of the equipment, set it up, etc. then help with stocking and maintenance. I learned a few things along the way. First, they did a very nice job with the equipment choices (although I did take out a very pricey chiller), and set everything up for me. So that was valuable. But after the sale and installation they pretty much vanished. While they were happy to sell me salt, livestock, etc. they consistently avoided doing service calls, so I had to figure it out myself. BRS, SaltwaterAquarium videos, and R2R were super helpful.

Two years into it, and as much as I continue to try and find someone local to service the tank it’s hard to get this done. I’m starting to think it’s me :) So now I’m doing all of the tank maintenance, installed an Apex, replaced filter socks with a fleece system, and currently rescaping my tank. It‘s been a painful process, and not nearly as easy or as enjoyable as I hoped it would be. I’ve learned a lot along the way and in hindsight would have made some changes in the beginning. But here again, I was relying on the expertise of the LFS.

The two lessons I’ve learned. First, you‘ve got a really big tank. Make sure your LFS can handle it. I would ask for references and possibly even looking at customer tanks. Everyone can post nice pictures, but they don’t show service after the sale. Second, you’re going to end up having to get your arms wet to a certain degree and understand what’s going on in your tank. You’ll be the one seeing it every day so you’ll be first to see problems.

Good luck!

Stephen8169301

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A
Hi everyone,

After years of having fresh water aquariums, have decided to try saltwater aquariums. Contacted Custome Aquariums and got a quote for a rather large tank, it would go in my sunroom. It’ll be 84” L x 36” W x 32” H. It’ll have their steel stand with wrapped wood cabinet outside and no canopy (decided not to go with the canary).

my question is, is this good idea to start with such a massive tank? Never had any salt water tanks and always heard they are much harder to maintain compared to freshwater tanks! Spoke to my local fish store and they said they would do all the set ups, plumbing and etc. and they would also do no-weekly or monthly maintenance since I have no clue about these tanks.

Thank you,
JP.
The big question do you plan on keeping corals? Or are you just going to fish only

CLICK TO VIEW

Slocke

Wrasse Nerd
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A bigger tank is in many ways easier because water quality is far more stable in a big tank and in saltwater water quality is by far the most important thing. The issue with a big tank is that it takes a lot more time and money to get a full blown reef up and running. This site is a great resource and if you share your plans I’m sure we’ll be able to help.
Do you have a vision of what type of tank you are aiming for ?

An issue with an LFS running your tank is they are always looking to make sales and will sell you stuff you don’t need or livestock that won’t work out long term.

OP
OP
JP45

JP45

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @JP45 Sorry this ended up being longer than I expected.

I started with a 120G (48x24x24) and had a similar arrangement with a LFS. They would help me figure out all of the equipment, set it up, etc. then help with stocking and maintenance. I learned a few things along the way. First, they did a very nice job with the equipment choices (although I did take out a very pricey chiller), and set everything up for me. So that was valuable. But after the sale and installation they pretty much vanished. While they were happy to sell me salt, livestock, etc. they consistently avoided doing service calls, so I had to figure it out myself. BRS, SaltwaterAquarium videos, and R2R were super helpful.

Two years into it, and as much as I continue to try and find someone local to service the tank it’s hard to get this done. I’m starting to think it’s me :) So now I’m doing all of the tank maintenance, installed an Apex, replaced filter socks with a fleece system, and currently rescaping my tank. It‘s been a painful process, and not nearly as easy or as enjoyable as I hoped it would be. I’ve learned a lot along the way and in hindsight would have made some changes in the beginning. But here again, I was relying on the expertise of the LFS.

The two lessons I’ve learned. First, you‘ve got a really big tank. Make sure your LFS can handle it. I would ask for references and possibly even looking at customer tanks. Everyone can post nice pictures, but they don’t show service after the sale. Second, you’re going to end up having to get your arms wet to a certain degree and understand what’s going on in your tank. You’ll be the one seeing it every day so you’ll be first to see problems.

Good luck!
Thank you Mike. Lots of useful information. It would really suck if my LFS drop the ball like that and don’t do the maintenance. Due to very busy work schedule, I won’t have much time to maintenance the tank or try to learn everything at my own. I will have to talk to those guys and see what they say.

World Wide Corals

Stephen8169301

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Would eventually like to keep corals as well.
If I’m being honest if I had the opportunity to have a big butt tank I would lol just don’t have the space or money you can just get cooler fish I would really learn and watch vids so you can take care of your tank also make sure you get a qt tank also because it would suck to have to catch fish that you just put In that are sick

OP
OP
JP45

JP45

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A bigger tank is in many ways easier because water quality is far more stable in a big tank and in saltwater water quality is by far the most important thing. The issue with a big tank is that it takes a lot more time and money to get a full blown reef up and running. This site is a great resource and if you share your plans I’m sure we’ll be able to help.
Do you have a vision of what type of tank you are aiming for ?

An issue with an LFS running your tank is they are always looking to make sales and will sell you stuff you don’t need or livestock that won’t work out long term.
Would like to keep a community tank with the type of fishes that get along well with each other. Then like to add corals. But to be honest, I have zero clue about saltwater tanks. Don’t want to start this new reef hobby and get frustrated due to being not successful then giving it up out of frustration and spending $20k on the tank and equipment!

