Need help! What are these worms?

barrybaok

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

I just had a really bad experience at Reefapalooza. Long story short, a ton of these little white worms coming out from the torch. One of my expert friend said they looked like flatworms. I see them floating everywhere in my tank now, and I’m not sure if they are dead or not as I’ve been treating the whole tank with cipro, Brightwell Koral recover etc.
what are they? good or bad worms? Any tip on treating the entire tank? Thanks!
IMG_1131.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1131.jpeg
    IMG_1131.jpeg
    177.6 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_1143.jpeg
    IMG_1143.jpeg
    160.8 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_1136.png
    IMG_1136.png
    641.5 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_1125.jpeg
    IMG_1125.jpeg
    140.8 KB · Views: 37
OP
OP
barrybaok

barrybaok

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

Do they come out of the fleshy part or the stony base of the coral?

@ISpeakForTheSeas Maybe Peanut worm? im not for certain
Thank you for welcoming me to the team!

They came out from the inside of the coral. After a section of flesh melts, a ton of worms floating in the solution as I was treating them.

OP
OP
barrybaok

barrybaok

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure on the worms, but that torch doesn’t look good to me. Did you buy it like that?

-MattAl

Not sure on the worms, but that torch doesn’t look good to me. Did you buy it like that?

-Matt
All torches from that vendor weren’t open up fully. They explained it’s the water and wave maker which was understandable. It was my fault for not checking the flesh but man they were really bright. The 3rd or 4th day when I treat them I noticed the melting flesh and little worms. When I spoke to the vendor, they said they had them for a really long time and there was no issue. Asked if I match the temp and water parameter but dude, it’s a different issue here cuz the torches had tons of parasites in them. I dipped 3-4 torches and blew hard with a turkey baster afterward and found no parasites at all

ISpeakForTheSeas

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

I can tell you for sure those aren't flatworms; they also don't look like any of the worms I'm familiar with from what I can see in the image, and coral-parasitic worms aren't particularly common.

Honestly, given how unhealthy the torch looks, unless you see those worms actively moving in the water, I would assume those are probably decaying parts of the torch's flesh/insides.

OP
OP
barrybaok

barrybaok

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

I can tell you for sure those aren't flatworms; they also don't look like any of the worms I'm familiar with from what I can see in the image, and coral-parasitic worms aren't particularly common.

Honestly, given how unhealthy the torch looks, unless you see those worms actively moving in the water, I would assume those are probably decaying parts of the torch's flesh/insides.
Thank you for welcoming!

That makes sense, it sounds like part of the torch tissues. Luckily I was able to switch one for free and paid $100 for another one. I’ll catch a worm from the tank and check it under a magnifying glass.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back