New tank setup timeline

ReefPup

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my first ever reef tank and I wanted to go over the process that I plan to follow in order to get it up and running to see if I'm doing anything wrong. I am using dry rock and live sand. I know that the timetable might be a bit different as things might move faster or slower. All of this will be paired with weekly 15% water changes.

Week 1: Dose tank with Fritz turbostart and algaebarn nitrocycle

Week 2: Provided my tank has cycled I plan to add 2 clowns to the tank with no lights on yet

Week 3: add small cuc

Week 5: Start lights in acclimation mode. Seed tank with copepods (feeding them phytoplankton). Seed tank with pink and purple coraline algae spores.

Week 9: Lights should be fully on at this point and hopefully I have some coraline algae growth and will add my first corals.

Future: add corals and fish slowly until tank in populated.

Let me know if there are any big errors in this time-line please. This is what my research has led to to believe might be the most successful.

Mr. Mojo Rising

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That all seems fine to me except the coraline, thats not something that can be rushed and it will start on its own when your tank is ready. In fact its a good sign to tell you the tank is maturing well.

But would love to hear about the equipment? Tank size, type, filtration, lighting, flow, what type of test kits...... lets hear about it, or better yet lets see pics! Good luck

Formulator

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to reefing!

A few comments/suggestions for you:

I am using dry rock
Why dry rock? Live rock will get you off to a much better start, though I understand cost is a factor.

Week 2: Provided my tank has cycled I plan to add 2 clowns to the tank with no lights on yet
Be prepared for cycling to last more than a week. Let your ammonia/nitrite/nitrate testing be your guide.

Week 9: Lights should be fully on at this point and hopefully I have some coraline algae growth and will add my first corals.
Coralline algae in 9 weeks with dry rock is a pipe dream LOL. The bottled stuff is not 100% and a lot of folks call it snake oil. Some people report success though, so worth a shot if you are set on it. Coralline will show up eventually regardless. It is not a necessity to wait for coralline to get corals. Just wait until your water parameters are stable for a few weeks and start slow.

OP
OP
R

ReefPup

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why dry rock? Live rock will get you off to a much better start, though I understand cost is a factor.

I am trying to limit the factors that could lead to pests due to being new to the hobbie and not knowing how to deal with them all. Also cost. Also I watched a video that said it might be easier for beginners because of the pest thing. Idk I'm just learning.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

ReefPup

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But would love to hear about the equipment? Tank size, type, filtration, lighting, flow, what type of test kits...... lets hear about it, or better yet lets see pics! Good luck

Tank: Fluval Flex 32.5 Sea
Lighting: 2 ai prime 16 hds
Flow: Sicce 1.5 return pump and nero 3 powerhead.
Testing: mix of hanna testers and red sea test kits

No pics yet cause it isn't set up. I tried posting a build thread yesterday but ir said it was waiting for approval cause I was a new account then it disappeared idk what happened.

OP
OP
R

ReefPup

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coralline algae in 9 weeks with dry rock is a pipe dream LOL. The bottled stuff is not 100% and a lot of folks call it snake oil. Some people report success though, so worth a shot if you are set on it. Coralline will show up eventually regardless. It is not a necessity to wait for coralline to get corals. Just wait until your water parameters are stable for a few weeks and start slow
I am just trying to get as much good stuff coating my rock taking up space and nutrients so I hopefully have a minimal ugly phase.

Formulator

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am trying to limit the factors that could lead to pests due to being new to the hobbie and not knowing how to deal with them all. Also cost.
I would strongly recommend reconsidering. The benefits of live rock far outweigh the small possibility of getting any pest, and most hitchhikers are beneficial. IMO the only legitimate reasons I’ve heard for dry rock are cost and for more complex rock scapes where you might want to build with engineered rock shapes.

OP
OP
R

ReefPup

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would strongly recommend reconsidering. The benefits of live rock far outweigh the small possibility of getting any pest, and most hitchhikers are beneficial. IMO the only legitimate reasons I’ve heard for dry rock are cost and for more complex rock scapes where you might want to build with engineered rock shapes.
I already bought my rock so too late now.

OP
OP
R

ReefPup

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fair enough! It will be fine in the end. Not trying to discourage you! Just be prepared for the uglies because they will happen
Oh yeah I figured they would I'm just trying to do all I can to minimize them by trying to populate my microfauna, and doing weekly 15% water changes.

OP
OP
R

ReefPup

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fair enough! It will be fine in the end. Not trying to discourage you! Just be prepared for the uglies because they will happen
Maybe I should purchase a piece or 2 of live rock like 5 lbs out of the 32 I'm putting in. Do you think that would be enough to help?

Formulator

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I get it just from my lfs or should I order from like a place that gets out from the ocean? Should I dip it or anything or just pray there are no pest hitchhikers?
I got all mine from my LFS and never had any issues. I don’t know much about the “brand name” stuff, but people preach about them on here a lot. I suppose you could dip, but you will miss out on any beneficial hitchhikers. Up to you and your own risk/reward tolerance. With a new tank, if you do spot something bad its easy enough to eradicate with no corals in there. A good LFS probably does their best to keep the rock pest-free as it is often plumbed into the same system they are keeping corals in.

OP
OP
R

ReefPup

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got all mine from my LFS and never had any issues. I don’t know much about the “brand name” stuff, but people preach about them on here a lot. I suppose you could dip, but you will miss out on any beneficial hitchhikers. Up to you and your own risk/reward tolerance. With a new tank, if you do spot something bad its easy enough to eradicate with no corals in there. A good LFS probably does their best to keep the rock pest-free as it is often plumbed into the same system they are keeping corals in.
Ok thank you! That's what ok do I'll just go grab 5 lbs from my lfs to Jumpstart me a bit. Will I still need to use the fritz turbo cycle and nitrocycle to cycle the tank? Cause 5 lbs is so little.

PopBot16

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're using Nitrocycle as your ammonia source, I'd suggest using half the amount recommended and test the next day to see where your ammonia is at. I added the rec amount once and it was like 8 ppm! Supposed to be 2-3 ppm. ICYDK, that makes the cycle take longer.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with all the advice given above. Even a few pieces of real live wet ocean rock will Jumpstart your biome and make the ugly phases more manageable. You will have ugly phases throughout the first year typically. Coralline algae will not start until maybe 6 months. Coralline is what out competes GHA in your ugly phase and once that process starts your tank begins an evolution to become more stable. I suggest no lights the first 3 or 4 months so your tank develops microfauna and biodiversity. Then add your first corals and turn lights on.

OP
OP
R

ReefPup

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with all the advice given above. Even a few pieces of real live wet ocean rock will Jumpstart your biome and make the ugly phases more manageable. You will have ugly phases throughout the first year typically. Coralline algae will not start until maybe 6 months. Coralline is what out competes GHA in your ugly phase and once that process starts your tank begins an evolution to become more stable. I suggest no lights the first 3 or 4 months so your tank develops microfauna and biodiversity. Then add your first corals and turn lights on.
Wow 3 to 4 months is way longer than I thought. What about my herbivorous cuc members?

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow 3 to 4 months is way longer than I thought. What about my herbivorous cuc members?
You can always drop algae wafers in the tank for them. If you add in some live ocean rock then the process is greatly expedited because you are turbo charging your biome and will have a much more manageable ugly phase the first year.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back