+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Everyone,

Just joined the page! I have had freshwater tanks for years now and have just been given the opportunity to receive a 120 gal Reef tank. I have done a lot of research over the years as I always wanted a saltwater set up. I am getting this tank for nothing, everything included, I understand the costs to run and the time needed to keep it going. My question is the movement of the tank! What is the best way to move this thing (fish, corals, livestock etc) with the least amount of stress on everything. What can I expect as far as losses if any to the corals and fish??? Any help would be much appriciated!! Thank you all!! Picture of tank I'm getting is attached.

34557.jpeg

Peace River

Thrive Master
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!! We’re glad you’re here!

CLICK TO VIEW

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on how far you have to move it, but you will need lots of containers and the faster you can do it the better.

Do you have an LFS maybe who could hold the stock while you move the tank as that might help and make it less stressful

I’m sure you'll get some more answers and Welcome to R2R!!!

OP
OP
B

Bigrt5621

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on how far you have to move it, but you will need lots of containers and the faster you can do it the better.

Do you have an LFS maybe who could hold the stock while you move the tank as that might help and make it less stressful

I’m sure you'll get some more answers and Welcome to R2R!!!
I have a LFS that would probably do that for me, it's not too far, 20 minutes from my house roughly. What I'm worried about is the temperature here in NY this time of year is not going to help things at all. :-O My buddy has an enclosed trailer to help me with this move so that should help.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
Top Shelf Aquatics

Kellie in CA

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have moved my tank several times. I usually split everything up into several buckets to transport, then place it all in one huge tub at the new location with a heater and powerhead until the tank is ready to go.

Be sure to toss all that sand and start with new.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a LFS that would probably do that for me, it's not too far, 20 minutes from my house roughly. What I'm worried about is the temperature here in NY this time of year is not going to help things at all. :-O My buddy has an enclosed trailer to help me with this move so that should help.
Just try and keep everything as warm as possible while you move it, and if the temperature drops bring it back up slowly and re acclimatise everything.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!! Never had to move a tank, so no help on that.

Last edited:
World Wide Corals

ScottB

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is quite the bargain!

I would go by and talk to your LFS owner about getting some experienced help on this. Not just muscle, but some experience. There is a certain order of operation to safely moving an established system of this size to limit losses.

Welcome to R2R!

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!! Have water prepared at home before pickup. Don't reuse the sand that is in the tank. How far is the location to pickup to your home? Buy new sand and rinse it in a new bucket before you travel to get the tank.

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar
OP
OP
B

Bigrt5621

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!! Have water prepared at home before pickup. Don't reuse the sand that is in the tank. How far is the location to pickup to your home? Buy new sand and rinse it in a new bucket before you travel to get the tank.
About 20 min to a half hour

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Cultivated Reef
Back