Need help with new saltwater tank (lowering nitrate and increasing ph)

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
R

Riley Pasha

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes temp diff is a problem. You want the temp to match. Dont do water changes with water temps not matching. 1 degree off is no big deal but sounds like your not that close
Alright. I guess I will pick up a new one on my way home tommorow and do the change that day. Thank you.

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
R

Riley Pasha

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes temp diff is a problem. You want the temp to match. Dont do water changes with water temps not matching. 1 degree off is no big deal but sounds like your not that close
Ok Final question I swear, if I end up buying an RODI unit how should I transfer that into my tank since it already has tap rn? Should I just do a 50% change and leave the 50% of tap already in there and replace the rest with RODI?

Top Shelf Aquatics

peterthegamer

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok Final question I swear, if I end up buying an RODI unit how should I transfer that into my tank since it already has tap rn? Should I just do a 50% change and leave the 50% of tap already in there and replace the rest with RODI?
Slowly do water changes and eventually it will work itself out.

saltyphish

Certified Sand Groomer
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck and don't rush because your nitrate aren't that high, so no need to stress about it.
Exactly, most times we overreact to a problem and cause more problems. 10ppm is actually normal for soft coral tanks. In a fowler fish only unless your seeing lots of algae your good. You can still bring it down some but dont go crazy over it. Maybe do a little larger water change and reduce feeding. Make sure all food is being eaten any left over will add to your problem

AS
OP
OP
R

Riley Pasha

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

saltyphish

Certified Sand Groomer
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My exp with those are not the best for long term use. Your better off buying a bigger unit. I use a aquafx barracuda myself. Buy your water from a lfs until you can afford a bigger unit buying the ro buddy will only be that much money you could use towards a better system.

JMLewis

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
R

Riley Pasha

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

FishLover01

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I wouldn't worry about calcium and magnesium unless you're planning on this being a reef tank instead of a fish only tank. You might would have to dose calcium for certain invertibrates. You could either use crushed coral as the substrate or add some to a nylon bag to help raise the ph. Mid 7's is way too low for clownfish or almost any saltwater marine tank. Ideally, should be 8.3-8.4ppm but around 8.0ppm would be acceptable. No ammonia presence is acceptable ever. If any is ever detected, need to perform an immediate water change. For fish only tank, nitrates at 10ppm is fine but for coral and invertibrates, ideally should be at 5ppm. Make sure there is no dead spots where food can easily decay. Adjustment of powerheads is all that takes. Good Luck.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

AAF
Back