Need Help Choosing a Skimmer Based on Bioload - Reef Octopus Classic 110 INT vs NYOS Quantum 120

jorgeeandreess

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

I’m seeking some advice on choosing the right skimmer for my system based on bioload. I currently have the Reef Octopus Classic 110 INT, but I was considering upgrading to the NYOS Quantum 120.

My tank is 100 gallons (total 110), and I have 13 fish along with several corals, which I believe makes my bioload quite high. From my research, it seems like both of these skimmers might be insufficient for a system with a high bioload, but that’s just my opinion as I’m not an expert.

What do you guys recommend when it comes to selecting a skimmer based on bioload? Should I be looking at a larger model, or are there other factors I should consider before making a decision? Any tips or recommendations are highly appreciated!

Thanks in advance for your help!

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 Nyos skimmers, the 160 and 300 and there very good and easy to use when you get used to them.

My advice would be to look into a roller matt depending on what you can get were you live, I have the X Filter 1.7 and 1.0. In my opinion these vertually get rid of the need for a skimmer as depending on the micron size they remove much of the waste before it gets to the skimmer, or you could at least downgrade it. My skimmers hardly produce anything these days, and rarely even get cleaned.

Yes they may add aeration to the water, but that will happen anyway.

jft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef octo IMO is great. I have used the Classic series for ten years without issues and the gate valves alone with fair pricing in my opinion is the best and most reliable bang for the buck. I have tried Multiple skimmers including Lifereef, bubble magus, Icecap,Tunze, and other skimmers and always found 150 classic series the most stable and reliable. Just my opinion .Good luck!

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back