Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had four female lyretail anthias for about 2months. They never really swam in a group, but there was no fighting. I had a power outage, one anthia died. This was about two weeks ago.
Today, I bought another female anthia. I lost track which one was the new anthia but now there is one that does not stop fighting! It actually seems to have paired with the one smaller than it, but has bullied one so bad that I had to separate the beaten up one. And now it’s beating up another one to the point where that one is hiding and is stressed out!
I know they fight but do they do so until death? Should I let them all be (release the captured one?) The bully is too hard to catch

C8BD357D-33E8-4C66-8994-F30D82FD1C6A.jpeg

AquaCave Logo Banner

Lbrdsoxfan

2500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Until the death or they jump one out of the tank it seems.
Or the pecking order is sorted out... (best case of course).

I got lucky with adding two more females to my existing brood that had 2 females and a male dispar. There was some squabbling (occasional jaw locking) for a few days and its settled down.

IME you do best to get them all @ once and let them sort it out and the alpha will transition to a male.

TinyReefObsession

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think I should let them all be free? Should I get rid of all of them and then buy a whole new group again?
I don’t know if they’re anything like clowns - so forgive my ignorance here, but I assume the same applies since nobody wants their tanks inhabitants stressed or worse… I’ve read you separate the aggressor into the little medical box so it’s still in the same area, gets used to being around the others (desensitization), but can’t hurt them. Then after a time out, try again. Separate. Try again. Eventually they get it. I guess my clowns took months before the female stopped beating on the new little guy. Now they’re thick as thieves! :)

Avast
Nutramar

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Back