Need some ideas for UV, pictures inside and I've so far failed....

Ecotech Marine

Siberwulf

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

I'm trying to get some UV setup in my tank, as I've been battling Dinos for a while and need them gone for good. I had a GKM in there but it wasn't enough to keep them at bay (it also died pretty quickly on me)

I had a pretty good plan, screenshot below:
UVSetup.jpg

That's a COR15 (I have Apex all the things) and a Aqua UV 25w. The plan was to close-loop it and keep all the water over the tank (in case of leaks, power failures, etc). All was going well until I tried to power on the COR15 to do a leak check and it wouldn't start up without being submerged. It always says "DRY" and spins a bit. I figured I could prime it by inverting the input tube and filling it with water...but alas, no dice.

I thought about just keeping this under in the sump but there's a whole lot of reasons I'm not a fan:
  1. I'd have to suck water from my future and return it to the final return pump area, bypassing my skimmer and GFO/Carbon.
  2. There's not a ton of room here.
  3. Water would be flowing outside the tank, and puts in a risk for leaks
I also thought if I added a second return pump in the return chamber, I'd be able to work that...but I'm 99% sure it won't fit, and also leaves me with problem 3 above,
SumpLastStage.jpg

So I'm looking for some creative ideas. There's a last resort where I could get a pump that doesn't need to be submerged to start and I'd probably be ok. But again, that's a last resort as those suckers aren't cheap and I've to redo some plumbing.

Thanks in advance :)

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
World Wide Corals

blaxsun

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a pretty interesting read! How did you end up bleeding all the air out so you didn't trap a bubble?
I held my thumb over the exit tubing and then alternated the flow (min/max) until all the air was blasted out. With the lights off you can see any bubbles passing through the tubing as "pulses"; once those disappear and you get a steady light there's little if any air left.

Ideally, mount it facing the other way so it's less work, lol.

AI Hydra

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Back