Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mike - are you seriously still considering sitting a 700lb frag tank on top of your sump... with maybe some foam?

Can't wait to see that. Sounds like high stakes Jenga to me especially as everything will be plumbed into that sump ;)

The new vid is great by the way. I have been looking at phyto reactors after watching your speech at the frag club that Rico shot. There are a few around that are not so crazy expensive as that Italian one. In the US https://poseidonreefsystems.com/p/dosing-information may be something to look at - hope to hear a lot more about it.

Also if you were setting a new tank today and didn't have the rock would you get some live rock?

Thanks again - so much great info here ;)

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Mike - great post and this provides great additional information.

The recent video with Rico on YouTube is awesome and everyone should watch it who likes this article.

Georgi, Mike has also done a heap of YouTube videos through American Reef. There is one where he goes through a bunch of equipment that he uses to save time. Mike can correct me if I have something wrong but from watching his videos once the tank is established Mike doesn't have much to do. He has connected up all the RODI stuff etc. and his Calcium Reactor is a special type that uses larger chunks of media that takes a long time to dissolve is super simple to clean (I think he has cleaned it once in a year). He feeds often and has a lot of fish. He has always experimented but does have a method and strategy to most things especially with ways he can save time ;) That is what I learned in those videos at least ;)

Thanks for the video!
Mr. Paletta wrote in the article:

"First, the best tank I have ever had was the 500-gallon tank that preceded the 1200. It was literally packed top to bottom with thriving colorful healthy colonies and did not require a whole lot of work."

That tank had metal halides and colorful corals!!! The pictures in the article show that!
Why is he promoting LEDs so much and diminishing halides in that video?
Doesn't make any sense! Why does he say corals are brown under halides????

What's going on with Mr. Paletta's talking about lighting here @10:13 ???
We have 150W, 175W, 250W, 400W and 1000W halide options. Each should be used depending on the need for it's application. Also, 10K, 14K, 20K... Not really necessary to use the 65Ks! Metal halides, when well planned and used for that particular system, will give the very best growth AND colors to ANY tank with SPS corals. Sunlight is the very best for colors and growth!!! 6500K bulbs will give you amazing colors and growth as well!!!!
Some of that will depend on nutrient control and export, yes!
This LED promotion isn't cool!! He is totally mistaken going that route! We all know that a 6500K bulb or sunlight will give the APPEARANCE of a brownish (actually yellowish) color by reflection of that spectrum from the source to our eyes. The colors of the corals, meaning their natural pigments, will still be there! Go diving and observe a piece of coral in very shallow water. If it is pink, it is PINK! The green is GREEN!! Normally their colors are even brighter than when you find the same species in deeper waters.
If you choose a metal halide like the Radium with the proper ballast, for example, you will have AMAZING colors and growth. Much better than ANY LED available in the market IMHO! Are you kidding me!? There is an unfortunate misleading in regards to this topic that is going around like a dragon. IMHO LEDs are mostly a hype that many of the relatively new aquarists are grabbing as the best artificial light source available today, but they don't really know any better nor have experiences for comparison. Sad to see Mr. Paletta saying all that, because he knows better!! Brown corals under halides? Not truth, Sr.! Not if you offer the correct intensity and spectrum. The fact that the blue diodes reflect on the corals differently than some of the halide bulbs doesn't mean they are any healthier either. Pure blue reflection to refresh your "blues" taste. The proof of that is in many videos. Not to mention T5s which are one of the best artificial light sources for coloration with tremendous ability for growth and anatomy distribution in shallow reef tanks.
Best of all? Halides/T5s.

Remember WWC systems with halides???? Exceptional colors and amazing growth!!! Much better than with the Radions they are under now IMHO. How is the growth after all the years under Radions?
By the way... I believe "Radion" is a word after one of the very best halides for reef tanks: Radium.
Definitely not a substitution!!
What about Dr. Sanjay's halides?? Were they brown under his halides??? Does anyone agree that he had much better colors and growth with those halides??

