Best test for calibrating trident via tank water

lonelybones

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey! I was wondering what test people are using to calibrate their trident via tank water? I personally use Hanna for alk, and salifert for mg and ca. Will those be sufficient or should I get Hanna for mg and ca also? I’m kicking myself because I had those two Hannah checkers (mg, ca) and got rid of them due to conflicting reviews.

Formulator

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use salifert for everything. In the end it doesn’t really matter. You just need to tell the machine what your test result says, so you are on the same page. If you trusted salifert before trident, no reason not to calibrate with it. Then your machine can relay the same results you would expect to get with salifert and there will be connectivity between your manual testing and the trident results for troubleshooting any issues in the future.

OP
OP
L

lonelybones

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use salifert for everything. In the end it doesn’t really matter. You just need to tell the machine what your test result says, so you are on the same page. If you trusted salifert before trident, no reason not to calibrate with it. Then your machine can relay the same results you would expect to get with salifert and there will be connectivity between your manual testing and the trident results for troubleshooting any issues in the future.
I appreciate the reply. You are exactly right if I trusted one, why shouldn’t I trust it now? I over think a lot and was just seeing if anyone had other test that they preferred for this purpose.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey! I was wondering what test people are using to calibrate their trident via tank water?

The title is asking for the best and in my opinion there isn't one. There are two ways of performing the task.

The documented, and recommended way, by the manufacture is to use the included calibration solution. Some swear by it, and others are frustrated with it.

The second way is to use an over the counter manual test kit of hobbyist choice, manual test, note down the results, run the Trident calibration task and use the manual test results.

OP
OP
L

lonelybones

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The title is asking for the best and in my opinion there isn't one. There are two ways of performing the task.

The documented, and recommended way, by the manufacture is to use the included calibration solution. Some swear by it, and others are frustrated with it.

The second way is to use an over the counter manual test kit of hobbyist choice, manual test, note down the results, run the Trident calibration task and use the manual test results.
I just tested everything again and the only thing that seems off is alk… Hanna tested 10.7, 10.8 and trident was reading 10.47… MG, CA(via salifert)seem to be right on. i’m switching to ABC reagents after this two month pack is up. I might as well start tank calibrating and not trusting the solution now.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just tested everything again and the only thing that seems off is alk… Hanna tested 10.7, 10.8 and trident was reading 10.47… MG, CA(via salifert)seem to be right on. i’m switching to ABC reagents after this two month pack is up. I might as well start tank calibrating and not trusting the solution now.

I am not sure what the trust issue is. Are you expecting the Trident and manual test results to match or are you questioning the calibration solution by Neptune? What leads you to believe there is something untrustworthy and what data do you have out of curiosity?

There was a interesting thread on another platform last year and somewhere in the thread I replied that I thought the supplied calibration bottle was amazing. A fellow hobbyist rightly called me out to define my choice of wording which I thought was fair. I should have said in my opinion or in my experience and then provide why. In this case it was me running a couple tests using both Neptune's calibration solution and Fauna Marin's multi reference with the reagent bottles under 30% remaining.

This assumes of course that A Fauna Marin's reference solution is valid and B Neptunes calibration solution is valid. In both cases I am trusting them at their word and label. Results below. For a hobby grade test kit and knowing how Jim has done a few spot checks on Neptune's calibration solution, I figured it was good for me.

As far as non OEM reagents go I am of no opinion as I've not used them. Hope your day is well.

1725554265109.png

1725554276193.png

1725554296247.png

Formulator

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure what the trust issue is. Are you expecting the Trident and manual test results to match or are you questioning the calibration solution by Neptune? What leads you to believe there is something untrustworthy and what data do you have out of curiosity?

There was a interesting thread on another platform last year and somewhere in the thread I replied that I thought the supplied calibration bottle was amazing. A fellow hobbyist rightly called me out to define my choice of wording which I thought was fair. I should have said in my opinion or in my experience and then provide why. In this case it was me running a couple tests using both Neptune's calibration solution and Fauna Marin's multi reference with the reagent bottles under 30% remaining.

This assumes of course that A Fauna Marin's reference solution is valid and B Neptunes calibration solution is valid. In both cases I am trusting them at their word and label. Results below. For a hobby grade test kit and knowing how Jim has done a few spot checks on Neptune's calibration solution, I figured it was good for me.

As far as non OEM reagents go I am of no opinion as I've not used them. Hope your day is well.

1725554265109.png

1725554276193.png

1725554296247.png
For me the benefit of using my test kits and tank water to calibrate is that I can always expect trident results to match a manual test. So what if my manual test is not exactly accurate. I wanted a seamless transition to trident and stability is more important to me than whether my tank is truly running at 9.8 dkh instead of 9.5 dkh. My trident and my test kits both read 9.5, and I keep it stable. If I used the trident calibration solution, maybe it tells me my tank is at 9.8 dkh. Ok, then what? Do I reduce alkalinity to get back to 9.5 which would then show up as 9.2 on my manual kit? Keep it at 9.8 on the trident and try to remember that my manual test is going to read 0.3 dkh low? Or, calibrate with tank water and know that my manual test results should always match the trident results? To me the answer was obvious…

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back