Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this thread is over two years old but I wanted everyone to be aware of a similar problem that is occurring with my Marco Rock. Approximately 6 months ago, I bought 200- lbs of Marco Rock (all shapes and sizes) from BRS. I spent considerable time cleaning and soaking the rock to get all the dust and fine particles off. I then spent over two weeks getting my aquascaping looking ”just right”. My tank is 365 and has been running now for 5 months. Recently, I noticed a lot of small pieces of Marco Rock all over the bottom of my tank (bare bottom tank) along with a large amount of granular dust particles that are starting to make the tank really unclear. The rock clearly has something wrong as no matter how much time I spend sucking-up the fine particles on the bottom, a couple days later its covered with fine particles again. I thought when I bought Marco Rock from BRS I was getting a highly reputable/quality product. It really doesn’t do any of use any good to hear we “might have gotten a bad batch”….NO batches should be bad for what we spend on this rock. It‘s so painful to see what’s happening as I have patiently done everything by-the-book in setting-up my new tank.

Stuff happens. These days it’s more frequent. Cost, quality, speed. Choose two kind of deal particularly in this age.

Have you ever owned a home, or a card or anything else that is more expensive and that has had problems? For what we pay, those things should be flawless and last!

What is the threshold for when bad QA is acceptable? 100,000$, 10,000$, 1,000$, 100$, 10$? Even video games are released these days with seemingly more bugs than promised features.

I’m not saying it is okay. But I am saying that people saying “bad batch” may not be wrong. If you determine and can agree that is the issue, then your beef is with the product and the manufacturer. Call them.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

robbyg

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bad batch. I've had Real Reef going for upwards of 5 years with no issues. Real Reef needs to make you whole on this.
Five years means it’s still really a Beta product.
You really want to know for certain that your rock will go for decades. If your successful then the 5-10 year mark is when the tank will look fantastic.
For some skilled people it will only keep getting better with time.

Karliefish

Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ivery

I've never heard that with Marco rock. Isn't Marco Rock old rock mined from Florida's ancient reefs?
I would imagine that you are still getting loose bits out or small fractures from when it was mined and broken

Real reef rock is man made. I can see how that would fail.
Exactly what I thought and was expecting, sadly I’m still sucking-up lots of rock particles. Making a mess of the tank…hoping it will turn the corner here soon and stop!

CLICK TO VIEW

Karliefish

Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stuff happens. These days it’s more frequent. Cost, quality, speed. Choose two kind of deal particularly in this age.

Have you ever owned a home, or a card or anything else that is more expensive and that has had problems? For what we pay, those things should be flawless and last!

What is the threshold for when bad QA is acceptable? 100,000$, 10,000$, 1,000$, 100$, 10$? Even video games are released these days with seemingly more bugs than promised features.

I’m not saying it is okay. But I am saying that people saying “bad batch” may not be wrong. If you determine and can agree that is the issue, then your beef is with the product and the manufacturer. Call them.
Yup - totally agree. It just seems to be more the norm on poor quality (bad batches). It could be that the demand is out-stripping good quality these days. In the meantime, I‘ll keep sucking-up the particles as they fall off and hopefully the rock will settle down here soon.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
RED SEA
Back