Is this video about promoting LEDs and disproving halides? What is this? A club? The information isn't accurate to say the least, with all the respect. I appreciate Mr. Paletta a lot and have been reading his articles for many years since the 90's. Sad to hear such observations. I still appreciate Mr. Paletta for sharing his time passing his tips to all of us.

I would hope there was a miscommunication in the video, although it sounds clear the way he did.
I choose to respect all people who prefers LEDs over halides, T5s or whatever. I just don't think it's fair when companies and people try to paint a bad image of the halides and T5s, saying their LEDs are better. That has been used in the past as a marketing strategy and isn't a true statement.

They have the right to say their LEDs are better, I do have my right to say what I think as well.

Brown corals? Haha!

Peace!

Last edited:
Nutramar Foods

dmarott1

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mike, I am so looking forward to your new build. I too am so tired of being a contortionist when maintaining my two tanks. I have a trying time when using a ladder and have no desire to break a hip. I am a senior person of 66 and not as limber as I once was. I will be watching for the rest of your build and evaluating if the design will work for me. So far I think it will. Best of luck and keep us all posted of your adventure.
Diane

Bouncingsoul39

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the video!
Mr. Paletta wrote in the article:

"First, the best tank I have ever had was the 500-gallon tank that preceded the 1200. It was literally packed top to bottom with thriving colorful healthy colonies and did not require a whole lot of work."

That tank had metal halides and colorful corals!!! The pictures in the article show that!
Why is he promoting LEDs so much and diminishing halides in that video?
Doesn't make any sense! Why does he say corals are brown under halides????

What's going on with Mr. Paletta's talking about lighting here @10:13 ???
We have 150W, 175W, 250W, 400W and 1000W halide options. Each should be used depending on the need for it's application. Also, 10K, 14K, 20K... Not really necessary to use the 65Ks! Metal halides, when well planned and used for that particular system, will give the very best growth AND colors to ANY tank with SPS corals. Sunlight is the very best for colors and growth!!! 6500K bulbs will give you amazing colors and growth as well!!!!
Some of that will depend on nutrient control and export, yes!
This LED promotion isn't cool!! He is totally mistaken going that route! We all know that a 6500K bulb or sunlight will give the APPEARANCE of a brownish (actually yellowish) color by reflection of that spectrum from the source to our eyes. The colors of the corals, meaning their natural pigments, will still be there! Go diving and observe a piece of coral in very shallow water. If it is pink, it is PINK! The green is GREEN!! Normally their colors are even brighter than when you find the same species in deeper waters.
If you choose a metal halide like the Radium with the proper ballast, for example, you will have AMAZING colors and growth. Much better than ANY LED available in the market IMHO! Are you kidding me!? There is an unfortunate misleading in regards to this topic that is going around like a dragon. IMHO LEDs are mostly a hype that many of the relatively new aquarists are grabbing as the best artificial light source available today, but they don't really know any better nor have experiences for comparison. Sad to see Mr. Paletta saying all that, because he knows better!! Brown corals under halides? Not truth, Sr.! Not if you offer the correct intensity and spectrum. The fact that the blue diodes reflect on the corals differently than some of the halide bulbs doesn't mean they are any healthier either. Pure blue reflection to refresh your "blues" taste. The proof of that is in many videos. Not to mention T5s which are one of the best artificial light sources for coloration with tremendous ability for growth and anatomy distribution in shallow reef tanks.
Best of all? Halides/T5s.

Remember WWC systems with halides???? Exceptional colors and amazing growth!!! Much better than with the Radions they are under now IMHO. How is the growth after all the years under Radions?
By the way... I believe "Radion" is a word after one of the very best halides for reef tanks: Radium.
Definitely not a substitution!!
What about Dr. Sanjay's halides?? Were they brown under his halides??? Does anyone agree that he had much better colors and growth with those halides??

