My Reef Tank Just Became Not Fun! Apex Crash!

BRS

zoomonster

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm about ready to break down and buy a display for Apex like I used to have before Fusion. I have wondered if something was going on with Fusion i.e. maintenance or issues the past few months or an Apex issue. On 1gb internet with multiple routers and Apex is all of 10ft from the router it's on (Asus AX5700 Wifi 6 on 2.5gb connection to modem). The past few months I have had frequent disconnects usually when I need to do stuff. A lot of times it's difficult to get it back up even after full power off. When it loses Fusion connectivity everything else in the house works fine. Fortunately, no issues with devices but just can't control them. I may go back to hardwired but have put it off because of no real clean route for the cable.

Interesting thing is we used to have very momentary power outs and Apex would come up before modem and router and never try to reconnect unless I powered it off. That issue seems to have been fixed in some update and now it has this issue of just all out losing connectivity. Granted sometimes it does that and eventually reconnects.

Last edited:
Nutramar Foods

FishTruck

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never fully trust my apex... had that issue too where is was disconnecting 100 times per day. Online support sorted it out with booting and rebooting and updating eventually works. I do love it for monitoring and complex control commands.

Here is what does not run on my apex. Lights. ATO. Main Pump. Power heads. Calcium reactor, RO/DI, auto-feeders.

Here is what I let my apex control. Kalk stirrer, AWC / dialysis system, heater, RO flush, ozone, skimmer.

Other controllers also at work - Ecotech - lights, Deltec Calcium reactor, Orphek- lights, Dummy timers, Feit smart plugs, appliance restart timers surge protectors.

Seems a little complicated... but no one system failure should be able to take down the system. I am going back and forth about letting the apex control the ATO system (to shut it off in the event of a sump overfill or system leak).

Last edited:

zoomonster

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never fully trust my apex... had that issue too where is was disconnecting 100 times per day. Online support sorted it out with booting and rebooting and updating eventually works. I do love it for monitoring and complex control commands.

Here is what does not run on my apex. Lights. ATO. Main Pump. Power heads. Calcium reactor, RO/DI, autofeeders.

Here is what I let my apex control. Kalk stirrer, AWC / dialysis system, heater, RO flush, ozone, skimmer.

Other controllers also at work - Ecotech - lights, Deltec Calcium reactor, Orphek- lights, Dummy timers, Feit smart plugs, appliance restart timers surge protectors.

Seems a little complicated... but no one system failure should be able to take down the system.

Yeah I should have said that too... most stuff on Apex for the sake of just power on/off during feed mode etc. or redundancy like the heater and chiller. The only thing it truly controls are MP40's w/o Mobius chip, CO2 injection for CaRX and ORP. Most of the stuff I can just plug into power strip temporarily like I had to do when EB832 bit the dust. I also use two EB8's I've had for ages that have never had an issue.

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
AKL1950

AKL1950

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, my Apex is in a box to go to Neptune tomorrow. Most of the important stuff is still running without it. All of the Energy Bars are flashing looking for Apex, but they still function. Powerheads, skimmer, pumps, lights and UV are working fine without the Apex. For a while I will be in manual mode for dosing, manual water top offs, water changes and non Apex testing till l get the Apex back and decide how I want to use it now that I’ve experienced it’s downside. Temp is okay right now so I don’t need the heaters. Having everything go through Apex is really convenient, but I agree that a single point failure is not the way to go. May have to rethink my setup.

BeanAnimal

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My apex is a point of sale in regards to WIF. i gave up about 6 months ago and ran a hard line. Not one disconnect since. before i would have some major random stuff happening. 1st "fusion heartbeat disconnected" then all hell breaks lose, random outlets go off and power bar cycles itself... once on hard line I haven't had as much as a single issue... :) lose the wifi and just hard wire it. and just to make it more confusing. i hard wired for a bit to a google router which was wireless meshed, still no issues. :-/.

apex wireless radio = garbage
Sounds like the whole architecture is a mess.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back