Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello my fellow reefers; I’ve always been fascinated by microworlds, from my nano planted tanks or my dart frog vivariums, this been said, I chose the Fluval EVO 13.5 as my first reef tank, I’ve made all possible upgrades suggested, lights, flow, filtering material, protein skimmer, the works. In my builds I usually add the highest tech possible, not just to have but what makes sense to the wellbeing of the animals. Anyway, too much background, my question is if adding an Apex Controller would be beneficial for my nano reef? Or is it definitely an overkill? Thanks as always for your replies.

BadCrab

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aquarium controllers are rarely needed but they’re always cool. If you’re budget conscious, the A1Jr, A1 Classic, A2, or A2El are all viable controllers that will put you into the Apex ecosystem and can be scooped for very reasonable prices secondhand. The I/O is the primary difference between them.

I’ve just setup an A1 ApexJr on my 5g FW and an A2 Apex on my new 22L Reef. Most people with controllers underutilize them. If you experiment and learn what you’re doing the options are really powerful. If your lights and pumps are controllable, you get a small array of sensors, a little bit of programming guidance… you got a stew goin.

Not woodyarmadillo

The other Tim
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a nano as well and sort of on the same trend as you. I have nice lights and wave maker, ATO, temp controller etc. I’m a little nervous about complicating things more with an apex and trident but I can’t see me not doing it now. If I can monitor my PH, mag, cal, alk and cut down on that 15-20 minutes I spend every few days testing, I’ll probably do it. Especially when I need to start dosing.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
jgalina

jgalina

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aquarium controllers are rarely needed but they’re always cool. If you’re budget conscious, the A1Jr, A1 Classic, A2, or A2El are all viable controllers that will put you into the Apex ecosystem and can be scooped for very reasonable prices secondhand. The I/O is the primary difference between them.

I’ve just setup an A1 ApexJr on my 5g FW and an A2 Apex on my new 22L Reef. Most people with controllers underutilize them. If you experiment and learn what you’re doing the options are really powerful. If your lights and pumps are controllable, you get a small array of sensors, a little bit of programming guidance… you got a stew goin.
Awesome! Thank you!

OP
OP
jgalina

jgalina

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a nano as well and sort of on the same trend as you. I have nice lights and wave maker, ATO, temp controller etc. I’m a little nervous about complicating things more with an apex and trident but I can’t see me not doing it now. If I can monitor my PH, mag, cal, alk and cut down on that 15-20 minutes I spend every few days testing, I’ll probably do it. Especially when I need to start dosing.
Thanks, we’re exactly on the same page!

Neptune

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
FM
Back