Is this video about promoting LEDs and disproving halides? What is this? A club? The information isn't accurate to say the least, with all the respect. I appreciate Mr. Paletta a lot and have been reading his articles for many years since the 90's. Sad to hear such observations. I still appreciate Mr. Paletta for sharing his time passing his tips to all of us.

I would hope there was a miscommunication in the video, although it sounds clear the way he did.
I choose to respect all people who prefers LEDs over halides, T5s or whatever. I just don't think it's fair when companies and people try to paint a bad image of the halides and T5s, saying their LEDs are better. That has been used in the past as a marketing strategy and isn't a true statement.

They have the right to say their LEDs are better, I do have my right to say what I think as well.

Brown corals? Haha!

Peace!

He's probably getting comped or heavily discounted LED fixtures from Eco-tech for the plug in the article and the video. Not really in issue in itself. It's not like he's a journalist only presenting the facts in an unbiased way here. He isn't obligated to cover all the lighting options and their pros and cons either. Take it for what it is: a hobbyists discussing tank build and his equipment preferences with opinions added.
People that know the capabilities of Halide and T5 HO will take these things with a grain of salt. Newbs may go out and buy Radions because they're the hot ticket. As long as people are spending money on the hobby and keeping it going, it's all good.

Sunny Goold

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He's probably getting comped or heavily discounted LED fixtures from Eco-tech for the plug in the article and the video. Not really in issue in itself. It's not like he's a journalist only presenting the facts in an unbiased way here. He isn't obligated to cover all the lighting options and their pros and cons either. Take it for what it is: a hobbyists discussing tank build and his equipment preferences with opinions added.
People that know the capabilities of Halide and T5 HO will take these things with a grain of salt. Newbs may go out and buy Radions because they're the hot ticket. As long as people are spending money on the hobby and keeping it going, it's all good.
A good possibility. Mike and Sanjay both use them and talk them up plus I think Ecotech sponsor American Reef but I am not so sure Mike and Sajnay talk up other Ecotech products (except MP40/60s) and you think they would if Ecotech sponsored them.
Still I am glad Ecotech sponsor a bunch of reefers that educate others and I think we should encourage this.

I am doing my first build and I can't afford Radions. Still a lot of reefers with results use them - whether they are sponsored by them or not the results show they work. So it appears to me that if you want an LED option and you have the money that the Radions will give you good results - assuming you use the right settings... and I think this is the thing about the Radions - a lot of the successful reefers are posting their schedules / settings.

I do disagree though with you on the 'journalism line'. I think everyone that has a deal with a manufacturer should be transparent about that when they talk about those products. For that very reason I trust that Mike isn't getting discounts from Ecotech and I would be disappointed if he was. In any event I am always looking for supporting evidence.

On LEDs I feel like there is an aura around some brands having some magic sauce whereas with things like wavemakers it is really just about build quality, design and the controller. I suspect that in the not too distant future that aura will go away.

Nutramar Foods

Bouncingsoul39

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A good possibility. Mike and Sanjay both use them and talk them up plus I think Ecotech sponsor American Reef but I am not so sure Mike and Sajnay talk up other Ecotech products (except MP40/60s) and you think they would if Ecotech sponsored them.
Still I am glad Ecotech sponsor a bunch of reefers that educate others and I think we should encourage this.

I am doing my first build and I can't afford Radions. Still a lot of reefers with results use them - whether they are sponsored by them or not the results show they work. So it appears to me that if you want an LED option and you have the money that the Radions will give you good results - assuming you use the right settings... and I think this is the thing about the Radions - a lot of the successful reefers are posting their schedules / settings.

I do disagree though with you on the 'journalism line'. I think everyone that has a deal with a manufacturer should be transparent about that when they talk about those products. For that very reason I trust that Mike isn't getting discounts from Ecotech and I would be disappointed if he was. In any event I am always looking for supporting evidence.

