Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted the forums thoughts on placing a Nemo in a Nano 7.5g Reef tank.

Is it too small? Can I get away with having one?

Does keeping then alone make em unhappy? Is there any other tank mates that I can place with them.

I am a newbie and keep getting conflicting information from my LFS, online peeps, but want to know what R2R thinks!

[HASH=34504]#reefhelp[/HASH]

Nutramar Foods
AquaCave Logo Banner
Avast

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend avoiding a clownfish. As @Lavey29 pointed out, rock displacement will make the available space much smaller. This isn't usually an issue in a large tank, but it will add up for nanos. Clowns can also get pretty large as adults when under good conditions, about 3.5" long and 1.5" tall. Instead, I recommend either a small goby or a single Chrysiptera damsel, with no other fish. The goby won't move far from its burrow and will utilize the rockwork in making its home, and the damsel will stay around 2/3rds the size of the clown. Damsels are the bettas of saltwater (readily available, colorful, do well in tanks as small as 5 gallons, and will beat up most other fish), and I highly recommend them when they are the only fish. If you want to add further activity, small shrimp and porcelain crabs will do so without making much of a difference to the bioload. Good luck!

Lavey29

7500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clowns live in sumps smaller than most nanos. Ask me how i know. :cool:
Not really, average sump is like 15g. Shamu swam in a pool. Are we really doing the best for our animals? Temporary time out, sure sump is fine for temporarily housing problem fish.

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
enlighten

enlighten

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend avoiding a clownfish. As @Lavey29 pointed out, rock displacement will make the available space much smaller. This isn't usually an issue in a large tank, but it will add up for nanos. Clowns can also get pretty large as adults when under good conditions, about 3.5" long and 1.5" tall. Instead, I recommend either a small goby or a single Chrysiptera damsel, with no other fish. The goby won't move far from its burrow and will utilize the rockwork in making its home, and the damsel will stay around 2/3rds the size of the clown. Damsels are the bettas of saltwater (readily available, colorful, do well in tanks as small as 5 gallons, and will beat up most other fish), and I highly recommend them when they are the only fish. If you want to add further activity, small shrimp and porcelain crabs will do so without making much of a difference to the bioload. Good luck!
Sexy shrimp and damsel?

ReeferCO

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had 2 in a 13.5 gallon fluval evo. They were tiny when I got them and after 1 year I transferred them to a 75 gallon DT. In a year from now I am looking at a 5 to 6 foot 150 gallon or larger as other tank inhabitants continue to grow.

They’ll likely be fine for a while but if they outgrow the tank would you be ok with re homing them, or increasing the size of your system.

OP
OP
enlighten

enlighten

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have plans to design a 2-in-1 40 gal breeder tank, probably a 30/70 split with refugium on the small side and mixed reef on the big side. Will incorporate some mechanical/chemical filtration and a HOB Protein Skimmer. I plan to have an assortment of macroalgae and probably a sweet Euphyllia garden.

xiongsy

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted the forums thoughts on placing a Nemo in a Nano 7.5g Reef tank.

Is it too small? Can I get away with having one?

Does keeping then alone make em unhappy? Is there any other tank mates that I can place with them.

I am a newbie and keep getting conflicting information from my LFS, online peeps, but want to know what R2R thinks!

[HASH=34504]#reefhelp[/HASH]
I have a 22.4 and I would not do it. You'll start to feel sorry.

Euphrate

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have plans to design a 2-in-1 40 gal breeder tank, probably a 30/70 split with refugium on the small side and mixed reef on the big side. Will incorporate some mechanical/chemical filtration and a HOB Protein Skimmer. I plan to have an assortment of macroalgae and probably a sweet Euphyllia garden.
The problem is that, it's better you wait until you have this tank before having the fishes haha.
Also damsels like to swim :/ i don't know as soon as we host fish, we got to provide them the best living conditions.

Nman

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sexy shrimp and damsel?
I have some damsels they were fine when small but a lot larger now. And they are very territorial big time and if you add anything else they chase and attack everything. You want something layed back and peaceful then you don’t have problems later . Hope you find your perfect fish .

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Widdlyscudds

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Open Door Police GIF

NanoJHB

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had my pair of clowns in my 10gallon for over two years now. They hardly move from the pincushion that they host.

They're not like a tang or wrasse that are very active in terms of swimming distance. I think a small one will be great in your 7g for a few years.

doubleshot00

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really, average sump is like 15g. Shamu swam in a pool. Are we really doing the best for our animals? Temporary time out, sure sump is fine for temporarily housing problem fish.
Sump have chambers. They don’t go from chamber to chamber. Mines been with my skimmer for months. And thats where he’s going to stay until i feel like dealing with another tank.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Lavey29

7500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sump have chambers. They don’t go from chamber to chamber. Mines been with my skimmer for months. And thats where he’s going to stay until i feel like dealing with another tank.
I'm sure he's living the dream there too

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Reef Diaper
Back