Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I have purchased a 65 gallon (36x18x24) tank and am trying to decide on lighting. It has a center brace if that will make a difference. I am thinking of going with the photon 24 v2+ lights for the tank but am wondering if they will be good enough for this size tank with the brace. My plan is like most for a mixed reef with soft and lps corals and maybe once I’ve figured stuff out a few beginner sps. They seem perfect for that in my tank size but I’m a noob. Just wondering if there is anyone with a similar setup or experience with these lights who can help me.

Top Shelf Aquatics
Top Shelf Aquatics

Dennis2213

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I have purchased a 65 gallon (36x18x24) tank and am trying to decide on lighting. It has a center brace if that will make a difference. I am thinking of going with the photon 24 v2+ lights for the tank but am wondering if they will be good enough for this size tank with the brace. My plan is like most for a mixed reef with soft and lps corals and maybe once I’ve figured stuff out a few beginner sps. They seem perfect for that in my tank size but I’m a noob. Just wondering if there is anyone with a similar setup or experience with these lights who can help me.
Wouldn't do it... I would rather invest on hydra32 instead.

OP
OP
bert236

bert236

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your reasoning being? Sorry just doesn’t help much to say I would just buy x instead with no reasoning. I know hydras would be better but so would buying a kessil ap9x or a Neptune sky. More wondering if the 24s are going to have enough light for what I mentioned in my op.

AquaCave Logo Banner
OP
OP
bert236

bert236

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought @SeaDweller uses photons on his tank. I think if you check out his older posts you'll find some nice sps images with them.
Ya that’s a beautiful setup. Maybe one day lol. They seem to need good for what I want to do I’m just having trouble deciding on size. Next step up would be hydras or Red Sea 90s and they both will run me over $1100 cad where the 32 photon is only $800 and I know that will be more than enough. I can get the photon 24 for $500 though so more money for fish and corals if they work

Dennis2213

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your reasoning being? Sorry just doesn’t help much to say I would just buy x instead with no reasoning. I know hydras would be better but so would buying a kessil ap9x or a Neptune sky. More wondering if the 24s are going to have enough light for what I mentioned in my op.
Reason being I had a set.. failed after 8 months lost LED or burnt out . Called the vendor and they kept trying to Pawn me off to cree the manufacturer of the LED. After circling for months gave them a F-U, and got AI. That's the reason. Do you though you may have an different experience, just not worth it my opinion. I don't care how good a product claims to be customer service is everything.

OP
OP
bert236

bert236

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reason being I had a set.. failed after 8 months lost LED or burnt out . Called the vendor and they kept trying to Pawn me off to cree the manufacturer of the LED. After circling for months gave them a F-U, and got AI. That's the reason. Do you though you may have an different experience, just not worth it my opinion. I don't care how good a product claims to be customer service is everything.
That’s fair enough. Haven’t actually seen issues with that in the reading I’ve done but I’ll keep an eye out for more people with that issue. I just need a light that can actually give good par at 24” deep and not break the bank. Hydra was my second choice of light btw and it seems to be what most people say for similar tanks to mine. At that point though ($500 per light 100 per bracket) would an ap9x not be a better option for $100ish more?

Kfactor

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s your budget and what do you plan on keeping ?

gilman

Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive had radion , hydra 32 , viparspectra , t5 , metal halide , compact fluorescents, VHO , and have seen many reef breeders and kessil/ and nothing stands up to Orphek Atlantiks and OR bars . Metal halide would be my second choice after Orphek

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
bert236

bert236

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive had radion , hydra 32 , viparspectra , t5 , metal halide , compact fluorescents, VHO , and have seen many reef breeders and kessil/ and nothing stands up to Orphek Atlantiks and OR bars . Metal halide would be my second choice after Orphek
Ok that’s good to know I’ll look more at them but I know multiple of those are still good options and cheaper. I’m looking for the cheapest lights that will be good for what I have mentioned. This is my first tank and while I could just blow thousands and thousands on the setup I’m trying to keep is somewhat budget friendly and beginner friendly.

clownfish81

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go with the photons because it gives an even spread of light throughout the tank.
If you get hydra32s or any spotlight style stuff, I suggest getting a couple bulbs of t5s too.

Kfactor

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No budget but want the cheapest option for lps and some soft but don’t want to limit myself if I want a few sps.
i have had a lot of lights i would stay away from ai i have had bad luck with them . i would look in to the reefi lights i have always wanted to try them and what i have read there really good. i run mh now and on my frag tank i run kessil and love it .

CLICK TO VIEW
OP
OP
bert236

bert236

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have had a lot of lights i would stay away from ai i have had bad luck with them . i would look in to the reefi lights i have always wanted to try them and what i have read there really good. i run mh now and on my frag tank i run kessil and love it .
just took a quick look and they look nice. will look more into them. They are about the same price (probably about $1100 cad) with the mounts as the hydras are. photons still are winning out for me though at potentially $500

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
FM
Back