Need help ID’ing disease

CamoFan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just moved my clowns and hawkish over into the hospital tank as I noticed what looks like ich but I’m not 100% sure. Tank is sitting at 2.5ppm using copper power as I suspect external parasites.

Doesn’t quite look like ich but I’m not 100% certain. See picture.

First noticed about 1-2 days ago when the male clownfish was sleeping away from the female. Thought it was sand. Got him in a cup and swirled, looked like they went away. Today I woke up and saw the female was also affected.

IMG_0311.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Just moved my clowns and hawkish over into the hospital tank as I noticed what looks like ich but I’m not 100% sure. Tank is sitting at 2.5ppm using copper power as I suspect external parasites.

First noticed about 1-2 days ago when the male clownfish was sleeping away from the female. Thought it was sand. Got him in a cup and swirled, looked like they went away. Today I woke up and saw the female was also affected.

IMG_0311.jpeg
Pics are dark but does appear to be ich and it appears they are already in quarantine. If you have not treated fish with anything, apply coppersafe or Copper Power at therapeutic level 2.25-2.5 For a FULL 30 days (do not interrupt this 30 day period) monitored by a reliable Copper Test kit such as Hanna Brand- No API brand. Also monitor Ammonia levels while in quarantine with a reliable test kit and add aeration during treatment using an air stone.

OP
OP
C

CamoFan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pics are dark but does appear to be ich and it appears they are already in quarantine. If you have not treated fish with anything, apply coppersafe or Copper Power at therapeutic level 2.25-2.5 For a FULL 30 days (do not interrupt this 30 day period) monitored by a reliable Copper Test kit such as Hanna Brand- No API brand. Also monitor Ammonia levels while in quarantine with a reliable test kit and add aeration during treatment using an air stone.
Camera decided to lose focus as I took the picture, I can get a better one

OP
OP
C

CamoFan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bumped up the exposure and tried for a shot of the fin where it’s darkest.

Attachments

• IMG_0313.jpeg
    IMG_0313.jpeg
    142 KB · Views: 39

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Bumped up the exposure and tried for a shot of the fin where it’s darkest.
Hmmm- I see thread like objects which may be secondary bacterial lesions. Try a 5 minute freshwater dip using tap water the same temperature as QT tank and see if this clears up slightly. Its not a treatment but a temporary measure. Aeration not need for dip but you can add

OP
OP
C

CamoFan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm- I see thread like objects which may be secondary bacterial lesions. Try a 5 minute freshwater dip using tap water the same temperature as QT tank and see if this clears up slightly. Its not a treatment but a temporary measure. Aeration not need for dip but you can add
Will do. Should I do the dip now or let them stay in the copper for a day? Also noticing the female has a hazy right eye.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Will do. Should I do the dip now or let them stay in the copper for a day? Also noticing the female has a hazy right eye.
Yu can dip and return to coppersafe.
Are you using cupramin or coppersafe?

Cupramine - dose at .45 - .5
Coppersafe at 2.25

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Using coppersafe at 2.5. I can lower it if needed. No signs of copper insensitivity about 30-45 minutes after adding
You’re good where you’re at. Go full 30 days and an eye on Ammonia levels with reliable test kit

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_0311.jpeg

How long have the fish been in copper? It takes 3+ days for that to control ich. The spots look "long" to me - no sure if that is from the photo, or if they look like that "in person", but ich spots will be round.

Both fish have protruding eyes, worse in the female. That can be from excess fat pads behind the eyes, but can also be from chronic diseases like Mycobacteria. It can also be from a previous supersaturation gas event in the tank, but in that case, the protruding eyes would have showed up in a day or so, and you would have likely noticed that.

OP
OP
C

CamoFan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have the fish been in copper? It takes 3+ days for that to control ich. The spots look "long" to me - no sure if that is from the photo, or if they look like that "in person", but ich spots will be round.

Both fish have protruding eyes, worse in the female. That can be from excess fat pads behind the eyes, but can also be from chronic diseases like Mycobacteria. It can also be from a previous supersaturation gas event in the tank, but in that case, the protruding eyes would have showed up in a day or so, and you would have likely noticed that.
They’ve been in QT now for about an hour. Someone at my LFS recommended 7 days and vette guy saying 30. I’ve seen others saying 14 days online.

As for the bulging eyes, do you think I should keep them in just the copper or should I dose additional antibiotics?

OP
OP
C

CamoFan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

They do appear elongated in person, hence why I was confused as it didn’t appear like the usual ich shape.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They do appear elongated in person, hence why I was confused as it didn’t appear like the usual ich shape.

They could just be mucus plugs - we really don't know what causes them, some stress issue (but ich can be a root cause).

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Roger that. Should I add any other meds due to the cloudy eye or just copper only along with water changes every 3 days?
The clean water should help with eye, however if it doesnt clear up in a couple of days, you can add Kanaplex.

OP
OP
C

CamoFan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got it. I did a tank swap recently. 20G long to 35G AIO and had to make 25G of new saltwater so the water quality shouldn’t have been an issue. Maybe the lights may have done something?
The clean water should help with eye, however if it doesnt clear up in a couple of days, you can add Kanaplex.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back