Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We got 2 new clowns yesterday, we currently have a larger clown in the tank who is double the size and has killed an individual smaller clown we introduced a while ago. We were told to try introducing 2 new clowns at a time and much smaller ones who we were told are males. We have separated the fish and one of the smaller clowns is swimming around quite funny and erratically. He seems to be obsessed with the box. Could this actually be a female and be troublesome when we release our larger female? They have been in the tank for not even 24 hours. Only 1 is acting like this the other clown is swimming around normally and peacefully

Stephen8169301

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
We got 2 new clowns yesterday, we currently have a larger clown in the tank who is double the size and has killed an individual smaller clown we introduced a while ago. We were told to try introducing 2 new clowns at a time and much smaller ones who we were told are males. We have separated the fish and one of the smaller clowns is swimming around quite funny and erratically. He seems to be obsessed with the box. Could this actually be a female and be troublesome when we release our larger female? They have been in the tank for not even 24 hours. Only 1 is acting like this the other clown is swimming around normally and peacefully
Please try and post a video how long has the tank been running ?

Avast
OP
OP
sam9823

sam9823

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please try and post a video how long has the tank been running ?
Having troubles with the video trying to upload it now. Tank has been running for over a year, my dad gave it to me 2 months ago so unsure exactly how old but the clown in the tank has been in there for a while by herself. Tank is about an 80L and unsure 100% of what type of clown but images attached - dad can't remember what type she is.

Attachments

• clown1.jpg
    clown1.jpg
    222.7 KB · Views: 19
  • clown2.jpg
    clown2.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 18
  • clown3.jpg
    clown3.jpg
    215.6 KB · Views: 20
BRS

Stephen8169301

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Having troubles with the video trying to upload it now. Tank has been running for over a year, my dad gave it to me 2 months ago so unsure exactly how old but the clown in the tank has been in there for a while by herself. Tank is about an 80L and unsure 100% of what type of clown but images attached - dad can't remember what type she is.
Okay pics are perfect

Nutramar Foods
World Wide Corals
OP
OP
sam9823

sam9823

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The one in the box is the current one that’s been in the tank the longest?
Yes that’s spot on. I was told isolating her in a box may help with the whole territory thing. I’m super new to all of this so basing this information only on what I have been told from where I got the 2 little clowns from!

MischiefReef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, but you will likely only be able to keep a maximum of two clowns in that size of tank. And at this point it may be very difficult to safely introduce another, clownfish are extremely territorial and if your big clown has had that space all to herself for over a year, it will be tough to safely introduce another one without doing a few precautionary steps.
If you do decide to introduce a second one make sure you use an in-tank acclimation box for the first few weeks.
Also may help to tape a few mirrors to your tank so your fish can see their own reflection, this can dispel aggression.
Lastly if possible do a change to your rockscape so the current clown doesn’t see everything as hers.

Last edited:

MischiefReef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A further question to make sure I’m understanding correctly. The new clowns are in the tank and the original clown is now in an isolation container?

If this is the case, the weird swimming behavior you see is a submission dance. The smaller clownfish does this to let the bigger one know that he recognizes her dominance. The bigger clownfish will turn female shortly after this is settled. It is not the clown that’s swimming funny that you need to be concerned with, it is the one that is not swimming funny. She will become the female, and when you reintroduce your current female, the new female will be killed.

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
sam9823

sam9823

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, but you will likely only be able to keep a maximum of two clowns in that size of tank. And at this point it may be very difficult to safely introduce another, clownfish are extremely territorial and if your big clown has had that space all to herself for over a year, it will be tough to safely introduce another one without doing a few precautionary steps.
If you do decide to introduce a second one make sure you use an in-tank acclimation box for the first few weeks.
Also may help to tape a few mirrors to your tank so your fish can see their own reflection.
Lastly if possible do a change to your rockscape so the current clown doesn’t see everything as hers.
Ok awesome that’s really helpful thankyou for that. We were quite worried after our first experience introducing an individual clown that she will not accept a new one. As I mentioned above, the lady we purchased the clowns from suggested trying 2 at a time but the tank is quite small. We do have the 2 new ones already in the tank and put the female in the box although we can swap them around if needed so the 2 smaller ones are in the box instead. May try giving it some time for a few weeks to try get them use to each other and if it is not working out and there is too much aggression we will look into rehoming the 2 new clowns

AS
OP
OP
sam9823

sam9823

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i noticed a few fish in the tank what Type of fish is in the a diamond goby a type of tang? And now two baby clowns and your current clown?
Yes correct. The diamond goby will be going back to my dads larger tank in the next few days, he originally had it in the tank when he gave it to us although we understand the tank is too small for the fish in it and the goby is way too big for the size we have

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
AF
Back