Nanocube24 lighting

OceanMinded

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. I’m downgrading from a 20g Waterbox w/ Kessil a360x back to a Nanocube24 with CFL hood. Many reasons for this, one of them being that i only have 1 fish and a few random zoa polyps. Dont need a Kessil. Another reason is because I want the hood. No more open top for me.

With that being said, what are my options for lighting upgrades while retaining the OEM hood/canopy. Is there an 150w metal halide hood? I see they make the LED updated version, but I can’t justify $350-$400 for that.

Thanks!

Dread Pirate Dave

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I DIY'd mouting 3 Fluval Nano Marine 3.0 lights into my 29 gallon biocube. They're fine for now but I wish they had a UV channel. :)

20240713_142336.jpg

Dread Pirate Dave

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How’s the heat? Assuming you have them down pretty low for how close they are to the surface no?
The heat can be an issue if I leave the front lid closed. I plan on putting a screen into the lid so I can leave it closed but allow for evaporation to cool things off. I wish I had retained the stock fans that were mounted for the lights. They were small ones,, maybe 80mm in size. (can't recall exactly) :)

OP
OP
OceanMinded

OceanMinded

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The heat can be an issue if I leave the front lid closed. I plan on putting a screen into the lid so I can leave it closed but allow for evaporation to cool things off. I wish I had retained the stock fans that were mounted for the lights. They were small ones,, maybe 80mm in size. (can't recall exactly) :)
Question for ya. How did you go about mounting them? Also, can you link them together in the app? Thanks! I may go this route

reefiteasy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I recall coming across a local reefer who had modified his biocube with 2 of the 12” AI blades, one glow and one grow and the tank looked fantastic. Don’t have pics and have no idea how he went about it, but something to consider

Dread Pirate Dave

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question for ya. How did you go about mounting them? Also, can you link them together in the app? Thanks! I may go this route
Once you remove the stock lighting components you'll see the plastic standoffs underneath. I used some aluminum flat bar stock across the standoffs. (reusing stock mounting screws) I also used a dremel to clear up the stock fan area. The runners the lights are attached to are anchored with double sided 3m tape. The light's tops are wider so they are laid flat, clamped between two pieces of bar stock. (if that makes sense) :)

You an not group the lights in their app. Also, the one thing I really don't like about these lights is if they lose power you have to reconnect with the app to set the schedule time again. Unless you lost power exactly at midnight, briefly. lol

Dread Pirate Dave

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recall coming across a local reefer who had modified his biocube with 2 of the 12” AI blades, one glow and one grow and the tank looked fantastic. Don’t have pics and have no idea how he went about it, but something to consider
If I was to do it again I'd go this route. The fluvals have way to many cool white leds compared to blues. And as I said, I wish they had a UV channel for coral pop. Also don't have to set schedule time after they lose power. :)

Dread Pirate Dave

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may also want to consider going @kevgib67 's route. He has some spectacular results. :)

OP
OP
OceanMinded

OceanMinded

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is actually a great idea thank you!

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back