Neptune APEX Reliability (Shocking in my experience!)

Neptune

MnFish1

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do. Made a concerted effort a few years ago to avoid apex as single point of failure. Main pump is the only problem as there are good reasons for me to connect it through apex. Even though I have no automated backup, failure wouldn’t be immediately problematic. I have backup heat that runs off an independent ranco and a second ATO that runs off independent dual redundant floats. Half my vortech pumps run off apex, the other off ReefLink. Same with the lights. Mighty inconvenient if apex failed, but not likely lethal. I also have a standby genny on the house and an on call local reefer (I am also for him). If my tank were to fail it’d be self negligence/stupidity or major structural failure.
Yep - I bought the 7000$ generator as well:). I mainly use my apex (now) as a surgesupressor - and something I can use to turn things off and on with a power failure

Nutramar Foods

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Personally all of the horror stories complaints have made me terrified of any controller. I do everything manually and it takes me 20 min. Plus I keep a daily log and I don’t have many issues. (Except when I had to move that’s a nightmare).

These controllers are not reliable and never will be. We have really expensive dosing equipment in the er and they fail all the time. People who ar suppose to get medication for severe conditions don’t. I would rather have a nurse or a dr give me my meds every time they are do; than trust them, and they are 10,000 plus/ m

I can’t say what people should spend money on, and I can’t say people have not been successful. But they do have lots and lots of complaints. Plus for people like me, where I live now there is a waiting list to her normal house internet. These systems like radions and Apex rely on the internet which crash’s daily.

I’d love to beta test one and really put it to the test on an empty tank (no fish etc), and see how it does. I just looked at their dream package and it’s close to 2,000, I’d rather by coral and fish for my tank or put it in savings.
But to each their own.

vangvace

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep - I bought the 7000$ generator as well:). I mainly use my apex (now) as a surgesupressor - and something I can use to turn things off and on with a power failure
Ironically, the EBs aren't surge protectors per Neptune.

Top Shelf Aquatics
U

User1

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
These systems like radions and Apex rely on the internet which crash’s daily.

With regards to products relying on the internet no, they don't. You use the portal to view data. I can't speak for all devices but with regards to the Apex and even the Reef Angel. Portal is to view data or make some changes. In the case of internet outage you can hit the local address and do whatever you need to do.

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With regards to products relying on the internet no, they don't. You use the portal to view data. I can't speak for all devices but with regards to the Apex and even the Reef Angel. Portal is to view data or make some changes. In the case of internet outage you can hit the local address and do whatever you need to do.

Hello ,

I definitely don’t claim to know internet smart phones etc well. The reason I said that was it was directly said to me from an Ecotech rep. I thought about using the lights when I spoke to him, (I explained I don’t have internet at my subdivision yet, too new (Yes I moved just two weeks ago but a mile away so same subdivision), but cable one and century link are the only internet providers. So I’m on a waiting list. But they said I would absolutely need internet in order to run their lights. The same thing was said when I called brs and asked if Neptune needed it they said yes. So if one can’t access the internet and these item require it how does one make them work? I may be missing something here since I have never worked one etc. if internet goes down then the systems technically go down as well. Unless they have back up internet which I don’t know if that exists. So that was the reason I said that. If you can explain it better than they can, great because tk be truthful they didn’t seem to know much. The Ecotech guy even told me a g4 pro wouldn’t work on my tank. I’m sure it would I would just have to have much closer to the surface of the water.

Nutramar Foods

Ecvernon

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using Neptune apex since 2011 before apex fusion was introduced. I had a few issues over the years.

Since 2011 I've replaced the head unit 2x for various issues ex: pH probe problems, connectivity issues(I now have a spare)

EB8 2x- warranty failure, second time damage from moisture.

I generally only rely on the head unit or EB8's. Friends of mine have more robust systems with more products integrated and experience more failures.

With the failures experienced vs time in service, I've have been extremely satisfied with my apex, as it's saved my tank from my own mistakes plenty of times.

