Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Holy cow! There is a whole lot of stuff going on here. Even built your own controller??? Do you sleep? You win!

Group_Bow_zps6c788f33.gif

Nutramar Foods

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
message_1540770437171-jpg.876110

@Erica-Renee - I saw on the ReefPi thread that you mentioned needing a float switch that was reversed from what you had. Maybe I didn't understand what you meant (most of that thread is way over my head anyway), or you weren't speaking about these switches above, but you know that you can just flip the float portion of the switch upside down and it will work in reverse of the way they are now. You are Superwoman though, so you probably knew that already and I am the dumb one that didn't understand what the heck you were talking about. Nice rack / PVC float switch holder you made there, BTW. :)

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Diamond1

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sump and Controller testing underway , This will be ran and tweaked thru the week in preparation to put into service Very soon . Remember this is NOT Completed Wiring Do not attempt this on your own if you do not know what you are doing. Saltwater and Electric do not mix well.

View attachment 876109 View attachment 876110 View attachment 876111 View attachment 876112 View attachment 876113 View attachment 876114 View attachment 876115 View attachment 876116

More Dreaded Dungeon Paint room photos ...

Nice. Looks like a big project!

Although I don't see any red wires coming out of your relays.....:p
Just kidding. Your reef pi looks great.

OP
OP
E

Erica-Renee

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
message_1540770437171-jpg.876110

@Erica-Renee - I saw on the ReefPi thread that you mentioned needing a float switch that was reversed from what you had. Maybe I didn't understand what you meant (most of that thread is way over my head anyway), or you weren't speaking about these switches above, but you know that you can just flip the float portion of the switch upside down and it will work in reverse of the way they are now. You are Superwoman though, so you probably knew that already and I am the dumb one that didn't understand what the heck you were talking about. Nice rack / PVC float switch holder you made there, BTW. :)
Yes I realized i can turn one of them over and i DID. But the way i have them the Wires are protected from any water. So i want one that is Revered or I Will RECONSIDER how my Switch holder will be.. That is a temp holder as one of those switches will be in my Skimmer Collection Bucket, One of them will be in the display tank Just above the water level.. Its a BLACK Side mount type. I may even put one in the top of the exterior over flow box .

OP
OP
E

Erica-Renee

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Holy cow! There is a whole lot of stuff going on here. Even built your own controller??? Do you sleep? You win!

View attachment 876146
Once in a while . This controller has been in the works for a while.I have never been totally happy with my existing sump situation . So I am testing everything on the new Sump. If need be i will make changes before i put it in use . Still need to make heater brackets.. Dosing hose Brackets, and One of the baffles needs a tweak . Then of course i have to Drill hole for my REEFLOW RETURN Pump.. Hammerhead

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar
OP
OP
E

Erica-Renee

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice. Looks like a big project!

Although I don't see any red wires coming out of your relays.....:p
Just kidding. Your reef pi looks great.
They are all Black Silly Red is for a 3 way switch or a wired carried thru a circuit... That relay will be in a METAL BOX Mounted to a Concrete wall Connected to the Transfer switch breaker panel for Generator.. Like the other Aquarium Circuits.. I just do not have the Tranfer switch YET!! still deciding what i want. We have the Generator thou..

Brew12

Electrical Gru
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are all Black Silly Red is for a 3 way switch or a wired carried thru a circuit... That relay will be in a METAL BOX Mounted to a Concrete wall Connected to the Transfer switch breaker panel for Generator.. Like the other Aquarium Circuits.. I just do not have the Tranfer switch YET!! still deciding what i want. We have the Generator thou..
Because if it is worth doing, it is worth over doing! ;Woot

I love the thought you are putting into this!

OP
OP
E

Erica-Renee

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because if it is worth doing, it is worth over doing! ;Woot

I love the thought you are putting into this!
This is why I ALMOST!! Never have call Backs on my Work .

OFF Topic but here is a Job i Just completed ..
20181018_170652.jpg 20181018_170702.jpg 20181018_170718.jpg 20181018_170746.jpg

Fin

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I realized i can turn one of them over and i DID. But the way i have them the Wires are protected from any water. So i want one that is Revered or I Will RECONSIDER how my Switch holder will be.. That is a temp holder as one of those switches will be in my Skimmer Collection Bucket, One of them will be in the display tank Just above the water level.. Its a BLACK Side mount type. I may even put one in the top of the exterior over flow box .
Hmm. What I was talking about doesn’t involve any repositioning of wires. Just take the clip off of the post and flip the little float thingy upside down and put the clip back on. Maybe I just didn’t have enough coffee this morning. I was kinda in a coma when I sort of woke up this morning. Excuse me if I am stating the obvious again. Old brain cells will do that. :)

Last edited:

Brew12

Electrical Gru
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corals.com

Fin

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
E

Erica-Renee

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm. What I was talking about doesn’t involve any repositioning of wires. Just take the clip off of the post and flip the little float thingy upside down and put the clip back on. Maybe I nust didn’t have enough coffee this morning. I was kinda in a coma when I sort of woke up this morning. Excuse me if I am stating the obvious again. Old brain cells will do that. :)

Yes I did NOT Know they were reversible This Controllable LOW Voltage Stuff is Kinda new to me. Someone in the Reef-pi thread pointed this out and I revered the ring and its WORKING ..

