Nano Tangs Wen?

Tamberav

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I rehome my scolies, acantho, etc. I do have an acan and a hammer tho...

hammer probably safe, most fish don't like euphyllia, mine never touched acans but some fish like em

The little pygmy/cherub is regarded as one of the safest, flame back probably similar

Coral beautys and flame angels are pretty commonly kept too.

Lemon peels are generally not safe :)

FYI plenty of small tangs like tomini may not touch hair algae either. Not uncommon for bristletooths to not eat hair algae. Just poo to feed it. Would be hit or miss.

Zebramosa are better grazers but grow larger, more active, Convict tangs do well too but they are delicate also need larger space.

Mini rabbitfish would probably be even better for algae control than tangs and easy to keep, if only they stayed small.

Last edited:

crazyfishmom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Maybe that should be my project in retirement. Find the gene for a form of dwarfism in fish and then genetically engineer a tang that stays about 2-3 inches long… come to think of it that would not be a tang. Just because we may be able to do it doesn’t mean we should.

OP
OP
enlighten

enlighten

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe that should be my project in retirement. Find the gene for a form of dwarfism in fish and then genetically engineer a tang that stays about 2-3 inches long… come to think of it that would not be a tang. Just because we may be able to do it doesn’t mean we should.
As long as we keep it in the hobby and out of the oceans. Tangs are just the stepping stone to more fish. I feel like a villain saying this, but pygmy clowns for pico tanks.

OP
OP
enlighten

enlighten

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hammer probably safe, most fish don't like euphyllia, mine never touched acans but some fish like em

The little pygmy/cherub is regarded as one of the safest, flame back probably similar

Coral beautys and flame angels are pretty commonly kept too.

Lemon peels are generally not safe :)

FYI plenty of small tangs like tomini may not touch hair algae either. Not uncommon for bristletooths to not eat hair algae. Just poo to feed it. Would be hit or miss.

Zebramosa are better grazers but grow larger, more active, Convict tangs do well too but they are delicate also need larger space.

Mini rabbitfish would probably be even better for algae control than tangs and easy to keep, if only they stayed small.
Thanks for the insight! Angels are sounding like a better option for the showpiece fish in my tank. I may hold off on adding any more fish atm. I have been noticing my clowns doing breeding behavior and I dont want to disturb them. They must feel real safe atm, adding another fish I am sure will disrupt it.

southeastfishaddict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
400 Gallons- Not mg. I rarely change water as I do 2 gal a day exchanges, use triple filter socks, UV unit, algae scrubber and large protein skimmer

1726526402456.png
Yes, obviously 400 gallons .. not mg.. lol. Very nice tank! How are your nitrates & phosphates? I can imagine you feed that tank a lot! I’ve been changing out 15 gallons every other day in my 165, to keep the nitrates below 30. I feed 3-4 times a day, all frozen. I have five tangs and 25 fish total. Everything is doing well, coral, anemones, cleaner & blood shrimp.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Yes, obviously 400 gallons .. not mg.. lol. Very nice tank! How are your nitrates & phosphates? I can imagine you feed that tank a lot! I’ve been changing out 15 gallons every other day in my 165, to keep the nitrates below 30. I feed 3-4 times a day, all frozen. I have five tangs and 25 fish total. Everything is doing well, coral, anemones, cleaner & blood shrimp.
I do daily 2-3 gallon water changes and as of yesterday- Po4 was .078 and nitrates at 12.4
I utilize auto feeder and they get frozen at night and will consume an easy 4-6 of frozen food

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
I got a “nano” angel!! Lol just dont tell him he is going to be a 15 inch fish just yet lol I want to enjoy his tiny cuteness :)
This angel will eventually go after softies and anything with polyps

littlefoxx

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This angel will eventually go after softies and anything with polyps
Yeah he is only in the reef temporarily until he is big enough not to be eel food! My big tank is FOWLR

littlefoxx

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the store he was actually chasing some full grown chocolate tangs around if they came near his fake plant that had algae growing on it lol. I was like ooo spunky little one!

Biota_Marine

Jake At Biota
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it just me or does everyone want a tang suitable for a nano tank? Can we get some bio-engineers on this or do I just need to suck it up and get a bigger tank?
Maybe for our next April Fool's post...

There's "stubby" clownfish but even then they aren't that much smaller than their counterparts. Unfortunately, I'm not seeing nano tang being much smaller if possible.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back