Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Theyre yellow polyps and can run wild. I like them but wow- this is an infestation. They are related to zoa and when Fed- Will Spread.
Getting rid of them can be an issue as you will address them head by head, but if you can break rock into pieces, you can sell them as colonies

Dear lord....

mushrommy

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attachments

• hydroids-reefs.jpg
    hydroids-reefs.jpg
    187.5 KB · Views: 25
Nutramar Foods

ISpeakForTheSeas

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with hydroids, probably Myrionema amboinense.

Edit: I've heard smothering the hydroids with kalk paste may work, and here are some other threads with suggestions that might be helpful::

Top Shelf Aquatics

HB AL

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You really wanna get rid of it really quick pull the rocks and put them in a bucket of freshwater for a few hours then grab your garden hose and blast away the all the dead and put back in your tank. Ive done this before with those, zoas etc. to eradicate as I dont wanna get rid of large rocks. I've acquired a nice mix of rock over the decade's and even have a couple large trash cans full I keep in the garage, luckily I did that with the price of good rock nowadays.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I am back home and after looking on my PC Vs. Phone screen, these are no doubt yellow/brown hydroids.
best removal is usually directing flow at them so they starve as they favor brine shrimp. With this many, your best bet is to cut the stems with a sharp razor blade and net them as you cut them and then follow with treatment of pickle lime made in thick solution over them but do this in steps as lime can raise your alk.

ReefLife_Guy

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My vote is also digitate hydroids based on morphology. While both look similar with their whispy tentacles, yellow polyps (Parazoanthus gracilis) have a thicker stalk and larger central disk while hydroids typically have a very thin stalk and essentially no sort of central disk. For some reason zoa frags are highly susceptible to coming with hydroids (not sure the reasoning for this). From what I have read previously when I had some on a few frags, was to use similar products used for aiptasia removal. For me, I just removed the frag and scrubbed them and then never saw them again. Hydroids are from the Hydrozoa class and so can exist as jelly fish which means they can easily spread around the tank.

Nutramar Foods

HB AL

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The above 2 comments are the reason I like reading stuff like this on reef2reef, even after being in this hobby since I was 15 and now 53 I'm always still learning new things and store it in the memory bank for future use if needed.:)

Nutramar Foods
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Back