My pico reef jars!

william Lutman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone! The last time I posted I was asking about a 10 gallon reef tank...however, it has since become apparent that I will need that tank to raise fry from my freshwater setups. Thus, for now I will be setting up a 1 gallon reef jar...here is it as of right now;
Reef jar 6 21 2024.jpeg
Here are the planned specs, based on what I found online;
LIGHT - Not entirely sure, but likely a custom light from an ebay seller I've purchased reef lighting from before. If that falls through, an ABI 12W tuna blue Par38 bulb.
CIRCULATION - An air pump with an air stone.
SALT - Plain ol' instant ocean, 9.5 tablespoons per gallon of distilled water. Currently waiting for it to arrive in the mail...
LID - The jar came with a lid, but its shape is not conducive to placing a light directly on the reef jar, so unless I go with the Par38 bulb I will simply use a sheet of plastic wrap with a hole poked in it that I will replace weekly.
NUTRIENT EXPORT - 100% or close weekly water change.
CORALS - Unsure of specific genera, but mostly softies with some LPS. NO SPS, zoanthids, or palythoas (the latter two because palytoxin scares me)
OTHER LIFE - Copepods, likely some snails (exact number TBD), maybe a sexy shrimp, maybe some macroalgae. Definitely no fish...far too small for fish (personally I am a firm believer in 5 gallons being the bare minimum for long term housing for any adult fish).
SETUP - Cycle the tank, then add copepods and the light, then begin adding corals.

If any of you have experience setting up jars similar to this I would deeply appreciate your input on my setup as it develops. Thank you :)
Old Chicago Reefs had a 1 gallon frag grow out. We all had to use same tank and local store did blind draw - just zoas.

Make sure you have enough filtration. It gets increasingly difficult to hold parameters stable as water volume goes down. Temperature control again it's the fluctuations felt like something was always a miss. Lots of them melted. There was a clear winner. Forget all their tricks.

I still have the tank. No water since the grow out.

Peace and may your water remain stable.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back