Thanks for explaining this to me.. NOW GET Some water in it. sheesh

OP
OP
E

Erica-Renee

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! Great job on that! Beautiful.

This is how i am able to have the Aquarium,House,Food,and Everything else. This one was STUCK in the 60s.. I will post some pics of the whole job in the off topic thread later today. They are still on my Camera in the Van. This project was a COMPLETE Tear out due to moving water closet for toilet relocation

Top Shelf Aquatics

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
umm ERica what is Up with the oddlY placed capital letters? o_O

That's some beautiful tile work. Beautiful bathroom. I want to redo my bathroom too. and put new counters in the kitchen. but I would rather go campimg, fourwheeling, and go to Disney...or just pay for my oldest offsprings college. le sigh. yeah, that again. It is all about choices, and compromise right? le sigh.

OP
OP
E

Erica-Renee

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
umm ERica what is Up with the oddlY placed capital letters? o_O

That's some beautiful tile work. Beautiful bathroom. I want to redo my bathroom too. and put new counters in the kitchen. but I would rather go campimg, fourwheeling, and go to Disney...or just pay for my oldest offsprings college. le sigh. yeah, that again. It is all about choices, and compromise right? le sigh.
I like things to be ODD ...

Paying someone to do it is best in the long run. My brother is a Auto Mechanic and i still take my vehicles to garage. Family Dealings seem to never work in my opinion. This is i think the 4th or 5th bathroom i have done this year. Last year i did more kitchens. this year i have only done one full Kitchen reno and a few Kitchen upgrade jobs,A Full basement build it Which included a bathroom and a bunch of misc stuff of course.

Its time to slow down a bit for me the remainder of the year .

Avast

mixer911

Make them green with envy
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
new-tank-plumbing-to-basement-jpg.874146

Hi Erica, this is not the correct way to plumb the overflow system. Each drain needs to be separated and draining individually into the sump. By tying them together it will reduce the flow rate. How much flow are you running?

OP
OP
E

Erica-Renee

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
new-tank-plumbing-to-basement-jpg.874146

Hi Erica, this is not the correct way to plumb the overflow system. Each drain needs to be separated and draining individually into the sump. By tying them together it will reduce the flow rate. How much flow are you running?

Right now Estimated with a Bucket I am getting about 2k to 2100 flow. I have experimented with the Bean animal over flow and it actually does work at a length this short when the water is flowing straight down then at a Distance.

My issue with the Over flow is NOT Flow or even noise from the back box drain down .I believe my issue is a Under Current Just beneath the water Surface in front of the over flow .I have been experimenting with Creating the best flow into the weir to pull the most Debris out of the tank. I had this issue with one i notched similar thou mine was done with a Router Jig i made not molded where the teeth were wider at the top.

Lowering the flow rate by bypassing more water to the sump or throttling down the pump with at Ball valve on the Output at the return pump does solve the issue when you get the flow down to around 1200 gph . This causes the water to flow Over the weir at the bottom of the notch pulling the water not just at the surface but slightly below up and over .
My stated flow rates are tested with a Bucket and timer so not totally accurate but close enough

Here is what happens as best i can describe.
If i put flake food in the tank to feed the fish and watch it go across the top of the tank It goes right into the over flow and out as it should.But partials Just under the surface of the water as it approaches the over flow box it gets pushes out and away . Meaning the box is only skimming the Very top surface and not pulling debris up and over the weir teeth that are under the surface. Im talking like 1/32 maybe 1/64th inch of water. My Water surface is about mid ways on the teeth. If i slow my pump to what i guess is around 1k a hour (did not test this rate ) To where the water level going over the weir is just at the bottom of the teeth the undercurrent pushing away from the box does not appear to be there.
My Plan to test to see if the above is the issue or if its just the face that 16 inch is not enough surface area to skim from or some other issue Maybe EVEN HUMAN ERROR. I am going to build a new weir with a Slot at the water level of my tank and one with square notched teeth . There is also plenty of water drop from the inside box to the exterior box to pull debris thru.

I just know that this undercurrent pushing debris right below the surface is keeping my tank from clearing up . Above is my theory based on my experience over the years as i am sure you have done extensive testing on the device as well. I also know not every tank or plumbing system works the same.

I do think your Product is well build and Perfect for most tanks that do not need more then 1k to 1500 gph which apparently is what your over flow box was designed for . Not the 3 k that its capable of . I would recommend this product for tanks who need that range of flow every day of the week if they do not have the experience , tools or time to build one..

I think one flaw in this box design is the fact you MUST Glue onto it. The output on bottom of the external over flow box should be Male Threaded . AND Have a Warning Label to use Teflon pipe sealant not Tape to seal it . As sealant will not break abs or poly carbonate like tape will.

I hope you find this as Respectful and explanatory of my issue and what i Believe the cause is as i have tried to make it and that this is not a Complaint or bashing the Product ,In My opinion right now Its just capable of properly skimming for more then 1 to 1.5 k of water as apparently were your Initial recommendations . I also knew before i installed it this weir was a Issue based on my Past experience tweaking my internal overflow weir for best performance not just GPH...

Erica Renee .

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

BSA
Back