OP
OP
JP45

JP45

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I’m being honest if I had the opportunity to have a big butt tank I would lol just don’t have the space or money you can just get cooler fish I would really learn and watch vids so you can take care of your tank also make sure you get a qt tank also because it would suck to have to catch fish that you just put In that are sick
Been reading a lot and watching YouTube. Know the importance of quarantine tank via years of having fresh water tanks, mostly Discus fish. How big the quarantine tank should be?

Top Shelf Aquatics

Stephen8169301

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Would like to keep a community tank with the type of fishes that get along well with each other. Then like to add corals. But to be honest, I have zero clue about saltwater tanks. Don’t want to start this new reef hobby and get frustrated due to being not successful then giving it up out of frustration and spending $20k on the tank and equipment!
Why not get a 40 breeder start a small tank and learn the game give it a year build you tank after a year then transfer into the big tank and keep 40 breeder as qt

OP
OP
JP45

JP45

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not get a 40 breeder start a small tank and learn the game give it a year build you tank after a year then transfer into the big tank and keep 40 breeder as qt
That’s what I was thinking as well. I could still use the tank for fresh water and once I’m ready to go bigger, then I can switch to the saltwater since it’ll have the sump and etc in place. Would that make sense?

mike550

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Mike. Lots of useful information. It would really suck if my LFS drop the ball like that and don’t do the maintenance. Due to very busy work schedule, I won’t have much time to maintenance the tank or try to learn everything at my own. I will have to talk to those guys and see what they say.
I hear you. That was my orignal plan as well. I was hoping for weekly, biweekly, or monthly service calls where I could do nominal things like refilling the ATO, feeding, water changes (possibly), etc. Just didn’t work out that way.

I did talk to a couple of other LFS and they don’t want to travel 30 min or so to service. But for their client tanks they also add fish, corals, etc. You pay for the livestock, but at least one LFS offers 45 day warranty on his fish placed into a system that he maintains.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Stephen8169301

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That’s what I was thinking as well. I could still use the tank for fresh water and once I’m ready to go bigger, then I can switch to the saltwater since it’ll have the sump and etc in place. Would that make sense?
How big is your current tank in gal?

OP
OP
JP45

JP45

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear you. That was my orignal plan as well. I was hoping for weekly, biweekly, or monthly service calls where I could do nominal things like refilling the ATO, feeding, water changes (possibly), etc. Just didn’t work out that way.

I did talk to a couple of other LFS and they don’t want to travel 30 min or so to service. But for their client tanks they also add fish, corals, etc. You pay for the livestock, but at least one LFS offers 45 day warranty on his fish placed into a system that he maintains.
I’m exactly 30 minutes away as well from that store. I’ll be speaking to the owner tmw and see what they even charge for coming out and etc. but can’t afford to end up doing everything all on my own, at least not for a few months till I feel more comfortable with the reef systems and all the other things go to make a healthy eco system in reefs. Feel very comfortable with freshwater but reef is much more complicated to me.

World Wide Corals
OP
OP
JP45

JP45

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do a 40 breeder
Ok. Thank you

So get the custom tank form customer aquariums, run freshwater till I feel comfortable with saltwater then switch it to saltwater since it’ll have the sump and all other necessary equipments for saltwater. Would that be a good idea?

Stephen8169301

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ok. Thank you

So get the custom tank form customer aquariums, run freshwater till I feel comfortable with saltwater then switch it to saltwater since it’ll have the sump and all other necessary equipments for saltwater. Would that be a good idea?
Yeah but the only issue if you run a bigger tank you’ll need a bigger protein skimmer maybe before making a decision really look through forms and vids you can definitely do this all @vetteguy53081 can give you advice possibly also

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Hi everyone,

Thank you,
JP.
For me . . Bigger is better. Its more forgiving for maintenance, stocking, enjoyment and room for fish and coral growth. The only drawback is catching a fish for removal if the need arises but ive done very well with a fish trap.
Sunroom, may be an algae headache as the power of UV penetrate tinting, shades, blinds- you name it
Custom aquariums does very good work, but the one question you must face- What if the maintenance support you will have dissolves- Can you manage on your own?
If not- go smaller
Big tank does not necessarily mean big equipment but again. . Bigger is better

OP
OP
JP45

JP45

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah but the only issue if you run a bigger tank you’ll need a bigger protein skimmer maybe before making a decision really look through forms and vids you can definitely do this all @vetteguy53081 can give you advice possibly also
Good point regarding the protein skimmer! Thank you
For me . . Bigger is better. Its more forgiving for maintenance, stocking, enjoyment and room for fish and coral growth. The only drawback is catching a fish for removal if the need arises but ive done very well with a fish trap.
Sunroom, may be an algae headache as the power of UV penetrate tinting, shades, blinds- you name it
Custom aquariums does very good work, but the one question you must face- What if the maintenance support you will have dissolves- Can you manage on your own?
If not- go smaller
Big tank does not necessarily mean big equipment but again. . Bigger is better
I do have blinds in sunroom and can get the windows tinted. My plan is to learn from them while they come to the bi-weekly/monthly maintenance and read more information online then eventually, I’ll be able to take care it myself. But with my super schedule, it would take a few months of LFS to come and do all that. If they drop the ball, I would have issues. Planning to speak to the owner of LFS in a meeting and to make sure they can help for me at least severl months, otherwise I’ll go smaller saltwater tank. Thanks again

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back