+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
I am new here. I am trying to get started with a fresh water tank but only looking to do real plants. I will be getting a 20 or 25 gallon tank. Any help would be appreciated. I am going to have a beta & shrimp I do know that. Need help with also tank mate ideas. Any help anyone could give for filters, equipment & other fish would be greatly appreciated. I have had fish tank before but just with the basic sets where it came with everything. New to building my tank.

Welcome! I'm Lisa. Glad you joined. My roots years ago were in freshwater, and my daughter is taking us back to freshwater right now because like you, she also wants a betta. Her tank is the all-in-one eShopps Deskmate, and with those small slot area to back chamber, I've explained how a single freshwater plant leaf falling off and sealing that overflow will cause catastrophic water overflow out of tank... so she will be going with fake plants (we're going shopping 2 LFSs after my work/her school this Monday night). There are lots of posts out on the internet about betta needs.

For her, a traditional rectangular tank with either hang on back filter (Fluval makes nice ones) or canister filter (again Fluval but also other good choices) would have been my preferred aquarium type for her had we imagined she would want to start with freshwater fish and live plants over saltwater... Your 20 gallon will be nice size for your betta and even some neon tetra friends (though betta does NOT need other fish...) others may nip (even guppy) so betta alone is fine. Like your shrimp desire, I'm hoping she will want to add some of those cute tiny freshwater shrimp (red? blue?) but I'm trying really hard not to direct her tank but let her make her own choices. That is some of the FUN! Hope you are having fun deciding, too!

Have you considered starting your build thread? I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread under Forum > Member Aquariums and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID)

This might help you find people local to you:

This is a good saltwater reference book type online article I still review:

Last edited:
Top Shelf Aquatics

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!!
Welcome.gif

Top Shelf Aquatics
Top Shelf Aquatics

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Tropic Marin USA
Back