Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a process of purchasing a gfo and carbon reactor (aquamax) I need to know do I need to hire a professional to plumb and install or will I be able to do it myself? Any help would be highly appreciated

BRS

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a process of purchasing a gfo and carbon reactor (aquamax) I need to know do I need to hire a professional to plumb and install or will I be able to do it myself? Any help would be highly appreciated
Depends how competent you are installing plumbing. Its all able to be hooked up with hosebarbs and soft tubing. You likely just need to source a pump.

dwest

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You probably can do it yourself. If you haven’t tried, I would first try them in a bag and see if that works for you.

GarrettT

Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_8030.jpeg

Inverted bottle, mesh bag, and magnet. Seachem Matrix and Phosgaurd. You can mix the two together in same bag/container.

malacoda

Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you assemble the plumbing for your tank?

If so, adding reactors is no different. It's just a matter if you want to run them off of a T from your return line with a valve after it, off of a manifold from your return line (basically 2 tees each with a valve), or have a dedicated pump in the sump to feed them.

That said, given that you are asking this question, you may need to gain a little more familiarity with reactors and how to plumb them before attempting it.

It isn't difficult, it just means reviewing the instructions for your specific reactors ... then reviewing some build threads here on R2R and/or watching a few videos on YouTube to see how others have set them up.

OP
OP
T

txmk4

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you going to connect them together go through one and then the other?
Use a manifold?
Use two pumps?
Use one pump and a tee with valves?
The easiest way would be to get 2 aquamax reactor and 2 pumps or just one reactor and one pump I was told to run carbon and gfo seperate?

OP
OP
T

txmk4

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you assemble the plumbing for your tank?

If so, adding reactors is no different. It's just a matter if you want to run them off of a T from your return line with a valve after it, off of a manifold from your return line (basically 2 tees each with a valve), or have a dedicated pump in the sump to feed them.

That said, given that you are asking this question, you may need to gain a little more familiarity with reactors and how to plumb them before attempting it.

It isn't difficult, it just means reviewing the instructions for your specific reactors ... then reviewing some build threads here on R2R and/or watching a few videos on YouTube to see how others have set them up.
I didn't assemble any plumbing in my tank.

Would it better to use pvc pipe or vinyl tubing?

GarrettT

Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The easiest way would be to get 2 aquamax reactor and 2 pumps or just one reactor and one pump I was told to run carbon and gfo seperate?
One pump, one reactor, or two reactors (tied to a manifold. GFO needs to tumble, so if using, I would suggest not mixing the two. Carbon should not tumble. Aluminum oxide (Phosgaurd) should not tumble, which is why the two can be mixed together.
Would it better to use pvc pipe or vinyl tubing?
Either works. I personally would not use PVC on a reactor.

If using the Aquamaxx reactor, I would remove the intake barb fitting and add a union.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
T

txmk4

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One pump, one reactor, or two reactors (tied to a manifold. GFO needs to tumble, so if using, I would suggest not mixing the two. Carbon should not tumble. Aluminum oxide (Phosgaurd) should not tumble, which is why the two can be mixed together.

Either works. I personally would not use PVC on a reactor.

If using the Aquamaxx reactor, I would remove the intake barb fitting and add a union.

Can i install manifold in my existing return pump line? With the manifold do I need a seperate pump or will my main pump move water through manifold into the reactors?

GarrettT

Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Main return pump or separate pump will work with a manifold. All it’s doing is supplying water. I’ve done it both ways. That said, I prefer using a separate pump for my reactors. Taping into your main return pump can sometimes interfere with herbie or beananimal style drains.

OP
OP
T

txmk4

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Main return pump or separate pump will work with a manifold. All it’s doing is supplying water. I’ve done it both ways. That said, I prefer using a separate pump for my reactors. Taping into your main return pump can sometimes interfere with herbie or beananimal style drains.
Forget the manifold route just add a sicca 1.5 with vinyl tubing to the inlet of aquamax? Do I still need to install flow valve to control the water flow? I have a durso style over flow

Avast

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forget the manifold route just add a sicca 1.5 with vinyl tubing to the inlet of aquamax? Do I still need to install flow valve to control the water flow? I have a durso style over flow
Yeah get a quick connect ball valve and attach it to the tubing outlet so you can control flow.

AI Nero 5

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Ecotech Marine
Back