Need help with 125G placement/location

TanknTang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys need some advice on where to put my new 125 gallon tank. After doing a lot of thread research I was reading that saltwater tanks can deteriorate wood or cause a lot of mold to unfinished basements?

I originally planned on putting it in my unfinished basement against the wall, after shimming it and leveling it correctly but after researching my main concern has me contemplating my location.

I will link a video to the basement and I am looking for some advice,

1. Is the location where its at, ideal? Or okay? Will it cause damage to the wood above? Is there something I can do to protect the wood if so? Will adding a lid to the tank help? Any other concerns I am not thinking of?
(I originally wanted it against the wall to the right side of the window, not sure it that is better than where it is now)

2. If the location is not ideal, my desire more so was to put it upstairs, however this is an old victorian and the wood may not support the weight so in the video you will see me walk over and point to the beam where the wall in the room id have the tank against. Even with adding supports possibly the wood looks very questionable..

Shorter version lol: Maybe I am overthinking it but I am located in MA. Victorian house. Central air. Questionable wood. Basement looks like best option for weight support. How do we make it safe for the wood above tank from saltwater?

Video link;

Thanks anyone who can help

Formulator

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you will be fine. I’ve had all this in the unfinished area of my basement for 6 years with no problems. And my display is on a nice wood floor on main level. Again no issues.

IMG_3822.jpeg

IMG_4052.jpeg

OP
OP
TanknTang

TanknTang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you will be fine. I’ve had all this in the unfinished area of my basement for 6 years with no problems. And my display is on a nice wood floor on main level. Again no issues.

IMG_3822.jpeg

IMG_4052.jpeg
Maybe I am overthinking it after all but the floor strength to have it upstairs still has me questioning it. Have you noticed any humidity or mold changes since?

Formulator

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I am overthinking it after all but the floor strength to have it upstairs still has me questioning it. Have you noticed any humidity or mold changes since?
The floor will be fine. Does the floor collapse when you take a bath? No. It can hold far more weight than you think. Especially against a foundation wall. I have had no problems with mold or humidity. But I live in St. Louis and its very humid here in the summer anyways. Winter is dry and my whole home humidifier still has to run to keep things comfortable then.

Also, I had the tank on the second floor of my previous house which was built at the turn of the century. Still no issues with weight.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back