On LEDs I feel like there is an aura around some brands having some magic sauce whereas with things like wavemakers it is really just about build quality, design and the controller. I suspect that in the not too distant future that aura will go away.

I don't trust anyone other than my Wife and Former President Obama. Lets just ask him. @Mike Paletta are you getting comped by Eco-tech in any way for your endorsement of their products in this article, other articles, this Youtube clip or others? Or any other benefits from the manufacturer that may affect your opinion of them? It a really good thing for us all to know.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
Review score
+5 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+5 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I don't trust anyone other than my Wife and Former President Obama. Lets just ask him. @Mike Paletta are you getting comped by Eco-tech in any way for your endorsement of their products in this article, other articles, this Youtube clip or others? Or any other benefits from the manufacturer that may affect your opinion of them? It a really good thing for us all to know.

Oh boy, the Pandora's box has been cracked open.

https://www.ftc.gov/tips-advice/bus...tcs-endorsement-guides-what-people-are-asking

https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/154235?hl=en

Bouncingsoul39

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But has it though? @Mike Paletta has yet to respond to my request for him to make clear his relationships with the companies he is endorsing in his "articles".
I would say that you should probably drop the topic as the purpose of this thread is not to interrogate mike. He is here to share his build/experience and get feedback/input from others. Why dont you talk to him separately and then you can share the answer however you like elsewhere. Please respect the purpose of the thread.

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But has it though? @Mike Paletta has yet to respond to my request for him to make clear his relationships with the companies he is endorsing in his "articles".
Do you know Mike, have you met him ? I personally have and have nothing but respect for him. He is a pioneer here, and well respected guru in this hobby. Please let this go.

roberthu526

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Regardless of Mike’s relationship with the sponsors, he has shared a ton of experience with others and have helped many of us. Now it would be nice if Mike could clear it out, but the purpose of this thread is not about product review or promotion so it is inappropriate to bring this up.

Bouncingsoul39

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regardless of Mike’s relationship with the sponsors, he has shared a ton of experience with others and have helped many of us. Now it would be nice if Mike could clear it out, but the purpose of this thread is not about product review or promotion so it is inappropriate to bring this up.

I disagree and will not be bullied or peer pressured into anything by anyone. Thanks.

Top Shelf Aquatics

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I do believe that is required for reviews on YouTube- acknowledging whether an endorsement is sponsored, but if a company sends you stuff and you just say you like it on a forum/article, it may have different requirements. He gets tons a ton of stuff from companies, for good reason. Don’t see why you’re all up in arms in his build thread though.

StPeteReefer

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate and value Mike Paletta's opinion regardless of who endorses or sponsors him. Hes one of the greats, and I think most people would be hard pressed to find someone with more successful experience and knowledge in the hobby. I'll be following for sure.

Gregg @ ADP

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why does he have to?

If @Mike Paletta is using a product, it’s on the merits of the quality and functionality of the product itself, not because he plugged it and got it for free.

I mean, don’t the results kind of speak for themselves? So then what difference does it make if he gets hooked up?

Nutramar Foods

medicw131

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's been enough bickering on here about Mike's choice in equipment. Who cares if he's sponsored by these companies or not? If you don't like what's going on here, don't follow along with his build thread. If you're just here to sling mud and cause drama, please vacate this thread. Go to YouTube, Facebook, Instagram, or Twitter and sling there. This isn't the place for that behavior man. I'm a nobody on this site and am well aware of that. However, it's incredibly rude to jump onto somebody's build thread and trash what they're doing. How would you like it if somebody did that to you?

Anyway, that being said, Mr. Paletta, how is the build coming along? I think you're killing us all with suspense!

mr9iron

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm excited to see the progression of this tank. Thank you Mike for sharing it with us. Could you tell me more about your plans with the Miracle Mud, how you plan to employ it in a reactor and why you use it?

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Reef Chasers Aquaculture
Back