Need advice. Upgrading from 35 to 55 gallon

bjmartie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So currently in my 35gallon i have roughly 10-15 lbs of live rocks, aragnoite substrate. I have a valentine puffer, a clown fish, lawnmower blenny, lunar wrasse, fire fish and a spotted goby.

All are moving into the 55.

My process was to move the HOB filter, which is rated up to a 75 gallon, so carrying over the good bacteria with it.

I have a 10 gallon i was going to set up and move the fish into while i get everything set up for the 55 gallon. Im going to take a few gallons of water from out the 35 and place within the 10 gallon with the fish.

I was going to siphon the water out the 35 into a brute, move the tank and put the 55 it its place. Then move the aragonite, rock and filter into the new tank. Use the water combined with new salt water into the new tank. Then add the fish from the 10, including the water thats also in the 10 gallon tank.

Will this help to prevent the tank from cycling? Anything else i could do?

VinnyBoy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Anytime you start a new tank you should expect at least some extent of cycling.

Your tank water actually provides zero beneficial bacteria and your filter media provides some but not much. Your live rock is actually where ALL your beneficial bacteria is going to be. Your aragonite substrate should NOT be reused. It contains lots of detritus which will cause an ammonia spike when you stir it up and will likely harm any livestock.

OP
OP
B

bjmartie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should it be ok to add the fish in to the tank?

Added some seed, carried the pump and filter over, and most of the live rock into the new tank today.

Also added in 5 new bags of aragonite.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back