Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If that is the size of your maroon, that is why it is so good. It is a baby. :)

Good luck on whatever fish you decide to go with. Personally, I would skip the clown and go with many other smaller fish that can live entire lives in 16g.

CLICK TO VIEW
OP
OP
SaltyShel

SaltyShel

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Occelaris are a more peaceful species yes, however they can still become aggressive.

This is what I’d personally do. I would skip the clowns and go for a peaceful setting. There’s actually many fish that will like being in trios or fives (Eviota and Truman gobies are a great example) if you wanted that grouping behaviour.
Do y’all think an ocelaris and maroon would get along? I kind of want to see if I could breed them but that’s probably not a good idea since I don’t have any idea how to breed a fish lol. I already have the maroon, it’s been alone in this tank (besides CUC) for probably close to a year. So that’s why I’m really stuck, because I set up this new 16g tank and I also don’t know how to quarantine it since I’m trying to break down the 14g the maroon is currently in (the 14g has a lot of issues, aiptasia, just a bunch of pests that I don’t want transferred to my 16g). So I guess more than anything, I just don’t know what I’m doing. Lol

OP
OP
SaltyShel

SaltyShel

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If that is the size of your maroon, that is why it is so good. It is a baby. :)

Good luck on whatever fish you decide to go with. Personally, I would skip the clown and go with many other smaller fish that can live entire lives in 16g.
I had no idea that clowns just change gender like that lol that’s super cool!!

omg that makes so much sense because it is very very calm and just swims around and is super nice to me hahah I thought I got lucky but it makes more sense it’s due to the age of it lol. So if it’s a baby, would it likely be male? And If I put a non-clown in there, will it stay nice because it’s a baby and once matured, it’ll be used to the other fish? Is that a reasonable assumption? Lol

and thank you, im gonna have to do some research lol

Nutramar Foods

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

omg that makes so much sense because it is very very calm and just swims around and is super nice to me hahah I thought I got lucky but it makes more sense it’s due to the age of it lol. So if it’s a baby, would it likely be male? And If I put a non-clown in there, will it stay nice because it’s a baby and once matured, it’ll be used to the other fish? Is that a reasonable assumption? Lol

My percula x occelaris “Black Photon” was a model citizen for two years… then it hit me and resulted in a dropped rock (No fish was harmed - If I remember correctly I accidentally dropped it and the chilli that was under it hit the sand). Here’s the beggar, now when I have to have my hands in the tank I will threaten her with the bucket. That’s a joy for the family to watch me making a fool of myself in a battle against a fish.
image.jpg

OP
OP
SaltyShel

SaltyShel

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My percula x occelaris “Black Photon” was a model citizen for two years… then it hit me and resulted in a dropped rock (No fish was harmed - If I remember correctly I accidentally dropped it and the chilli that was under it hit the sand). Here’s the beggar, now when I have to have my hands in the tank I will threaten her with the bucket. That’s a joy for the family to watch me making a fool of myself in a battle against a fish.
View attachment 2641099
Omg that’s insane!! I can’t even imagine that because of how docile mine is but It makes sense and I really hope mine stays calm but from hearing all the horror stories I don’t know that I will be so lucky lol. Maybe I should invest in some gloves?

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do y’all think an ocelaris and maroon would get along? I kind of want to see if I could breed them but that’s probably not a good idea since I don’t have any idea how to breed a fish lol. I already have the maroon, it’s been alone in this tank (besides CUC) for probably close to a year. So that’s why I’m really stuck, because I set up this new 16g tank and I also don’t know how to quarantine it since I’m trying to break down the 14g the maroon is currently in (the 14g has a lot of issues, aiptasia, just a bunch of pests that I don’t want transferred to my 16g). So I guess more than anything, I just don’t know what I’m doing. Lol

It can sometimes work as there are real pairs out there but more likely the maroon will kill the occy when it becomes mature. Females maroons can be brutal even to male maroons and sometimes to your hands… they can draw blood easily.

Breeding clowns requires separate tanks and culturing foods and a lot of work and generally my clowns took years before they started laying anyways when I purchased as a baby.

