Neptunes Trident calibration -

Addicted2Reef’n

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am having issues trusting the numbers I am getting from my trident. I tried first calibrating with the old calibration fluid that was given to me and then recalibrated using fresh saltwater mix. I plan on recalibrating today using tank water that is tested w Hannah / Salifert and averaged out.
Has anyone else reached a point where they use the trident as a tool to look for consistency in their parameters rather than looking for the actual accuracy?
I am able to see and gauge my dosing inputs based on the difference in numbers I see on the trident over course of a couple days. So that is very useful, my concern is more with whether I’m at a reasonable level of Mg and Ca
Last time I manually checked my Mg - the trident said it was 1400 and it was actually 1100 per Hannah and salifert.
I believe I am going to get some set points of difference between the trident and new calibrated fluid and just keep in my head the difference to add or subtract from Mg or Ca and use the trident to watch trends and swings. As long as I know I’m in an ok level to start with I’m ok with this. Just wish it was more accurate out of the box.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone else reached a point where they use the trident as a tool to look for consistency in their parameters rather than looking for the actual accuracy?

Those that care to reply will give you a difference of experience. In short two hobbyist using the same piece of equipment with a different user experience. I use the supplied calibration solution with Neptune's reagents and it works great for me.

I believe I am going to get some set points of difference between the trident and new calibrated fluid and just keep in my head the difference to add or subtract from Mg or Ca and use the trident to watch trends and swings. As long as I know I’m in an ok level to start with I’m ok with this. Just wish it was more accurate out of the box.

That sounds exhausting with all of the mental math.

braaap

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
My trident is very accurate. Use the tank water method and yours will be too.

My trident np got returned if that says anything.

OP
OP
A

Addicted2Reef’n

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately I can’t buy Neptunes calibration fluid online so using tank water I have tested is the next option. I am glad to hear your trident has been accurate. That gives me some hope I can get mine straightened out.

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like most tests in this realm. the Trident is not very repeatable. I'd put its repeatability at a +/- 0.5 dKh over a long run, with differing reagents, sample tubes or discharge tubes clogging, etc.

Its more than enough to guardband my Kalk and Ca reactor setups from getting too low or high.

Note that I don't even look at the Ca and Mg numbers - those drift out over time and are effectively useless. I should just switch to ABC reagents and buy only A, and not even run the B/C schedule.

I actually stopped running calibration entirely. Tank method is fine, but I'm at the state where each new reagent bottle is within the repeatability measurement long term and its enough to know I'm not "out of range".

braaap

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Unfortunately I can’t buy Neptunes calibration fluid online so using tank water I have tested is the next option. I am glad to hear your trident has been accurate. That gives me some hope I can get mine straightened out.

That isn't unfortunate. I just tossed out a bunch of them that I got and tested. They were all WAY off the label.

Test your water 3 times for each value. Average those. Use that to calibrate.

Like most tests in this realm. the Trident is not very repeatable. I'd put its repeatability at a +/- 0.5 dKh over a long run, with differing reagents, sample tubes or discharge tubes clogging, etc.

Its more than enough to guardband my Kalk and Ca reactor setups from getting too low or high.

Note that I don't even look at the Ca and Mg numbers - those drift out over time and are effectively useless. I should just switch to ABC reagents and buy only A, and not even run the B/C schedule.

I actually stopped running calibration entirely. Tank method is fine, but I'm at the state where each new reagent bottle is within the repeatability measurement long term and its enough to know I'm not "out of range".

Honestly I have never had an issue that wasn't user error with my Trident. No sample because I snagged the pickup line. Or no test because the waste container was full and I forgot to reset it.

My trident is VERY accurate. +/- 0.05 to my hannas. I use ABC reagents. I haven't seen it drifting and I manually test all of my levels once a month. ALWAYS on that .05. Been running just short of a year now. I did notice that ABC is far more consistent than my Neptune reagents were.

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That isn't unfortunate. I just tossed out a bunch of them that I got and tested. They were all WAY off the label.

Test your water 3 times for each value. Average those. Use that to calibrate.

Honestly I have never had an issue that wasn't user error with my Trident. No sample because I snagged the pickup line. Or no test because the waste container was full and I forgot to reset it.

My trident is VERY accurate. +/- 0.05 to my hannas. I use ABC reagents. I haven't seen it drifting and I manually test all of my levels once a month. ALWAYS on that .05. Been running just short of a year now. I did notice that ABC is far more consistent than my Neptune reagents were.

I'm ready to switch to ABC myself based on this. I have a +/- 0.3 dKh swing from reagent bottle to reagent bottle on my current batch of Trident reagents. Sometimes it's spot on from a Hannah and sometimes off. This doesn't bother me as I'm more worried about trends (not enough or too much all going in)

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back