Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can see how a piece of rigid insulation pink foamboard might be able to protect the bottom of a tank from an imperfect stand surface, with the foamboard "absorbing" the shape of a slight raised screw head, for example.

But in what way could any kind of soft, rubberized, roll up mat provide any protection whatsoever? You put a thousand pound fish tank on something like that and it'll squish down to nothingness and provide no protection at all... or so it would seem to me.

Also, "self-leveling"? Am I really supposed to believe that any mat with a thousand pound aquarium on it will crush down less on one side than another in perfect accordance with gravity? The term seems inapplicable to me. The only thing that self levels is a liquid.

So, not having used one before (and needing one for my new setup), can anyone chime in here please? What's your experience been?

Avast
OP
OP
jmatt

jmatt

Just gettin' started. Again.
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big of a tank are you leveling?
I don't even know that it needs leveling... and if it does it will be by shimming the stand.

The idea that you can take a uniform, regularly solid shape, place it on an tilted plane and have it compensate by somehow crushing down lower on one said than the other to "self level" the entire surface is nonsensical to me.

A cushion may be able to absorb and protect the tank glass from a raised screw head (and that's a good idea) but it's not leveling per se. Let alone "self" leveling.

All of that said, 48x30x17H.

Top Shelf Aquatics
AI Hydra

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
UNLEASH THE FULL POTENTIAL OF YOUR REEF
Back