U

User1

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Hello ,

I definitely don’t claim to know internet smart phones etc well. The reason I said that was it was directly said to me from an Ecotech rep. I thought about using the lights when I spoke to him, (I explained I don’t have internet at my subdivision yet, too new (Yes I moved just two weeks ago but a mile away so same subdivision), but cable one and century link are the only internet providers. So I’m on a waiting list. But they said I would absolutely need internet in order to run their lights. The same thing was said when I called brs and asked if Neptune needed it they said yes. So if one can’t access the internet and these item require it how does one make them work? I may be missing something here since I have never worked one etc. if internet goes down then the systems technically go down as well. Unless they have back up internet which I don’t know if that exists. So that was the reason I said that. If you can explain it better than they can, great because tk be truthful they didn’t seem to know much. The Ecotech guy even told me a g4 pro wouldn’t work on my tank. I’m sure it would I would just have to have much closer to the surface of the water.

I can't speak for ecotech. Apex has fusion so probably why BRS said that. However, with the Apex you can connect to it via your local network at home.

I can shutdown my entire home network and the apex and reef angel will both still work perfectly fine just as I can reboot or shut off power and the apex will pick right back up where it left off.

Maybe I'm missing something which very well could be true. Again, only speaking for the products I know. In fact if you want a back up of the Apex you have to login / access to the local address to get it. This way should you have to replace, restore, a head unit you have the config file to use.

DJF

The key to a successful reef is to never leave
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using Neptune apex since 2011 before apex fusion was introduced. I had a few issues over the years.

Since 2011 I've replaced the head unit 2x for various issues ex: pH probe problems, connectivity issues(I now have a spare)

EB8 2x- warranty failure, second time damage from moisture.

I generally only rely on the head unit or EB8's. Friends of mine have more robust systems with more products integrated and experience more failures.

With the failures experienced vs time in service, I've have been extremely satisfied with my apex, as it's saved my tank from my own mistakes plenty of times.
I’m sure Neptune appreciates your mindset as it seems to jive with their business model. Expect things to fail and be replaced. Out of curiosity, ever done the math?

CLICK TO VIEW

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't speak for ecotech. Apex has fusion so probably why BRS said that. However, with the Apex you can connect to it via your local network at home.

I can shutdown my entire home network and the apex and reef angel will both still work perfectly fine just as I can reboot or shut off power and the apex will pick right back up where it left off.

Maybe I'm missing something which very well could be true. Again, only speaking for the products I know. In fact if you want a back up of the Apex you have to login / access to the local address to get it. This way should you have to replace, restore, a head unit you have the config file to use.

Sorry if I sound well kinda dumb, but what do you mean by home network? The house I live in among about 300 others is super new, so nobody has actual internet. We can’t even call and ask for it, the two internet providers in Boise have not even installed their own hubs or lines or fiber optics etc to provide it. But they are saying I must have internet just to set it up. When I asked if I could maybe WiFi into my phone, they said the app does but the system needs to be linked to a home based internet.

MnFish1

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry if I sound well kinda dumb, but what do you mean by home network? The house I live in among about 300 others is super new, so nobody has actual internet. We can’t even call and ask for it, the two internet providers in Boise have not even installed their own hubs or lines or fiber optics etc to provide it. But they are saying I must have internet just to set it up. When I asked if I could maybe WiFi into my phone, they said the app does but the system needs to be linked to a home based internet.
You dont have cable TV? Or no access to Dish (The satellite) -

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You dont have cable TV? Or no access to Dish (The satellite) -

Hello,

Nope I haven’t had tv since I have lived in well both houses now. I do see satellite dishes but they must have a phone jack. I don’t even have a phone jack in either house. I didn’t know these systems could run off of satellite. I always thought satellite required phone line and internet in order for it to work properly. You can run it with out but lose a lot of features so I’m told. I have lots of movies lol like looney tunes. But only internet I have is from my smart phone. I do have Netflix app on it but seldom use it. But at least I have unlimited data or that would be crazy expensive.

