OP
A

Allenh427

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This looks like Brown Jelly Disease to me. (the translucent brown along the edge of the surviving part of the frag). BJD killed my 1-year-old 6-inch diameter green monti plate completely in 2 days. When it starts, it seems impossible to stop. However, I was lucky, the BJD did not move to a different coral afterwards. No idea where it came from originally.

Incorrect lighting, food, etc should not kill a monti frag in two days. Hope it survives.
It looked exactly like BJD - that has to be what it was. I have chemiclean on standby - I'll keep a close eye on all of my other corals.

Shawnd08

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may very well be bad bacteria. I had an issue recently in my tank where I would add an SPS frag and within a couple of hours the skin would start falling off. SPS that had been in the tank seemed to be fine. I started running my UV again and the issues has resolved.

OP
OP
A

Allenh427

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may very well be bad bacteria. I had an issue recently in my tank where I would add an SPS frag and within a couple of hours the skin would start falling off. SPS that had been in the tank seemed to be fine. I started running my UV again and the issues has resolved.
I have a UV running, I could always lower the flow rate- I'll let it remain where it's at for now.

I think what you are describing is probably my same situation - when corals move an their immune system is weakend, they are way more susceptible.

timmyrules

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh my gosh! I just now saw this thread :grinning-face-with-sweat:
I had this exact same thing happen to one of my chalices!!!! And I have been running a uv filter ever since the tank was setup….i think I did find the issue with mine tho. When I bought it a a lfs, there was 3 plates that were stuck together. And she ripped them apart, and over the course of 72 hours it was completely deteriorated….

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back