New tank

chases

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just set up my new 10 gallon tank with Ato and everything and wondering what should I need to test for and when should I be ready to get fish .

IMG_3099.jpeg

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on the new tank.

There are several ways to go about this.

If you want to add the fish right away, you can get a bottle of beneficial bacteria, like Dr Tims and a solid test kit like Red Sea or tropic Marin for ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, PH and add your fish. Conduct weekly 15-20% water changes with continued use of adding beneficial bacteria, or you can be patient and wait for the tank to fully cycle by adding ammonia supplement to the tank feeding the nitrogen cycle. Once nitrite and ammonia test 0 you are good to go.

OP
OP
C

chases

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on the new tank.

There are several ways to go about this.

If you want to add the fish right away, you can get a bottle of beneficial bacteria, like Dr Tims and a solid test kit like Red Sea or tropic Marin for ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, PH and add your fish. Conduct weekly 15-20% water changes with continued use of adding beneficial bacteria, or you can be patient and wait for the tank to fully cycle by adding ammonia supplement to the tank feeding the nitrogen cycle. Once nitrite and ammonia test 0 you are good to go.
What do you suggest and than if you have any knowledge on this at some point I plan to add coral what would the time span for that look like too

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corals need more stable environment and depending on the coral you want the waiting game changes. Also depending on the fish you choose will determine what corals you can have or not.

If you can be patient for approx 30 days for the tank to cycle, I always suggest that. You should also leave the lights off for the first few weeks to avoid unnecessary algae growth while the beneficial bacteria populates on the rock.

OP
OP
C

chases

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corals need more stable environment and depending on the coral you want the waiting game changes. Also depending on the fish you choose will determine what corals you can have or not.

If you can be patient for approx 30 days for the tank to cycle, I always suggest that. You should also leave the lights off for the first few weeks to avoid unnecessary algae growth while the beneficial bacteria populates on the rock.
Yeah I’ll defintaly be able to wait just wanted to know the time frames so thank you!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Just set up my new 10 gallon tank with Ato and everything and wondering what should I need to test for and when should I be ready to get fish .

IMG_3099.jpeg
Youre in the process of cycling. Did you add ammonia chloride or something to increase ammonia initially ?
Adding 1.5ml of liquid bacteria such as MicroBacter XLM per ten gallons daily for next 2 weeks will assure bacteria is sufficient and supported. When ammonia rises then falls and holds a steady reading of Zero for at least 5 days and also nitrate rises and falls and holds at 20 or below- you are cycled.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back