U

User1

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges

Do not sound dumb at all, no dumb questions.

What I mean is you can technically create a network within your home. You just will not have internet connectivity. Cat 5, 6, can be run through the house and you can install a router and plug things into it and connect PC's and other things to share data, back up computers on your network storage, etc. Can also use wireless carts again which connect to a router and you have a private network in your home.

Depending on your phone carrier, let us say Verizon, create a hot spot on your phone and then your home PC's, laptop, whatever, could connect to that and you have internet access. My point is, if needed, you could have a local network which is contained within your home. Access stuff inside that box. Once you have internet then you can explore the outside world.

Side note Boise is pretty. I used to visit both Boise and Meridian (sp) when visiting my grandparents. Lots of fishing, collecting boysenberries, and other things that they would team me.

Thales

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sure Neptune appreciates your mindset as it seems to jive with their business model. Expect things to fail and be replaced. Out of curiosity, ever done the math?
yes. Then number of times the controller has saved my system makes it well worth it.

Are there really any products that have a zero failure rate? I find that hard to believe.

Last edited:

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate the fact that the Apex will disconnect every time there is a signal interruption with my internet service provider (Optimum), which requires me to do a hard reset at the head unit to reconnect to the network.

My system is hardwired via Ethernet cable. I have my 2016 head unit, modem and router on UPSs. However, at least once a week I have an interruption in my internet signal for several minutes (seems to be neighborhood wide). Without fail, when I log into Fusion, it shows that I’m disconnected from the network even though my internet signal has been restored.

Why can’t the Apex reconnect to the network on its own without having someone to be physically there to do a hard reset to connect back to the network? It doesn’t give me the sense that I can rely on the system when traveling without having someone be there physically to reset the headinit in case I have an interruption in my internet signal.

I expressed my experiences to Neptune in there recent customer service feedback email that went out last week.

Last edited:
Top Shelf Aquatics

Thales

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate the fact that the Apex is will disconnect every time there is a signal interruption with my internet service provider (Optimum), which requires me to do a hard reset at the head unit to reconnect to the network.

My system is hardwired via Ethernet cable. I have my 2016 head unit, modem and router on UPSs. However, at least once a week I have an interruption in my internet signal for several minutes (seems to be neighborhood wide). Without fail, when I log into Fusion, it shows that I’m disconnected from the network even though my internet signal has been restored.

Why can’t the Apex reconnect to the network on its own without having someone to be physically there to do a hard reset to connect back to the network? It doesn’t give me the sense that I can rely on the system when traveling without having someone be there physically to reset the headinit in case I have an interruption in my internet signal.

I expressed my experiences to Neptune in there recent customer service feedback email that went out last week.

That sounds weird. Mine reconnects. What has Neptune told you about this- assuming you started a ticket?

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven’t submitted s ticket yet, but I will this week as I had a 3 month old DDR fail on me this past month as well. I hope they replace the sensors in the DDR with the new V2 optical sensors.

It’s super frustrating, as I spent money on 3 UPSs so this wouldn’t be an issue, yet it still is. :( When it happens, about once a week, I go to Fusion and get the disconnect notice. I hit the reset button (with the circular arrows symbol) and it never resets. The only way it can get it to reconnect to the network is to use a toothpick and hit the physical reset button on the head unit.

MnFish1

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sounds weird. Mine reconnects. What has Neptune told you about this- assuming you started a ticket?

It is inconsistent - I have had the same problem - it wasn't just with internet service it was also with a power outage (which then cut the internet) - if the router doesnt send out a signal before the Apex reboots - it sometime would not reconnect - this has been discussed many times (I believe) in various places - most people say keep a battery backup so that its not as much of a problem - In my case - since I got my new unit (replaced after failure) - and have religiously updated the firmware - this no longer happens. Neptune recommended a battery backup (to me) - which I have not needed

Neptune

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Top Shelf Aquatics
Back