Need help identifying "worm looking" critter seen under microscope

GePerezReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello folks:

I suspect I have diatoms so I took a sample of my sand and analyzed it under the microscope (the sample was taken using the "10/0.25 (160/0.17)" lense with the WF10X (DIN 18 MM) attachment).

Sure enough, I do see diatoms but I also see some "worm looking" critters that I have never seen on samples of the aquarium before (I have had diatoms before).

I have been scouring the internet for a positive ID to no avail (search results are too broad).
What is concerning to me is that this was a fairly well scoped sample and yet I seem to have plenty of these critters.
Below you will see a picture and a video showing many of them (my apologies for the shakiness of the video, I had to use the cellphone on the microscope).
Any help identifying them and suggestions for control would be highly appreciated!

1720307719205.png

Dan_P

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello folks:

I suspect I have diatoms so I took a sample of my sand and analyzed it under the microscope (the sample was taken using the "10/0.25 (160/0.17)" lense with the WF10X (DIN 18 MM) attachment).

Sure enough, I do see diatoms but I also see some "worm looking" critters that I have never seen on samples of the aquarium before (I have had diatoms before).

I have been scouring the internet for a positive ID to no avail (search results are too broad).
What is concerning to me is that this was a fairly well scoped sample and yet I seem to have plenty of these critters.
Below you will see a picture and a video showing many of them (my apologies for the shakiness of the video, I had to use the cellphone on the microscope).
Any help identifying them and suggestions for control would be highly appreciated!

1720307719205.png
Is this a new aquarium? Anything happening in the aquarium that makes you feel that you need to control them?

OP
OP
G

GePerezReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this a new aquarium? Anything happening in the aquarium that makes you feel that you need to control them?
I have lost a couple of small fish. I attributed it to the diatoms but I'm wondering if these critters had something to do with it.

Dan_P

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have lost a couple of small fish. I attributed it to the diatoms but I'm wondering if these critters had something to do with it.
I never heard of diatoms killing fish.

The organisms living in the sand are typically the aquarium’s microscopic clean up crew.

OP
OP
G

GePerezReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the input, I really appreciate it.
I forgot to mention the aquarium is about 2 years old at this point. I am battling what appears to be cyano / diatoms.
I will leave these guys alone then and keep troubleshooting the other two problems. "
Thanks!

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back