Nutramar Foods

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a fun video… it is a clownfish defending its territory and biting a shark

Thats a beautiful A. bincictus (I think at least). I'd love to own a clown that isn't one of the common species (Percula, Occelaris, Maroon, Skunks ect...) but I don't think my hand wouldn't enjoy it as those species also seem to be more aggressive.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
SaltyShel

SaltyShel

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It can sometimes work as there are real pairs out there but more likely the maroon will kill the occy when it becomes mature. Females maroons can be brutal even to male maroons and sometimes to your hands… they can draw blood easily.

Breeding clowns requires separate tanks and culturing foods and a lot of work and generally my clowns took years before they started laying anyways when I purchased as a baby.
Wow that’s just crazy and I can not believe something as small and cute as a clownfish will draw blood!! I had no idea. Like I knew maroons and tomato clowns are more aggressive but I just thought I got lucky, but now that I know all this I really need to be cautious regarding my next fish.

also about the breeding, I’m not sure why I thought it was an easier process lol. There’s a LFS near me that I love and he breeds clownfish. He showed me the set up before and it’s pretty crazy, he’s constantly having to feed them and there’s a bunch of big buckets that he keeps them in and the water stays really green. So I’m assuming there’s a lot involved lol

OP
OP
SaltyShel

SaltyShel

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a fun video… it is a clownfish defending its territory and biting a shark

I’ll definitely watch it!! Lol I love how unique fish are. They are so interesting and I wish I knew more but that’s what the internet is for! :face-with-tears-of-joy:

edit: @Tamberav i watched the video and I was like “where’s the clownfish” hahaha I guess I was expecting to see Nemo :face-with-tears-of-joy: I had to watch it twice lol but that’s super crazy!! I suppose they just aren’t afraid of anything lol

Last edited:
OP
OP
SaltyShel

SaltyShel

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats a beautiful A. bincictus (I think at least). I'd love to own a clown that isn't one of the common species (Percula, Occelaris, Maroon, Skunks ect...) but I don't think my hand wouldn't enjoy it as those species also seem to be more aggressive.
I personally love my clown, even though he is among the most aggressive. I will have to get back with you on how much I love him once he’s grown and no longer a friendly baby fish lol. Hopefully he stays friendly but we will see!

i am taking this as a good opportunity though, because I’ve read how it’s best to add most aggressive fish last. So by setting up this 16g with a new fish, I think it’ll be good because my maroon will not be “first” in this tank, as he would be if I added anything to the 14g where he’s currently at.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally love my clown, even though he is among the most aggressive. I will have to get back with you on how much I love him once he’s grown and no longer a friendly baby fish lol. Hopefully he stays friendly but we will see!

i am taking this as a good opportunity though, because I’ve read how it’s best to add most aggressive fish last. So by setting up this 16g with a new fish, I think it’ll be good because my maroon will not be “first” in this tank, as he would be if I added anything to the 14g where he’s currently at.
There is one genus I can think of that could be just as aggressive as a maroon but I’m wondering if the potential of a bloodbath is risen.
Anyone into their wrasses will most likely know what I mean as this genus are known for their aggression and chances of turning on other wrasses.

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a way I can tell if it’s a male or female? Like how do I know? Mine is really calm but it’s also by itself, except for the urchin I used to have and then a hermit crab and some snails. But that’s all I have in there. I made a NSA so there’s more space in the tank and hiding spots but I’m just not sure if I have a male or female and I want to know now
If it’s young, it’s probably neither. Clowns are protandrous hermaphrodites. They are born as a-sexual, neither male nor female but capable of becoming either or both in succession. A lone clownfish usually becomes female as it matures as there is no competition for the dominant role.

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It’s probably a juvenile and neither male nor female. When there are groups of clowns there is only ever 1 female and 1 male. The rest are sexually immature regardless of their age (neither male nor female). A dominant male can become female, but once female it will remain female.

AquaCave Logo Banner
Nutramar

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Legendary
Back