My tank is dying and I don’t know why!!! I’m frustrated and sad, please help!

BRS
OP
OP
LukeWolf

LukeWolf

Valuable Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think corrosion by any lost metal items, that should increase some metals in addition to tin. Probably the new PVC and the livestock tank. These apparently can have that effect- something in the manufacturing process.

Interesting, thanks!

CLICK TO VIEW

rustyreefer

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you considered trying sending in a sample to a professional testing company? Like Triton ICP testing kits?
Might be a good next step. They will test all kinds of things and let you know what could be considered harmful levels.
I would spend 50 bucks on that before adding another coral to the tank if they are just dying on you.
Bulk reef supply has them along with a few videos.

OP
OP
LukeWolf

LukeWolf

Valuable Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you considered trying sending in a sample to a professional testing company? Like Triton ICP testing kits?
Might be a good next step. They will test all kinds of things and let you know what could be considered harmful levels.
I would spend 50 bucks on that before adding another coral to the tank if they are just dying on you.
Bulk reef supply has them along with a few videos.

Yes, I am ordering a triton test today. Thank you for the advice!

CLICK TO VIEW

DHill6

Valuable Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a suggestion here...try Panta Lith, Unique corals carries it. If there’s a contaminant in the water the zeolites bind with them and are exported through skimming. Also I would continue with weekly water changes to help replenish. Last suggestion a rip clean, I gave done this myself to rid algae.

CuzzA

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think you'll get a refund. Being magnetic might be undesirable, but isn't in itself a defect. And if this is supposed to be Hawaiian sand, Hawaii has reefs, and they do pretty good when people aren't raiding them.
The problem with volcanic sand is there's no telling what elements were melted and mixed on their way out of the earth in lava. There very well could be areas devoid of life that is sensitive to high concentrations of metals. Also, the current around the island and volume of water in the ocean would obviously dilute or even make metal compounds hardly measurable. We don't have that luxury in our closed systems.

CuzzA

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, would it do any good to call Caribsea and tell them the sand is magnetic? Or Petco, which is where I ordered it from. Not sure if they would send me a refund or replacement sand.
I would. You never know. Someone may be in a good mood and send you replacement aragonite sand.

jda

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tin usually comes in the salt mix. There does not seem to be much evidence that it is an issue in the home aquarium.

If you remove the sand, then do small sections all the way down while siphoning all the "stuff" out too. Make sure that your tank water stays clean. It will take a lot of fresh water to get this done. Be careful not to overfeed and have more freshly mixed saltwater on had - you are going to remove a bio filter, so keep this in mind.

OP
OP
LukeWolf

LukeWolf

Valuable Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a suggestion here...try Panta Lith, Unique corals carries it. If there’s a contaminant in the water the zeolites bind with them and are exported through skimming. Also I would continue with weekly water changes to help replenish. Last suggestion a rip clean, I gave done this myself to rid algae.

Thanks! I’ll look into this!

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
LukeWolf

LukeWolf

Valuable Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tin usually comes in the salt mix. There does not seem to be much evidence that it is an issue in the home aquarium.

If you remove the sand, then do small sections all the way down while siphoning all the "stuff" out too. Make sure that your tank water stays clean. It will take a lot of fresh water to get this done. Be careful not to overfeed and have more freshly mixed saltwater on had - you are going to remove a bio filter, so keep this in mind.

Thank you, I will keep this in mind if I do it

AquaCave Logo Banner

Hemmdog

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem with volcanic sand is there's no telling what elements were melted and mixed on their way out of the earth in lava. There very well could be areas devoid of life that is sensitive to high concentrations of metals. Also, the current around the island and volume of water in the ocean would obviously dilute or even make metal compounds hardly measurable. We don't have that luxury in our closed systems.
+1 exactly!!! I wish they would stop selling the stuff! It’s criminal! Reef ruiner!

Sorry about your troubles @LukeWolf , it’s the “sand” for sure, how can they even call it that.. “metal chunks” would be a more accurate title.

OP
OP
LukeWolf

LukeWolf

Valuable Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 exactly!!! I wish they would stop selling the stuff! It’s criminal! Reef ruiner!

Sorry about your troubles @LukeWolf , it’s the “sand” for sure, how can they even call it that.. “metal chunks” would be a more accurate title.

Haha, indeed! They should at least put a warning on the package!! The funny thing is I used nature’s ocean black sand in my last tank and had no issues, but for my large tank I went with the cheaper option. In the long run cheaper isn’t always better. Lol. Hopefully I will get it fixed soon.

World Wide Corals

CuzzA

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would be the best sand for me to replace mine with that is reasonable? Any non volcanic sand? Lol
Fiji Pink or Special Grade. If you have a really high flow system go with the Special Grade.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fiji Pink or Special Grade. If you have a really high flow system go with the Special Grade.
+1, special grade

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Arthacker87

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure eitnhas been said a 1000x salinity 1.025-1.027 seems to be sweet spot, temp 76-80° (keep mine at 79) do not wash carbon bags or any filter stuff with anything but ro water for right now until tank is leveled out. dOnt wash hands with anything but ro if putting in the tank. And let it run after you have done all this for a few weeks to stable out. Then try a coral. Low salinity is a big thing imo

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back