Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So a couple days ago I dripped, dipped, and acclimated a finger leather, and devil's hand, to my QT tank. I also have other coral and a tank, they are all doing well, stable water parameters. The devil's hand is doing well and opened up fully and the leather has been somewhat open and with long periods of being slumped over like in the photos. Right now it is in an area with low / medium light, and low / medium flow.

Should I try moving it again? Anything I should be concerned about? Does it look okay?

PXL_20230307_125243935.jpg PXL_20230307_125252965.jpg

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

danieyella

unfriendly local swamp witch
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two toadstools that are new additions and took over a week to relax. With that said, my leathers almost always seem to prefer medium flow over low. They tend to do fine in all varieties of light for me - so long as they're getting some.

OP
OP
helwrj28

helwrj28

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two toadstools that are new additions and took over a week to relax. With that said, my leathers almost always seem to prefer medium flow over low. They tend to do fine in all varieties of light for me - so long as they're getting some.
Appreciate the response, this is all new to me so want to intervene as quickly as possible if necessary. I'll let it be for now and let it acclimate, and maybe adjust the power head so it gets a bit more flow, thanks!

Nutramar Foods

mfinn

likes zoanthids
Review score
+8 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+8 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just watch for rotting flesh.
Shouldn't happen, but if that happens then decisions will have to be made.
Most of my leathers slump over at one point

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
helwrj28

helwrj28

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just watch for rotting flesh.
Shouldn't happen, but if that happens then decisions will have to be made.
Most of my leathers slump over at one point
If the flesh starts rotting will I first notice it on the branches or on the base? And what should it look like?

mfinn

likes zoanthids
Review score
+8 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+8 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the flesh starts rotting will I first notice it on the branches or on the base? And what should it look like?
I wouldn't worry about it. Just because the leather is slumped over, there is really nothing wrong with it.
As long as the tank it's in has a proper biological filter, heat, flow, etc. it should be fine.

kevgib67

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a medium size sinularia that slumps over when lights out. When lights are on takes a couple of hours before it is erect and reaching for light. I think yours is fine, leathers are pretty hardy. Give it time to settle in.

OP
OP
helwrj28

helwrj28

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a medium size sinularia that slumps over when lights out. When lights are on takes a couple of hours before it is erect and reaching for light. I think yours is fine, leathers are pretty hardy. Give it time to settle in.
Thanks for the input, I'll see how it looks with lights on when I'm home

OP
OP
helwrj28

helwrj28

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So as of last Thursday my finger leather has been slumped over again (at all hours from what I can tell), and my devil's hand is slumped over and closed as well. I can tell the devil's hand is noticably shedding and I imagine the finger leather is doing the same. I moved them to the other side of the tank so they are closer to the powerhead, I have it positioned onto them and they're about 12 inches from it.. does this constitute as high flow or is it too much? Anything else that should be considered? Should I be concerned that the finger leather has been slumped over for about a week now?

Nutramar Foods

mfinn

likes zoanthids
Review score
+8 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+8 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So as of last Thursday my finger leather has been slumped over again (at all hours from what I can tell), and my devil's hand is slumped over and closed as well. I can tell the devil's hand is noticably shedding and I imagine the finger leather is doing the same. I moved them to the other side of the tank so they are closer to the powerhead, I have it positioned onto them and they're about 12 inches from it.. does this constitute as high flow or is it too much? Anything else that should be considered? Should I be concerned that the finger leather has been slumped over for about a week now?
They can do that. Look good for a while then not so good.
They like a little flow, but not a narrow stream aimed at them.

OP
OP
helwrj28

helwrj28

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can see the skin visibly peeling now. It still feels firm but again for the most part it has been slumped over. I moved in the lower right portion of the tank with the powerhead above so it can get a little flow.. anything else that would be recommended? All other parameters have been stable.

Akreefnewguy

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Appreciate the response, this is all new to me so want to intervene as quickly as possible if necessary. I'll let it be for now and let it acclimate, and maybe adjust the power head so it gets a bit more flow, thanks!
My kenya did similar for about 5 days. Moving any corals will upset them for a few hours to days. Unless it melts or bleaches don't move it to much and don't expect to move it and see it happy in a few hours.

Attachments

• 20230314_174918.jpg
    20230314_174918.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 13
  • 20230317_101756.jpg
    20230317_101756.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 11

LordofCinder

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can see the skin visibly peeling now. It still feels firm but again for the most part it has been slumped over. I moved in the lower right portion of the tank with the powerhead above so it can get a little flow.. anything else that would be recommended? All other parameters have been stable.
It really does sound like a flow issue. You don't mention what kind of flow you have, but I get the impression there is only one powerhead, which is very hard to get a random chaotic flow in the tank.

Leathers like flow, but should not be a constant one-direction flow, it should be random flows from all directions.

OP
OP
helwrj28

helwrj28

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the help guys. Yeah I definitely see how it could be a flow issue and I know I have moved it around several times to try to achieve flow (and likely stressing it even more), but all I have running right now is one powerhead-- so it's either getting blasted or it's not enough flow..

Would you suggest using an air pump? I have but haven't been using with my coral, used it when I was QT fish.. but I guess that could help with more water movement right?

Also I want to add that when the coral do go in my DT I have 2 cycling powerheads, random flow nozzles on my return pump, and a separate return for my UV.. so I imagine flow (and more importantly random flow) should be much more easily achieved.

AquaCave Logo Banner

exnisstech

2500 Club Member
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Set it and forget it is advise I received from an experienced store owner who also sets up and maintains some high end accounts. While I don't agree 100 % I do try to leave new additions for a week or two at least before intervening. Leathers seem to be especially sensitive to being moved, at least mine are.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Innovative Marine - Made to Order
Back