Need anemone help! Will H2O2 fix what I can not see?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, I don’t think silicate will impact an anemone, either on the high or low side since they do not use it.

AS

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Silicate definitely feeds algae growth and could possibly drive instability in my experience. Nitrate doesn’t bother nems in my experience either but it can also drive instability in a tank.
The only algae that consumes silicate are diatoms, and their growth is not going to harm an anemone unless their growth strips something else from the water that an anemone needs.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
T

Todd Kellley

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tested your phosphates and nitrates. My BTA react bad if they get too high.
[/QUOTE
Nitrates stay right about 3ppm, phosphates at zero which may be another issue I am dealing with. The pic of them healthy was right after I switched from conditioning tap water to RODI water. My tap water was very high in phosphates creating issues with algae and diatoms. I have had other reefers tell me the BTA's like some phosphates so I wonder if I stressed them by switching water. However now that I have increased my water changes and added the UV they seem to be becoming more active again. The bigger one has moved to an area with more flow though it is still getting beat up by 2 chocolate and two anemone crabs. Have been hoping one of the crabs will move to another one but they dont. Anything and everything that is not supposed to happen as far as marine life being territorial is happening in the exact opposite in my tank. 2 watchman Gobys shacked up together with one pistol shrimp at one end and left a shrimp at the other. Bought the other lonely shrimp a Randalls Goby and now he is shacked up with 2 pistol shrimp. Both of which everyone says the Goby's will chase each other off and shrimp will not tolerate another in their burrow. Same with the anemone crabs, everything I read says they will not share a anemone with another crab or clown and the clowns usually win that battle. Not here! Both crabs tolerate each other and the clowns do not chase them off. Gotta love how nature creates her own rules. What makes reefing so amazing!

OP
OP
T

Todd Kellley

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saving suffering anemones is often unsuccessful, even by the most experienced anemone keepers. There is no sure method.
Sure seems to be the truth. These two are still eating and active but not inflating near the size they used to. Seems to be getting better, but no, there seems to be no "majic" fix. Especially when you can not pinpoint what caused them to start to suffer in the first place.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Aquarium Specialty
Back